What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Function fired a Romanian Tokarev today, new recoil spring tamed the tossed empties a bit. Just had a big baggie full of Rom 7.62x25 ammo. No idea how many rounds. Murica! 👍👍

The range had 9mm Blazer, first I've seen in a while. $29!😢 "Yeah, no thanks," I said.

Ladies Day again, but I haven't seen Yoga Pants Girl. As I was leaving, though, a lady in her 70s was checking in. Gramma knew it was Ladies Day, and bought two of those pricy boxes. The older clerk sent the younger one in there to make sure she had it under control - which I think was wise. Gram might been another Jerry Miculek, but I got outta there.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
8952EA03-05C9-4E69-8714-4833F611476D.jpeg
C84AD923-551E-49A8-A6D5-D476F0788F69.jpeg

Shot my 6.5 Grendel upper build for the first time today. Best 5 shot 100 yd. group after only 20 rounds through the gun. So the above group consists of rounds 21-25. Hopefully it will tighten up after some more break in. (Same group in both pics.)

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
No range time during the week but Odin gifted me some willing sacrifices. I thought I had scared off the chewers of wires and defilers of bird feeders but I was wrong. The cats are getting to the point where they come running when the .22 goes off! 🤣 Look at this knuckle head. He’s in kitty heaven!
5F108B00-9A29-429A-9CB8-E7DBFC83071E.jpeg

My son and family were over for Easter weekend so got the grandson out shooting some air pistols, and a neighbors grandson joined us, so some impromptu tin can matches in the back yard. Sunday afternoon my son, his wife and I took my grandson to the range for some 22 shooting. Last Thanksgiving he liked a Ruger 77 22 best. but this time I let him try my Winchester 52b reproduction, with a single shot sled in place of the magazine and he loved it. We had gotten him a single pump pneumatic BB gun for Christmas and he has been shooting it some, so showed quite an improvement over Thanksgiving

nikonNUT

OK, I gotta ask. Is the cat alive or dead?
He is very much alive! Just over the moon happy with his play thing!
@nikonNUT, have you “barked” any squirrels yet, that you’ve either missed, or with intention? Not suggesting you may have missed, by any means.
I “think” I barked the one in that photo. Spotted it snoozing on a limb and all I could see was a bit of noggin and ears. Lined everything up, took the shot, and heard the bullet hit the branch and the squirrel jumped up! But it was not moving with a purpose like you expect a critter being shot at too… So I think I either brained it with a little bit of wood or the bullet hit the limb and down so much it was more of a blunt impact than a through and through it’s scurried down the branch, I whistled, and it stopped. That’s when I took the finishing shot. And trust me my friend! I have missed plenty! 🤣 But I have learned that hunting squirrels will teach you to aim small, miss small.

Last edited:
He is very much alive! Just over the moon happy with his play thing!

I “think” I barked the one in that photo. Spotted it snoozing on a limb and all I could see was a bit of noggin and ears. Lined everything up, took the shot, and heard the bullet hit the branch and the squirrel jumped up! But it was not moving with a purpose like you expect a critter being shot at too… So I think I either brained it with a little bit of wood or the bullet hit the limb and down so much it was more of a blunt impact than a through and through it’s scurried down the branch, I whistled, and it stopped. That’s when I took the finishing shot. And trust me my friend! I have missed plenty! 🤣 But I have learned that hunting squirrels will teach you to aim small, miss small.

thanks much - I’ve enjoyed your posts.... good reading.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A good day at our weekly RSO match, shooting my AR 15 .223 build with a Shepherd LPVO scope, I came in second place. The match is close range CQB shooting. After the match I shot some standing off hand at 100 yds. SR1 target. I used the above .223, a CZ bolt gun in 6.5 x 55 and my AR in 6.5 Grendel. My offhand 100 yd. shooting still leaves a lot to be desired. I did best with the .223 with the 6.5 Swede a close second. The 6.5 Grendel was too heavy to shoot offhand well, despite it's sub MOA performance from the bench.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Took the CZ to the range for my normal plinking session and decided to try a group at 100 with some RWS subsonic HP. Needs work (and I gotta get the elevation tweeked. I was at 2.7 MILs and I think 3 will get me in the “X” as it were) but not horrible. Sub MOA at least :lol:
881B14CD-5C45-45A5-8491-F426E29811B0.jpeg

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Took the 457 plinking this morning and couldn't get things to act right. Trigger kept surprising me when it broke, I was getting meh groups, and I couldn't figure it out. Came home and put a pull weight gauge on it and it broke at 20oz which is weird as I had it set at 2.125lbs. Then I remembered I changed out the trigger pivot pin and I think that causes the change. Fiddled with it until it started breaking at 1.5lbs (same at my other target rifles) and will test tomorrow. Man do I need a 2-stage for the CZ! I'm not a fan of uber light single stages. The TT Diamond in my MSR-10 is perfect! 4oz first stage, solid wall, and THEN a 1.25lb break.

Top Bottom