What's new

34c should I keep trying?

There might be some truth behind the notion that if your technique is good enough, then you can achieve the same results with practically any razor, but is it really worth it to keep shaving again and again with a razor that you don't really like just because some random person on the internet told you to do so?

In this hobby, it's all about what you want, like and care about, nothing more and nothing less. You won't get a gold medal or impress anyone even if you somehow master your technique and become a professional shaver with your 34C.

You're also not the first or the last person who owns a razor that isn't really working for him. That's part of the whole process or learning and finding out what you like and what works for you. The rabbit hole is as deep as you want it to be and that's the fun part for some of us.

So far my definitive "keepers" are:
1. Muhle Rocca
2. EJ DE89 knurled

My undecideds:
1. RazoRock Game Changer 84p
2. Feather AS-D2

Not making the cut:
1. Merkur 34c

I've owned 3 of them - the DE89 (sold, pretty average, boring), the Feather AS-D2 (owned twice, sold twice, too mild to cut close using ordinary blades) and the 34C (good but sold as not as good as EJ 3one6 which is made from better materials and gives me an excellent, close, no-burn cut using affordable blades).

34C is a great razor and it was my first razor, I used so many different blades in this razor and most of them are horrible. Blades that worked for me are the Astra SP, Permasharps, Feathers, Wizamet Super Iridium. Other blades like Derby Extra, Dorco are horrible they just don't work for me. If you're still a beginner just stick to what works for you till you get more experience, once you get more experience you can try to use a different blade, soap/cream, razor.
The first blades I tried I the 34c were astra sp, the second were feathers. I haven't found any problem blades yet, they seem to all work okay for me. I do think the feathers can be a bit "harsh" depending on how frequently I've been shaving.

This morning I shaved half of my face with a DE89 and the other half with the Merkur 34c. RK blade in each, regular 3 pass shave. I know that the DE89 is considered the milder of the 2 razors, but for me the DE89 not only gave me a more comfortable shave, but also a closer shave. I still could not clean up the most difficult part of my lower neck without loosening up the Razor a bit to increase blade gap. But all-around, the shave I got with the DE89 was noticeably better than with the 34c. I can see continuing to get more out of the DE89 with practice, but don't see it with the 34c...disappointing.

I think I will do my next few shaves with the DE89 or Rocca and retire the 34c for a while. If when I come back to the 34c I still feel the same, then I'll likely get rid of it. I'm not much into collecting things and don't need 2 razors in the same class. I'd like to get my 5 razor collection down to a 3 razor rotation. I really wanted the 34c to be part of that rotation--its a cool razor--but I just isn't working well for me.

So far my definitive "keepers" are:
1. Muhle Rocca
2. EJ DE89 knurled

My undecideds:
1. RazoRock Game Changer 84p
2. Feather AS-D2

Not making the cut:
1. Merkur 34c

The only other Razor I've thought to acquire would be an adjustable - probably the Progress, but maybe the Rex Ambassador, or a vintage Fatboy. But I'm worried that owning an adjustable will cause me to shelf the other razors and I enjoy having a rotation and differed razors to match my mood. I know many here recommend the 6C/6S, or buying more baseplates for the Game Changer, but that is just not fun to me. I'd rather have a few distinct razors to rotate over changing plates. I'd buy a real adjustable before I'd use a razor with multiple plates.
I started with the EJ 89 Kelvin. An Edwin Jagger made exclusively for Amazon. Picked it up for £14. The 34c was going for £30. The reviews were good and it has served me very well. Blade gap is about the same as a vintage English Rocket, so efficient enough for BBS for me. The big problem was the crappy blades it came with. I think poor initial blade selection is why most newcomers stop DE shaving.

The Kelvin is a nice starter razor, with one of the more efficient Techs, or a Super Speed as has been mentioned.

I still use the Kelvin occasionally. It keeps up with you as you gain more experience and still delivers an excellent result with a good blade IMO.
IMG_20230427_210942852.jpg

Also do try an open comb. They can give wonderful results.

I've owned 3 of them - the DE89 (sold, pretty average, boring), the Feather AS-D2 (owned twice, sold twice, too mild to cut close using ordinary blades) and the 34C (good but sold as not as good as EJ 3one6 which is made from better materials and gives me an excellent, close, no-burn cut using affordable blades).

I find the DE89 an interesting and beautiful looking razor...I have the knurled version. I do wish the DE89 was stainless, which is why I have considered the 3one6 in the past, but opted for the Rocca instead. I heard the Rocca and 3one6 shave similarly and I just like the aesthetics of the Rocca better. To me the DE89 is a keeper, the AS D2 I've only used a few times so still deciding if it will work for me.

I started with the EJ 89 Kelvin. An Edwin Jagger made exclusively for Amazon. Picked it up for £14. The 34c was going for £30. The reviews were good and it has served me very well. Blade gap is about the same as a vintage English Rocket, so efficient enough for BBS for me. The big problem was the crappy blades it came with. I think poor initial blade selection is why most newcomers stop DE shaving.

