What's new

.357 Ammo

Short barrel length may not lose as much velocity as you think. Before my chrono lost it's mind, I ran some Remington 125 grain SJHP magnums through several of my revolvers. The 4" guns showed around 1400fps with that load. My 2.25" SP101 and 2.5" M66 showed around 1250ish.

I would agree that heavier is typically better though, particularly in instances of limited velocities....though bullet shape and construction make a big difference too.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I believe so. 38 SPC clocking in around 1300 fps, but it's only pushing a 100 gr. slug. I don'y know if I'd want it from a short barrel. I would think not enough powder would burn to reach those velocities from a snubbie. Which in turn, wouldn't give that 100 gr. projectile much bite.

Heavier is definitely better than lighter from a smaller barrel imo.

Shot the SP101 today, and got better groups with 158 gr. ammo vs. 130 gr. Never noticed that before.

My eyes aren't what they were when I bought that gun, if you know what I mean. Short sight radius is especially bad on middle aged eyes. With a 4" or 6" revolver, I guess, I've been focusing on the front sight. Anyways.

Brought along short-range "computer glasses," and taking Jack O'Connor's advice, focused on the sights and let target go fuzzy.

Greatly improved snubbie results!

AA

Heavier bullets usually have more bearing surface, so the cylinder throats can align it better with the forcing cone/bore of the barrel. More grip on the rifling doesn't hurt anything either.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Short barrel length may not lose as much velocity as you think. Before my chrono lost it's mind, I ran some Remington 125 grain SJHP magnums through several of my revolvers. The 4" guns showed around 1400fps with that load. My 2.25" SP101 and 2.5" M66 showed around 1250ish.

I would agree that heavier is typically better though, particularly in instances of limited velocities....though bullet shape and construction make a big difference too.

You make an excellent point, because I have clocked Rem 125 SJHP's from my 3 1/16" SP101 at around 1250ish.

Shot the SP101 today, and got better groups with 158 gr. ammo vs. 130 gr. Never noticed that before.

My eyes aren't what they were when I bought that gun, if you know what I mean. Short sight radius is especially bad on middle aged eyes. With a 4" or 6" revolver, I guess, I've been focusing on the front sight. Anyways.

Brought along short-range "computer glasses," and taking Jack O'Connor's advice, focused on the sights and let target go fuzzy.

Greatly improved snubbie results!

AA

I know exactly what you mean. :) Just picked up a Sig P365 and the sight radius is almost too small. I will be taking it out for the first time, all day Labor Day and see what she's made of.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Just picked up a Sig P365 and the sight radius is almost too small. I will be taking it out for the first time, all day Labor Day and see what she's made of.

Sooo...you got you another one of them there electric guns, Huh? When are you going to pick up another real gun, like your SP101? Something like a Smith or Colt wheel gun.

Range report, with pictures, or it didn't happen.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Sooo...you got you another one of them there electric guns, Huh? When are you going to pick up another real gun, like your SP101? Something like a Smith or Colt wheel gun.

Range report, with pictures, or it didn't happen.

I'll write your name in the corner of the targets with a heart drawn around it when I send the pics. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Can't I just push a bullet thru the same hole several times with my fingers and tell you, I shot the little man in the corner? :)

Naw...use your .9mm ink pen. :biggrin1:

Next time...I'm putting your name above the little man in the corner. :lol:

IMG_0006.JPG

Top Bottom