What's new

A Belated 1000th Post Vintage Razor PIF

I'm in! :thumbup1:

Lotta folks love those early techs, I would like to try one and see for myself.

Last edited:
Bump. This is the last day to enter folks. I will accept entries through midnight (MDT) tonight and then chose the winners tomorrow morning using Random.org.

The winners are:

1st - [MENTION=108085]o8di[/MENTION]
2nd - [MENTION=102906]Heckle[/MENTION]
3rd - [MENTION=107672]brianjc[/MENTION]

I have sent a PM to o8di to make his selection. I will contact Heckle next after I hear back.

Congratulations to the winners. Enjoy your vintage shaves. :thumbup1:

I have not heard from o8di yet so I'm moving on to the second place winner. PM sent to Heckle.

Wow! Thanks so much! Apologies for the delay, I've been away on a training exercise. I appreciate it and will respond to the pm ASAP.

@Heckle has chosen the Fat Handle Tech with the triangle holes.
@o8di has chosen the ball-end post-war Tech
@brianjc will get the Schick G1 injector.

Congratulations again to all the winners! Enjoy your vintage shaves!

Doug

Doug,
Thanks for the generosity! I can't wait to test drive them! I'll post a pic as soon as I get your package. Here's a picture of my Marines and I on the last day of our recent training exercise in the Coastal Carolinas. I'm on the far left of the picture. 10 days of weird weather and mud but finally the sun came out! $image.jpg

Doug,
Thanks for the generosity! I can't wait to test drive them! I'll post a pic as soon as I get your package. Here's a picture of my Marines and I on the last day of our recent training exercise in the Coastal Carolinas. I'm on the far left of the picture. 10 days of weird weather and mud but finally the sun came out!View attachment 650633

Thanks for posting the pic! All three packages were dropped off at the Post Office this morning. PMs will be sent with tracking numbers.

Package recieved today! Thanks again for the kindness, can't wait to give them a try. As a matter of fact, think I'll do just that right now!

Package recieved today! Thanks again for the kindness, can't wait to give them a try. As a matter of fact, think I'll do just that right now!

Enjoy! Please give us a short review of your first shave with a vintage Gillette.

$image.jpg
Heres a pic of the package I got from Doug. Please note that I recieved two vintage Gillettes from him. The second was sent since I missed my first choice of the fat handle due to being gone for a training exercise. A completely unnecessary yet extremely generous act by Doug. Thanks again and I'll post a review of both after use. Oh, he also included six razor blades, five of which I have never used before, so another treat!

Ok, here goes. I broke up the shave into two parts. Face followed by head. I used the fat handle on the face. Hot water splash a few times to soak the whiskers followed by some C.O. Bigelow cream lathered in a bowl. Standard 3 pass shave with some touch up. Used the Voskhod razor blade. Wow, what a shave! Very impressed with the fat boy. I will say that it's the same length as my EJ Kelvin but seemed a little lighter and thinner in the handle than the Kelvin.

I used the Ball end tech on my head with a Gillete Nacent blade. Same lather but for the head I added four drops of glycerine to provide some more slickness. It might have been the blade but the ball end had a rough time plowing through three days of growth. Looking at the gap between the two top pieces of the ball end, the gap seemed much smaller than on the fat handle or the Kelvin. I finished up my head with the fat handle, with great results.

Followed everyone up with some Thayers WH and Pinaud Clubman. SWMBO is going to love it when I come to bed tonight! Of course, I have an early morning workout planned with the boys, so I'll probably go straight to bed!

I can say that I really enjoyed the way the ball end handle sits in my fingers. Not sure why but it just seems to be the ergonomics of the handle, maybe the ball at the end does something with balance or fit. I don't think I'll use this as my head shaver on any more than a single days growth just because of the small gap. Tomorrow morning I'll use the ball end on my face. It was also the first time that I've used the Nacent blade that I got in a previous sampler pack, so I may go with my tried and true Astra SP's.

All in all, I'm a fan of the vintage Gillette's and I can thank Doug for introducing me to them!

Mike- Thanks for a great review of your first vintage Gillette shaves. My first razor was a ball-end just like the one you tried. I am not a big fan of Feather blades overall, but in my ball-end, a Feather is the perfect pairing for my face. I am not a head shaver so I can't talk about that though. If you like the triangle hole head from the fat handle, you can also try the ball-end handle with the fat handle head. It might be a good combo - the threads are the same.

Enjoy your shaves!

Top Bottom