What's new

A cream that surprised you?

Arko. Surprising, I know. But it was slick and I like the smell. I prefer it over some much more expensive brands. Easy to lather too!

Arko Extra Sensitive with Lavender oil & Aloe Vera is fragrance free, tried it last Wednesday, using an Almond size squeeze (way too much) gave me enough lather for ~3 two pass shaves with touch up, nice creamy thick lather, I've used it for the last five days running, it's that good.

Normally I'm a Tabac SS guy, not using other creams or soaps on a regular basis (maybe two or three times a month, mostly La Toja Sensitive SC, another good cream)

Godrej Lime. How can they make a cream that lathers so well, smells so nice and is so cheap.

The other range of creams that surprised me were C R Salter creams. Fantastic quality, big tubs and a great price.

Calypso Shaving Cream aka The Bomb. I was shocked at how little of this stuff is needed for a bowlful of thick, slippery lather. The bay rum scent is also awesome.

Arko Extra Sensitive with Lavender oil & Aloe Vera is fragrance free, tried it last Wednesday, using an Almond size squeeze (way too much) gave me enough lather for ~3 two pass shaves with touch up, nice creamy thick lather, I've used it for the last five days running, it's that good.

Normally I'm a Tabac SS guy, not using other creams or soaps on a regular basis (maybe two or three times a month, mostly La Toja Sensitive SC, another good cream)

+1 Arko Extra Sensitive is a great performer with no artificial scent. You should squeeze that tube into a bowl and let it a little dry. It will become a soft soap.

Real Shaving Company - for a couple of bucks the cream was top notch.

Lab Series Maximum Comfort Shave Cream surprised me because it has some lidocaine-type of compound in it that freezes your face like a shot of novacaine - it only lasts a few minutes but it really freaked me out the first time I tried it.

Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad. Didn't like the scent in the tube, but once lathered, the scent mellowed and it was very nice. Very solid performer as well.

Erasmic cream in the really cool tube. Cheap, love the subtle smell, great face latherer==did I say really cool tube packaging?

J.M. Fraser. Whoa!
Slick, cushiony lather, nice light inoffesive scent and cheap. Really, really, cheap as in inexpensive.
Great stuff.

Jeff

Last edited:
+1 Arko Extra Sensitive is a great performer with no artificial scent. You should squeeze that tube into a bowl and let it a little dry. It will become a soft soap.

Is that really effective? Can you just squeeze creams out and let them dry? I feel like soaps and creams are formulated differently...although I find soaps much easier to use as there is no measuring guesswork

Is that really effective? Can you just squeeze creams out and let them dry? I feel like soaps and creams are formulated differently...although I find soaps much easier to use as there is no measuring guesswork

I have lids for my bowls actually but somehow top layer of the cream is drying and become harder and I can make créme Chantilly(aka whipped cream) like lather with no extra effort. I now understand why Italians are making soft(cream) soaps.:thumbup1:

+5 for Arko

I ordered five from Phil at BullGoose when he had them for $1 each. You can't beat that price. THAT is dirt cheap.

And the performance is amazing. A little goes a long way. I have a few to choose from: Maximum Comfort, Moist, and Cool. So far I have only used the Maximum Comfort, and it is on par with C.O. Bigelow as far as lather-production, slickness, and protection; perhaps a bit better. On the other hand, the MC does not have the best smell. This can be overlooked for the performance of this $1 tube that should last me months of fantastic, daily shaves.

Two creams that surprised me were ones that I had previously written off as being mediocre. One of them is one which nearly everyone loves, Speick, and the other is one that is usually compared unfavorably to it's soap counter-part, Tabac. My surprise came when we had each of them for our "flavor of the month", and I used them every day during those months. I believe using them regularly this way allowed me to learn how to create lather with them, and come to appreciate the great shaves they provided. Now I love them both, and will always have them in my rotation.

i get surprised at just how superior any of these creams are to what comes out of a can. their performance is one thing, but the scents...oh the scents. they are heavenly. i am surprised that shaving cream can smell this way. but then again, i still have that golden shine of a newbie.

I ordered tabac cream because it was 65% off w/ free ship. Didn’t bother to look into it, but it seems tabac cream has a bad rep versus the soap. Tried it this morning, loved it. Easy lather, great scent.

I was amazed by Dettol Cream the lather literally explodes and gives a really nice shave Also I got Omega cream it comes in a cup is firm like a soap but lathers well and gives a really good shave

I'll be honest with you, I can pretty much make all of them work the same by adding either water or product if something isn't right. My choice is based on the scent I am in the mood for that particular trip to the lavatory.

Top Bottom