What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Went and tested a box of SK Flatnose Target this moring. Accuracy is on part with the other SK stuff but the flat face bullets seem to hit MUCH harder based on the report from the back stop. I think it will be great for dispatching tree rats. Speaking of tree rats... The season opened yesterday so I celebrated! The squirrels did NOT enjoy the festivities. :lol:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Went and tested a box of SK Flatnose Target this moring. Accuracy is on part with the other SK stuff but the flat face bullets seem to hit MUCH harder based on the report from the back stop. I think it will be great for dispatching tree rats. Speaking of tree rats... The season opened yesterday so I celebrated! The squirrels did NOT enjoy the festivities. :lol:

It's what makes the Keith-style SWC so great...

🤔 Flat is good.

AA

nikonNUT

CCI used to make a "SGB" flat nose .22LR round, haven't seen any in a long while, possibly discontinued?
I read about those. I maybe mistaken but I believe the are “green” aka no lead and go almost exclusively to California. 🤷‍♂️

As for the flat points...They work great! Just went up on the hill and saw this boy scurry up a tree.I have learned that the 🐿 wont wait for me to line up a perfect shot so... crosshairs on body and pfft! Then nothing??? Took a step forward and he fell to earth dead as a hammer. There is some serious kinetic shock from the FPs! I love real world testing.
44D6330B-5DF7-460A-A4E5-0135CDC46DD2.jpeg

Last edited:

nikonNUT

I tested some SK Flatnose Match in my 40x bench gun about 6 months ago. I was surprised it shot as well as it did. Each of these groups is 5 shots. The distance is 50 yards.

View attachment 1267601
That’s amazing! I wanted to try the match version (which I ordered) but the place sent me “Basic” instead. I contacted them and explained the error and correcting their shipping manager who said Basic and Match are the same thing, and they said they would fix it, and proceeded to send me Target which is Basic with a different name. At this point I’ve said “Screw it...” It shoots well enough but if I order Rifle Match and get Standard Plus “because it’s the same thing” I will lose my mind... But yes, I have read VERY good things about Flatnose Match. Supposedly developed with the 50M crowd in mind. And I suppose on how you play it a 10 with a round nose could be a scratch “X” with a flat nose?

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I read about those. I maybe mistaken but I believe the are “green” aka no lead and go almost exclusively to California. 🤷‍♂️

The Small Game Bullet (SGB) to which I refer was defiantly not green, but lead. Sort of a truncated cone profile.

nikonNUT

Got back from Lone Star last night and had a great time shooting with the local PD. Good guys to the last and while laid back do not take any guff! They were doing a community event (bounce house, burgers and hot dogs, jazz like that) and a a fella drive by on a gator flying a flag that was, well, an epithet against the current admiration. The Chief, who I stopped by to thank for the use of their range, shakes his head and one of the officers, Ant, say "Oh heck no! I respect his freedom of speech but there are kids here!" Flagged him down, explained the situation, and the fella dropped the flag. Good guys that tow the line and I would not want to be on the wrong side of. Had a quick gun show with the officers in attendance and was told to come back any time! I later found out the Chief texted his brother that I was a good dude and I was welcome back any time. As soon as it gets cooler I'm going back to take the guys who missed out out to a play day! Loving Lone Star more every time I visit. Ants parting words were "I'm gonna talk to the Chief about getting us some suppressors!" :lol: Only downside... After 10 days of rain the mosquitos were so thick I'm still woozy from blood loss!!!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Got back from Lone Star last night and had a great time shooting with the local PD. Good guys to the last and while laid back do not take any guff! They were doing a community event (bounce house, burgers and hot dogs, jazz like that) and a a fella drive by on a gator flying a flag that was, well, an epithet against the current admiration. The Chief, who I stopped by to thank for the use of their range, shakes his head and one of the officers, Ant, say "Oh heck no! I respect his freedom of speech but there are kids here!" Flagged him down, explained the situation, and the fella dropped the flag. Good guys that tow the line and I would not want to be on the wrong side of. Had a quick gun show with the officers in attendance and was told to come back any time! I later found out the Chief texted his brother that I was a good dude and I was welcome back any time. As soon as it gets cooler I'm going back to take the guys who missed out out to a play day! Loving Lone Star more every time I visit. Ants parting words were "I'm gonna talk to the Chief about getting us some suppressors!" :lol: Only downside... After 10 days of rain the mosquitos were so thick I'm still woozy from blood loss!!!!
Sounds like a good time was had by all my friend!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Never understood folks who fly political flags or put bumper stickers on their cars. Why invite trouble?

nikonNUT

Never understood folks who fly political flags or put bumper stickers on their cars. Why invite trouble?
I hear you man. I will share my opinions if asked but don't like to advertise. I think Lone Star is probably a safe haven but the lesson was a good one. Respect is earned and first impressions last a lifetime. When were at the range the chief was in t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops and "Steven" was fine. When I was at the park he was in "casual" uniform and I addressed him as Chief Blythe. His deputies were there and while he introduced them all by their firsts names I wanted to address him by his title around the crowd and not come across as too cozy. Add that I was a foreigner :lol: and it just seemed right. It is HIS town and I was a guest. The guy with the flag? He maybe good as gold but he's on the radar for all the wrong reasons. Don't want or need that! All about being a "gray man".

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I hear you man. I will share my opinions if asked but don't like to advertise. I think Lone Star is probably a safe haven but the lesson was a good one. Respect is earned and first impressions last a lifetime. When were at the range the chief was in t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops and "Steven" was fine. When I was at the park he was in "casual" uniform and I addressed him as Chief Blythe. His deputies were there and while he introduced them all by their firsts names I wanted to address him by his title around the crowd and not come across as too cozy. Add that I was a foreigner :lol: and it just seemed right. It is HIS town and I was a guest. The guy with the flag? He maybe good as gold but he's on the radar for all the wrong reasons. Don't want or need that! All about being a "gray man".
I’m to the left of most here, but remember a time when people with differing opinions could discuss such things civilly. Those days are long gone.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Finally, the flood waters have receded and we got to shoot our weekly RSO match for the first time in several weeks. Today was semiauto pistols at paper and steel. I shot my SIG P365 from concealment just for the heck of it, every one else was shooting full sized guns, none from concealment, some were "race guns". I managed to pull a forth place despite shooting the mini 9 from concealment, so a good day at the range!

Top Bottom