What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Took a dot torture target to the range today. I didn't even TRY for the par (40 seconds) as I just wanted to run it clean. Not quite yet but it's coming together. I've applied Ronin's techniques regarding grip, body position, no tension anywhere (just let the recoil flow through the body and dissipate),etc. It's pretty amazing how the flow comes. I started feeling a cadence and it was almost zen like. Then I think "Wow! I get it!" and it all goes to crap (see shot #14. Ugh!). :lol1: I think I've found something I can work with and there is hope!
Dot Torture.jpg

Took a dot torture target to the range today. I didn't even TRY for the par (40 seconds) as I just wanted to run it clean. Not quite yet but it's coming together. I've applied Ronin's techniques regarding grip, body position, no tension anywhere (just let the recoil flow through the body and dissipate),etc. It's pretty amazing how the flow comes. I started feeling a cadence and it was almost zen like. Then I think "Wow! I get it!" and it all goes to crap (see shot #14. Ugh!). :lol1: I think I've found something I can work with and there is hope!
View attachment 1081935

I'm jealous. Nice shooting.
I want to be shooting.
Stupid virus.

nikonNUT

I'm jealous. Nice shooting.
I want to be shooting.
Stupid virus.
Thank you and I feel you, man! I did ask if the range was still open just in case (I don't want to get banned) and got looked at like I had three heads! :lol1: "Yeah man. Go enjoy!" Honestly it's just an old veteran/preachers field with berms and shooting benches. Pretty sure the membership fee just covers the property taxes plus a little scratch for deer camp every year.

nikonNUT

Back to the range! Took 500 rounds and almost drowned! Stupid rain... Anyways, I'm getting closer! Been focusing on my grip, feeling the trigger reset (This appears to be crucial!), not milking the gun (not getting high on the grip, just squeezing the ever loving snot out of it!), and sigh picture.Not sure what is going on but I'm having to having to hold about half a dot high on the front sight to get things where I want them to hit. I'm thinking my support hand thumb is pressing down to hard and I need to relax! And slow down! Regardless I finally clear one of these jokers (sorta... #12 and #22 broke the line but...) More range time is required!
IMG_1580.jpg

P.S. Useless pro tip but if anyone is running a weapon light and having trouble with all that GSR building up on the lens put a drop of water on it and rub a #2 pencil eraser on it in a circular motion. Got this information straight from Surefire and works like a charm!

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Back to the range! Took 500 rounds and almost drowned! Stupid rain... Anyways, I'm getting closer! Been focusing on my grip, feeling the trigger reset (This appears to be crucial!), not milking the gun (not getting high on the grip, just squeezing the ever loving snot out of it!), and sigh picture.Not sure what is going on but I'm having to having to hold about half a dot high on the front sight to get things where I want them to hit. I'm thinking my support hand thumb is pressing down to hard and I need to relax! And slow down! Regardless I finally clear one of these jokers (sorta... #12 and #22 broke the line but...) More range time is required!
View attachment 1082835
P.S. Useless pro tip but if anyone is running a weapon light and having trouble with all that GSR building up on the lens put a drop of water on it and rub a #2 pencil eraser on it in a circular motion. Got this information straight from Surefire and works like a charm!

Looks like you are getting it. Just keep it up and apply the basics. If you cut the line it's a score...and it looks like you did more than cut the line on all the others besides #12 and #22. That would be a perfect score on that target.

I hate this record rain. But it's better than a drought...maybe.

Did I ever tell you about the time I had to qualify in the pouring down rain during a tornado?

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Looks like you are getting it. Just keep it up and apply the basics. If you cut the line it's a score...and it looks like you did more than cut the line on all the others besides #12 and #22. That would be a perfect score on that target.

I hate this record rain. But it's better than a drought...maybe.

Did I ever tell you about the time I had to qualify in the pouring down rain during a tornado?
Thank you, sir! I'll keep hammering away at it! The toughest part for me is trying to dissect what I did right when I center punch one of the boxes! :lol1: Not sure what your AO is like but even though I gripe about the rain by June I'll be wishing for a few days like we are having now just to cool things down and keep the fire risks low! At least the levies are holding this year. Last year the Ouichita River got so high they were abandoning some of the lock and dam stations. Gent that comes into work runs one for the corp and said that for that to happen they had to be at 90 feet over flood. I still remember that video of the barge that broke loose and got shredded by the dam in Oklahoma! Qualifying during a tornado?!? Do tell! I hope they gave you bonus points! :D

View attachment 1082835

Ya baby, can't complain about that.
Are you still working on a time frame for shooting?

nikonNUT

Ya baby, can't complain about that.
Are you still working on a time frame for shooting?
Not right now. When things settle down I'm hoping there will be a slight lull between all clear to travel and prior engagements shutting down schedules. Wait, are we talking training or par time for that target? :facep:

nikonNUT

Sorry, time on target.
Still hope you get to go train though:)
Ah! Not adding time pressure for the moment. Just focusing on mechanics but once I can run the target clear pretty regularly I will shoot (HA!) for the par time. It's listed on the download as 40 seconds with one second added for each miss.

Ah! Not adding time pressure for the moment. Just focusing on mechanics but once I can run the target clear pretty regularly I will shoot (HA!) for the par time. It's listed on the download as 40 seconds with one second added for each miss.
Are the targets only accessible on their website?

nikonNUT

Work put me on a 4-10 shift (Did you know there's a 3:30 A.M.? Who knew! :lol: ) so I snuck to the range today to try and sort out my CHS. Took both Nighthawks and the STI and things went... Badly. Then something happened. I usually shoot with my readers on (ANSI impact rated) but I took them off to shoot the Agent because of the RMR. Dumb I know but I when and grabbed the Bob Marvel and this happened...
410Target1.jpg

Figured I'd try it with the other dot torture target and cleared it...
410Target2.jpg

Can anybody explain this? Parallax from the lenses? Blurry front sight helping me keep focus on the target? Odd but I'm stoked that I might have taken a step toward fixing my issues. Have some Oakley Flak 2.0s inbound 'cuz eyes are hard to replace!

Work put me on a 4-10 shift (Did you know there's a 3:30 A.M.? Who knew! :lol: ) so I snuck to the range today to try and sort out my CHS. Took both Nighthawks and the STI and things went... Badly. Then something happened. I usually shoot with my readers on (ANSI impact rated) but I took them off to shoot the Agent because of the RMR. Dumb I know but I when and grabbed the Bob Marvel and this happened...
View attachment 1085274

Figured I'd try it with the other dot torture target and cleared it...
View attachment 1085275

Can anybody explain this? Parallax from the lenses? Blurry front sight helping me keep focus on the target? Odd but I'm stoked that I might have taken a step toward fixing my issues. Have some Oakley Flak 2.0s inbound 'cuz eyes are hard to replace!
That’s fairly common when going back to irons after shooting a MRDS equipped pistol. It forces you to focus harder on the front sight.

Top Bottom