What's new

Plated vs FMJ reloads

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So with the price of ammo nowadays and the new to me 9mm caliber, I will be reloading 9mm now. I have a cache of .223, .40, .45 and .357, and other than the rifle bullets all are plated or coated since at that time FMJ was way more expensive. Never had any problems with plated and coated, but I always though it was a compromise on a FMJ.

Looking for bullets last night I was thrown for a loop: FMJ is cheaper than Berry’s plated, and in great supply at RMR.

I’m kinda flabbergasted that things have changed so much in a few years. Did I miss something where plated is better than FMJ for reloads? Maybe something to do with the cheaper FMJ not fully encasing the lead core?

In any event I’m cheap, so probably gonna order the cheaper FMJ 124g, or maybe even some 147g to save on powder charges. Yes, I’m cheap lol. Anyone prefer to shoot 147 vs 124 or even 115? I never felt any difference in recoil going to a heavier bullet all other things being equal, though it was all with slower unique. I have a bottle of titegroup so I have some comparison loading to do.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve found that RMR consistently has cheaper prices that anywhere else. I know that they make A LOT of bullets, especially in 9mm, which helps them keep the price low. They've also been very reluctant to raise prices as much as some other places have as the cost of their materials have gone up.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I prefer plated. Due to their softness, you can use cast bullet load data. Go FMJ if you want to load the highest safe velocity. I generally default to 124 gr. weight, just like my carry ammo, even though I'm not loading equivalent to factory velocity. YMMV

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
@Kentos
X-treme is also another site to keep your eyes on … they’re presently running a special on jacketed 9mms:

Though not plated/jacketed, Acme & Blue Bullets are another excellent, nicely-priced option:
Acme Hi-Tek 115gr:

Blue Bullets polymer-coated 115gr:

Blue Bullets are extremely popular with competitive shooters. More recent reloading manuals now list recipes for both Acme & Blue bullets.

Last edited:

shoelessjoe

@czgunner … I don’t find them listed now, but X-treme used to offer a plated 125gr FP-HPCB (.355) 357 Sig bullet that was rated up to 1,500 fps. They do have 9mm HPCB offerings, but one, they don’t lend themselves to the 357 Sig (ogive) & secondly, I’m not comfortable going over 1250 fps with coated-plated bullets.

As an aside, while researching safe Blue Bullet (38 Super) limits, some Brian Enos Forum members, all of whom have forgotten more than I could ever hope to learn, made mention of successfully & repeatedly pushing Blue 38 Supers up to 1,500 fps in competitions - with no barrel/polymer galling or accuracy issues.

I've been reloading Precision Delta in 9mm and 45acp for years. Their prices are $5 per 1000 higher than RMR (9mm), who I didn't even know about 'til reading this thread.

Nice to know, and good to have options

shoelessjoe

I've been reloading Precision Delta…
I like Precision Delta’s jacketed bullets every bit as much as I do Zero & MT Golds … BUT, when or should I say, in what lifetime do you suppose PD will have those 125 gr. 357 Sigs back in stock?

I like Precision Delta’s jacketed bullets every bit as much as I do Zero & MT Golds … BUT, when or should I say, in what lifetime do you suppose PD will have those 125 gr. 357 Sigs back in stock?

Maybe try emailing them, often. You know, be a "squeaky wheel". 🙂

Top Bottom