What's new

A Belated 1000th Post Vintage Razor PIF

Hi folks! I had planned to do a PIF when I hit my 1000th post but life sort of got in the way. At any rate, I finally am ready to do this. Since I returned to wet shaving eight months ago after more than 30 years in the wilderness, B&B has become a huge source of information, amusement, lost time, and expense to me. This is an incredible community that has afforded me the opportunity to contract various ADs that I never knew existed. :001_rolle In fact, I have found that I am a bit of a trollop when it comes to razors, especially vintage ones. What started with a single ball-end tech, a cheap Omega brush and soap combo, and a sampler pack of DE blades has become a collection of somewhere around 20 vintage razors - Gillettes, Gems, Ever-Readys, and Schicks. I have also now gotten two vintage straights which is opening a whole new can of worms. In addition, I have been the beneficiary of several PIFs myself for which I am very grateful.

Anyway, I love vintage razors so this is targeted at (mostly) newer members who have not tried a vintage razor. There are three razors available.

1. A gold post-war ball end Tech
2. A pre-war fat handle Tech (with the triangle shaped holes in the baseplate.
3. An early Schick Type G1 Injector.

I will also toss in some appropriate blades with each. The razors are all user grade with various bits of plating loss, etc., but I have shaved with all three and they work great.

$IMG_0470.jpg$IMG_0472.jpg

The rules:

CONUS only (sorry)

Please agree to PIF the razor to someone else if you don't end up liking it.

Please be a user of new gear who is interested in exploring the world of vintage razors.

Please be a member with at least 20 posts.

There will be three winners. The first winner will get their choice of the three. Second place gets their choice of the two remaining razors. Third gets what remains.

Clearly state "I'm in"

Share a short story about your wet shaving experience and why you would like to try vintage.

The winners will be chosen randomly and the PIF will end on April 1st.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Very cool it was a pif just like this that gave me my first vintage and oh man it opens that door wide open.

Super cool PIF! I'm hunting for a pre-war tech, those get a lot of love around here. That being said, Not In (I have 9 razors, 8 of them pre- 1975)

Doug congratulations on 1000 posts! Nice to give back, not in because I have one or two vintage razors around here somewhere.:tongue_sm

I'm in. I have tried newer razors with varying results but never tried a vintage. Would like to see what all the fuss is about! Thanks

I'm in!

Nice PIF, Doug57, and congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts.

I've had a very positive experience with wet shaving with a modern DE razor. Based on several comments, my razor is on the mild side but it does give me a good shave. That said, I am developing vintage razor envy syndrome - hearing and seeing the posts about finding these really awesome vintage razors in the wild (antique shoppes, flee markets, auctions, wherever), and I'd like in on this. I currently on have the one razor and am learning the ropes of wet shaving...but I've got the vintage itch...

I'm in. Just started DE shaving in December. I have already tried tons of soaps. Now I'm interested in trying new razors.

I'm in. Have tried a couple of vintage razors but still pretty new to it. The ones I've tried so far are all good. My favorite so far is the SE GEM I inherited from my dad.

I'm in. If I would have kept wet shaving when I first tried it, I would probably have a bunch of vintage razors.

I'm in. I would really like to try a vintage, so far I have only shaved with 1 de razor ever. I started wet shaving only about a year or two ago. I like my merkur razor but it would be neat to try a razor my father or grandfather would have used.

I'm in! Congrats on a 1000 posts!

I've been using modern de razors since I started wet shaving a few months ago. Love the feel of it but have heard that what I'm using is a pretty mild razor. Ive been interested in the fat handled techs since reading a thread on them here and would love to give one a go!

Top Bottom