What's new

A good frag to mate with Proraso Red?

I went on an A/S kick recently and picked up a bottle of Proraso Red. I didn't think I was a sandalwood fan, but apparently I am, and more importantly, my wife is now. :) Any of you gents know a good frag to match with it? Proraso Red's scent profile is sandalwood, and nothing but sandalwood. I'm looking at the TOBS Luxury Sandalwood, but are there others? AoS's sounds very eucalyptus-forward and hence not very appealing to me.

If you want something extremely sandalwood-forward, I'd suggest Smuggler's Soul by Lush or Sandal by Amouage. They're basically straight sandalwood (although, obviously not mysore sandalwood since that's going extinct.)
Something that's got sandalwood in it but has other notes as well would be something like Wonderwood by Comme des Garcons.

If it's the woody notes you and the ol' lady like, perhaps try something like Guerlain Vetiver or a Terre d'Hermes. Those are not quite sandalwood, but have a lot of woody/earthy accords.

If the wife wants some sandalwood for herself, you can surprise her with a bottle of Guerlain Samsara, which is basically just rose and sandalwood

Sir Trent, congrats on your A/S kick and Proraso red!
IMHO, it pairs nicely with just about any sandalwood!
Or, it's great straight without and other cologne!
Enjoy!

proraso red afterdhave.jpg

IMHO there is not such cologne that smell exactly as the Proraso Red lotion. This scent is truly amazing with notes of powder after some hours.

Hope this is OK to piggyback this thread. I waited a month for some Red AS to arrive via Amazon.
Finally came today and I hate the smell. It smells like dollar store aftershave to me. Is that what sandalwood smells like? If it is, it’s not for me.
I have a Stirling sample soap- vanilla sandalwood, and it smells nothing like this.
So i can’t return it. If anyone wants it, I’ll PIF it to you. CONUS obviously.

Hope this is OK to piggyback this thread. I waited a month for some Red AS to arrive via Amazon.
Finally came today and I hate the smell. It smells like dollar store aftershave to me. Is that what sandalwood smells like? If it is, it’s not for me.
I have a Stirling sample soap- vanilla sandalwood, and it smells nothing like this.
So i can’t return it. If anyone wants it, I’ll PIF it to you. CONUS obviously.

I’m in for a PIF! I love Proraso Red!

I also tried the Stirling. It has great performance, but smells too sweet for me.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Sandalwood is only a component in "sandalwood" scented products. I've tried many and I can hardly pick out sandalwood scent in some, while others are sickly sweet over the top sadalwood. Point is, sandalwood products will all smell differently.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I find that Proraso Wood & Spice cologne matches nicely with the Red aftershsve. It is not a straight Sandalwood, but a lovely and strong woodsy fragrance that lasts a long time. IMHO.

Have you sniffed Proraso red splash? Is that sandalwood or something else?

It’s definitely sandalwood. Pretty much nothing but, scent-wise, though it’s also rich in things like Shea oil that are great for your skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m probably going to try a bottle of the Wood and Spice per Marco’s suggestion, but while I and my lovely wife were wandering around the weirdly artsy delights of Edison, Washington this weekend, I stumbled on this:

proxy.php

It’s got more going on than the Proraso Red, but they still share a fundamental sandalwood accord and play well together.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions, y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have the Proraso AS, but do have their pre-post and shave cream, and there are times where the scent just really works. Being a bit heavier scent, I find it wonderful on cooler or winter days, but do pull it out occasionally during warm weather.

While still an 'After-Shave', I can smell the scent all day long, is Lather & Wood post-shave balm, which comes in a Sandalwood scent. - I'm not kidding, rub in on at 7:00, and you and still carry the scent that night.

Another of my favorite combinations is to follow the Proraso Red shave with a nice Bay-Rum AS, then apply a little Lather & Wood balm to moisturize. The combination is VERY pleasing, and my wife also likes it.

The only sandalwood scent Im a fan of is Trumpers sandalwood. I guess its not a true sandalwood as its mixed with some florals.

Its one of my favorite scents in my cologne collection.

Top Bottom