What's new

6/8 Wacker CHEVALIER & Ralf Aust

I was looking at wacker's main site and they have the 6/8 Wacker "CHEVALIER" for 425.00 and the details say "EXCLUSIVE LIMITED 2nd EDITION ~ BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND". If I go to another US site I see the same model for 279 with the added word "oblique". Why the price difference and are they the same blade (I know not the exact razor)?

Also looking at Ralf Aust but anyone have a site when there's some French points to look at? I can only find them at straight razor designs and wanted to see other scale/blade detail options available.

I am only looking at these as I know Brian Brown has a freeze on new orders otherwise he would be my first pick. From members I hear the Wacker Chevalier is regarded by many as one of the top razors of its kind and that Ralf is the best production razor out there.

So my thought is I can't go wrong getting one of these as my daily razor. (I do plan to own one of each of these lol so its done to timing)

Update: In talking with some people, the actual Wacker website has the Chevalier for 240 euros. There is a site that comes up as Wacker Razor - Handmade Quality German Straight Razors and looks similar to the Schärfe aus Leidenschaft site. I thought wackerrazor.com was just a US sister site where there were slight formatting differences.
I was informed I was wrong Wacker Razor - Handmade Quality German Straight Razors if you look closely is run by The Imperial Shave and is way over priced. Just wanted to let other know incase they make the same mistake I did, just happy I reached out and was set straight... use Schärfe aus Leidenschaft or a site like Griffith Shaving Goods - The Finest in Luxury Wet Shaving Gear.

Still need some direction on Ralf Aust French points.

The site you were most likely was a reseller, if you want Wackers info so you can buy directly from them PM me and I can send it to you, and yes $425 is really high.

IMG_3124.JPG
IMG_3126.JPG
You can order direct from Herr Aust
His English is not the greatest, but he is easy enough to communicate with. I was able to order a most uncommon razor he makes directly from the factory without a whole bunch of hassle. Keep in mind, a picture is often worth a thousand words when language can be a barrier.
Attached is a picture of my RA 7/8 French point. Hope you find it helpful. It is a great razor.

PS. Just for your enjoyment, on top picture here is the "uncommon" RA 6/8 I ordered direct. Came through perfectly. Exactly what I wanted.

View attachment 773766 View attachment 773765 You can order direct from Herr Aust
His English is not the greatest, but he is easy enough to communicate with. I was able to order a most uncommon razor he makes directly from the factory without a whole bunch of hassle. Keep in mind, a picture is often worth a thousand words when language can be a barrier.
Attached is a picture of my RA 7/8 French point. Hope you find it helpful. It is a great razor.

PS. Just for your enjoyment, on top picture here is the "uncommon" RA 6/8 I ordered direct. Came through perfectly. Exactly what I wanted.

Ralf Aust is a pleasure to deal with and I have ordered a few customized razors that he made for me. He still uses his standard blanks, but if you prefer French point (that he does not mention on his website), a Bismarck style blade (available in 6/8 and carbon steel only), or ask him what other scale materials he has available, the result can be highly personalized, still reasonably priced razor in the usual Aust quality.

Saving 19% German VAT certainly helps.
Note also that - unlike in North America - the VAT is already included in the price quoted, so you can deduct it from the price shown on his website.

B.

While both Ralf Aust and Wacker offer French points, the one offered by Aust is much more subtle than the oblique point offered by Wacker. It is a matter of preference. I have a Ralf Aust 6/8 Spanish point and Wacker 7/8 barbers notch. Both are great razors.

I reached out to both Wacker and aust. Still waiting to hear back from aust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also was hoping to purchase a semi-custom razor from Brian Brown, but he temporarily suspended orders as his backlog has gotten too great. Hopefully, he will reinstate the program in a couple of months. A friend of mine shipped me his 7/8" BRW to test. I liked Brian's belly grind; it was a great shaver. I hated to send the razor back.

In the mean time, I have been looking at either Wacker or Ralf Aust for my next razor. I wanted another 7/8 hollow ground. I already have a Wacker 7/8 barber's notch and a RA 6/8 Spanish point, so for variety, I decided on a French point. The Wacker Chevalier French/oblique point was a little too pronounced for my taste. After viewing the photo posted by Acmemfg earlier in the thread, I decided to go with the Ralf Aust French point. Thanks Acmemfg for helping me reach a decision. I placed my order with SRD last night. It should arrive later this week. If it looks and shaves as well as my RA 6/8, I will be pleased.

I am a bit on the fence between Wacker and Ralf blades... I hear both are top notch production blades so I can't go wrong with either (I use production loosely). I want a French point, I have a vintage square point and that blocks site when trimming around my beard.... plus I aesthetically like the look of a French point.
Wacker- I only find the Chevalier in the point I want and it only comes in 6/8.
RalfAust- has two models in French a 6/8 and a 7/8.
Price wise I have 300 to spend, so Wacker is around 250 and a 6/8 (for comparison) is around 150. A 7/8 is around 200.
Do I spend more for the refined look of the Wacker or do I go with Ralf Aust and get two 6/8 blades, a 6/8 and take the savings a get a new strop or a Norton stone to learn honing... or even get a larger 7/8 blade.
Also what is the American crown Aust offers on the face? I feel its a silly question...

true but I was including the 15.00 euros for shipping and then Paypal takes a fee for currency conversation (can't find what that would be) so probably 220-230

true but I was including the 15.00 euros for shipping and then Paypal takes a fee for currency conversation (can't find what that would be) so probably 220-230

I'm hoping the Paypal invoice comes in as USD and the conversion fee won't be there. I didn't include shipping, since I haven't seen the cost yet for my order. Still think it will be around $200-215.

I got both. They are both top notch. The Aust is beautiful and a fantastic shaver. The Wacker is fantastic looking and a very good shaver. It's your choise, but as stated above you really can't go wrong with either.

I was in the same boat hemming and hawing between Brian Brown and Aust. The Brian Brown moratorium on new razors made that decision for me. I went with Ralf Aust direct on a 6/8 Spanish point in horn.

Paypal takes there currency "fee" in a slightly unfavorable conversion rate ($0.92 per Euro instead of the true $0.95).

If I did two blades they would both be Ralf to stay close to 300 in total.... currently leaning to Wacker as the French point is more pronounced. Grind seems similar as both market as full belly hollows.

Anyone able to do a picture of the RA 6/8 and 7/8 French next to the Wacker Chevalier for comparison?

Top Bottom