What's new

A Begginer's PIF

A beginner’s PIF

Hello!

I am a new convert to double edge wet shaving. In an attempt to find what I like, I ordered a bunch of different things at different times as I was still learning what was what. Having rosacea, I did not want any products that would flare the rosacea. So now I have a few soaps and things that I don’t see myself using. I would like to pass them along to someone who would like to try them out. None of these things did cause me any flare ups or concerns, it is simply my preferences that determined what I really liked and use the most.

I think I found some products I really enjoy, and rather than hoard the samples I haven’t used, I’d like to pass them on! I have learned so much here that I want to share what I can with folks here.

I would like to open this up to anyone who wants to try some of these products. Unfortunately, I am going to make it CONUS only, in order to use the USPS flat rate shipping. But to make it fun, in addition to replying “I’m in,” I’d like you to post your best shaving tip! I’ll close this out Monday, December 14 at midnight Eastern time, and get it mailed on Wednesday, December 16.

Unused samples of:

1. Dapper Dragon Coconut Lime Verbena
  2. Dapper Dragon White Chocolate Orange
  3. Barrister & Mann Latha Limon
  4. Soap Smooth Bordeaux

Strop Shoppe Unscented shave soap, very lightly used tub

Taylor of Old Bond Street Natural shave cream, lightly used tub

Blade Bank

Some blade samples
:
Feather: 10 pack, unopened.
Sharp Durablades: 10 pack, unopened
Derby Extra: 5 pack, 4 remaining blades
Dorco ST-300: 10 pack, unopened
7am Plus Durablade: 5 pack, unopened
Astra SS: 5 pack, 4 remaining blades
Astra SP: 5 pack, unopened

Attachments

• $20151207_140638.jpg
    $20151207_140638.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 240
I would be thrilled to be included So I'm in! My tip that rings loudest for me is that sometimes it's best to go with less passes even though you think you still have micro stubble that feels like a forest. I found if i keep going to get super smooth I achieved super irritated instead. If I actually stop then its almost as if the hair recedes just a tad after my shave and I have the super smooth shave after all! Thank you for the fine opportunity!

I'm in

Many blades there I've yet to try.

Tip? Prep your beard with moisture & heat, noxzema with hot towel is best for me.

I'm in.
Thanks for the opportunity. The two most valuable tips i have... enjoy what you are doing. Don't just shave, make it a hobby...the shave is a nice side-effect and don't get stuck trying to chase the BBS... nobody can tell but you. All of a sudden, It'll happen!!

Nice PIF but I am NOT in. I am new as well but a tip would be... no pressure really can mean no pressure. Recently discovered that I can go ATG on my neck by making quick short strokes with what feels like I am not even touching the razor to my face (obviously I am). Was an exciting thing to discover. Oh an angle truelove is every thing! All the tips that are thrown out there over and over really seem to work, if you focus on them on your next shave!

I'm in.

I'm a big believer in the idea of quickly setting in on a setup which works for you (one razor, one blade, one soap, etc.) and then spend 30 days with only that setup, focusing instead on developing your technique until you can do that shave in the dark.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm NOT IN, but that's a great PIF!

My greatest tip is just to pay attention to what you are doing, whether it's concentrating on angle, pressure, direction or what have you. Don't rush things as you are learning. In time, your shaves (and your nerves) will become more comfortable with what you are doing.

I'm in. Thanks for the opportunity. My best tip, though not really specific, is to learn from your experience. I've only been doing this for 11 months, but have learned to lather different soaps differently, use different brushes for different soaps, realize when to give my face a break (by switching to fewer or less aggressive atg passes), how much pressure to use, and how to handle the various directions of hair growth on your face and neck. Learning from my experience, I nick/cut myself much, much less than when I started, and am getting closer, more comfortable shaves.

Great PIF, but i'm out for 2 reasons, I have the sandalwood cream, I use a straight razor and I'm in Europe. Oh.. that's 3 reasons.:001_rolle
But it will be fun to read and see how you guys like the products you get to try out.

My best tip, umm... use the spine of the blade when practicing with your off hand. Or an old open razor with tape on the edge of the blade. that's how I'm practicing with my off hand. Safe, but get the feel.

In for the blades, if I may, please -- being more than amply stocked with soaps, I would pass those on in turn, even though I've heard good things about all these soaps and enjoyed my experience with TOBS.

In my earlier days with DE, I went OCD trying to chase perfection. I learned to ease up.
That said, learning the technique of blade buffing made a difference with getting those last pesky trouble spots.

Great PIF. I'm in! My best tip would be to pay attention to the angle of your razor while shaving. I irritated my neck a number of times because of improper angle and pressure.

Nice PIF but I am NOT in. I am new as well but a tip would be... no pressure really can mean no pressure. Recently discovered that I can go ATG on my neck by making quick short strokes with what feels like I am not even touching the razor to my face (obviously I am). Was an exciting thing to discover. Oh an angle truelove is every thing! All the tips that are thrown out there over and over really seem to work, if you focus on them on your next shave!
Hey, I'm originally from Michigan's Upper Peninsula, the UP, hence Yooper, and have always been a Packers fan!

Top Bottom