What's new

A Gem of a Friend

Last night a friend gave me his grandfather's GEM 1912 razor. Can you help me figure out what year it was made?

It seems that there isn't much of a choice around for single-edge blades. What are the current favorites?

$dsc_6537.jpg

$dsc_6540.jpg

$dsc_6541.jpg

The lining of these Triumph set cases is often deteriorated badly. You and I got lucky.

$100_0706.jpg

When I posted a pic of my great-grandfather's set for the first time HossierTrooper said it was probably from the mid 20s.

There basically three kinds of blades to choose from: Gem/Personna stainless, Gem PTFE-coated industrial stainless and the variously branded Gem carbon steel blades (Gem Blue Star, CVS, Treet). Try the three types and you've tried them all, pretty much.

Last edited:
Another nice Triumph set. Here's an ad from a 1923 catalog showing the various cases that the 1912 Gem came in during the mid 20's. On the right side is the 1914 Ever-Ready sets.

proxy.php

The earliest references I can find of the GEM De Luxe sets, like the Triumph, are from 1922. Here's an ad spread from the March 1922 issue of McClure's Magazine:

And the Triumph was on the cover of the May 1922 issue of The American Cutler:

I really like this version, they have the round top plate like the early Damaskeene, a round handle and the frame is slightly smaller. I do believe I'll break this one out for tomorrow morning.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Tom, I think your pictures are of the exact razor I received.

Did you notice that the prices in the 1923 hardware store catalog are for a dozen razors? Were they selling them to consumers, or perhaps to local drug stores for retail sale?

I haven't tried the razor yet; I'm hoping somebody can recommend some blades. To complicate matters, my Tradere is supposed to be delivered tomorrow!

Did you notice that the prices in the 1923 hardware store catalog are for a dozen razors? Were they selling them to consumers, or perhaps to local drug stores for retail sale?

Shapleigh was a company that supplied hardware stores with their stock items, they had the reputation of selling quality stuff.

Interesting that they charged their customers $1.40 for razors that retailed for $1, they HAD to have provided some kind of kick-back or rebate.

I haven't tried the razor yet; I'm hoping somebody can recommend some blades. To complicate matters, my Tradere is supposed to be delivered tomorrow!

Walgreens has Gem blades or CVS. I get them there sometimes, not bad.

I wouldnt mind being in your predicament, Richard/natchez has a great razor The Tradere, let us know how it shaves .

Yeah, that isn't a bad problem to have! I'll stop by the local pharmacy and pick up some Gem blades.

Uh-oh, I may be turning into a LOSER! My first single-edge shave went great. The large head, un-curved blade, and shallow angle puts a lot of metal in contact with the skin, trailing the blade. So good lather is really important. And I have to rearrange my shaving order slightly, so that I'm always working towards lathered areas.

The forced shallow angle left me with a superb shave, with just a couple of spots that need some thought about how best to take care of them. And I think I can learn from the razor and carry it over to my double-edged shaves.

Top Bottom