The Kelvin is a nice starter razor, with one of the more efficient Techs, or a Super Speed as has been mentioned.

I still use the Kelvin occasionally. It keeps up with you as you gain more experience and still delivers an excellent result with a good blade IMO.
View attachment 1761655

Also do try an open comb. They can give wonderful results.
The DE89 I own is just like the Kelvin but with a longer handle. Very nice razors, indeed.

The first blades I tried I the 34c were astra sp, the second were feathers. I haven't found any problem blades yet, they seem to all work okay for me. I do think the feathers can be a bit "harsh" depending on how frequently I've been shaving.
Other blades like the Dorco, Derby, Bolzano, Timor and Merkur blades gave me razor burns and rash. Maybe it was my technique or bad lather, I might give those blades a try soon in the 34C HD and the Fatip open comb.

How often do you shave?

Other blades like the Dorco, Derby, Bolzano, Timor and Merkur blades gave me razor burns and rash. Maybe it was my technique or bad lather, I might give those blades a try soon in the 34C HD and the Fatip open comb.

How often do you shave?
Every 2-3 days.

I started DE shaving with a 34C about a dozen years ago (so I guess mine is "vintage" now... :) ), and that and an Astra SP blade were my go-to for most of that time.

I unfortunately got a box of horrible obviously bootleg Astras, and that started me thinking about my shaving again as I'm going through a West Coast Shaving variety pack of blades. Couple the bad blades with the fact that my face isn't as taut as it used to be and my beard hair is now coarser and thicker, and the 34C just wasn't giving me the quality shaves anymore. I'm working with a Muhle R41 now and getting some good results.

The thing with a 34C is that you barely feel the blade working, so you have to focus hard as you're building your technique. You almost don't know what you've done until you've finished a pass and felt your face.

For a long time, I could get a DFS with only two passes on a 34C/Astra combo. It took months to build that technique, though, and I still found myself devolving into bad habits occasionally, especially when I was in a hurry.

For whatever reason, I've also found that the 34C irritates my skin a lot now. Maybe just the allowance it gives for sloppy technique?

Bottom line, if you CAN get a good shave with a 34C, you're probably ready to try something more interesting. If not, it's probably still worth experimenting with a couple other razor/blade combos, but just know that your technique is going to have to improve anyway.

I'm not really understanding any reason to continue using a razor you don't like. Or use blades that irritate your skin or give you razor burns.

Just use what you like and feels good. Even if it's not a closer BBS shave, seems like a more enjoyable way to shave. Like if it feels better to use a X razor, and Z razor gives a better closer shave, I'm going with X. If Z is easier to use and gets result you like, and X is more aggravating, then go with Z. Like I don't see why use something you're unsatisfied with. Especially when there are endless choices with razors to choose from now.

I've already posted my feelings about my 34c, so this post is about how things change.

I often see someone ask a question, and a member will post links to 20 old threads that address the question, suggesting "Hey! Do a search!". Trouble is, the information is often obsolete or lacking.

I bought a 34c after doing a search here and finding many (probably outdated) threads praising the razor as a solid choice for a beginner, and it may have been one of the best - years ago. It may still be a solid choice for some, but it was not for me. There are better options now, and many of the responses to this thread bear that out.

Do a search for Derby Extra blades and you will actually find a surprising number of old posts praising the blades. There are old polls with Derby Extra blades a top choice, along with Feather. Post a poll about Derby today and I'm thinking that you will get primarily negative responses.

Why?

Because things change and even in our little niche pursuit the choices have exploded in a very short time, and there are many (better) options than existed 10 years ago.

A good shave can be had with any razor. The 34c is a solid razor and with practice you should be able to get a good shave with it.
But if you prefer the Rocca, use it. Some razors are easier to use than others. You don’t have to keep beating a dead horse

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For my mild razors I just use a Kai SS extra wide blade and they work fine. When using a Kai SS blade folks do not know they are a wider blade and have rough shaves. The blade gives a nice bump in blade feel and are smooth with excellent longevity. They are pricey but I get more shaves with a Kai blade so price is reasonably close to a competitor brand blade. They are not as sharp as a Feather blade but are a decent blade.
Like others have mentioned already set your 34c aside and come back to it as your technique matures and it will work better because you know how to work blade feel better and what you can get away with IMO.
After six years of shaving with DE & SE razors I can use any razor because I have collection of razors from mild to very aggressive ones are used through out the year with good results.
Kai SS VS Gillette Astra SP 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I bought a 34c after doing a search here and finding many (probably outdated) threads praising the razor as a solid choice for a beginner, and it may have been one of the best - years ago. It may still be a solid choice for some, but it was not for me. There are better options now, and many of the responses to this thread bear that out.

I still think it's a good choice for an absolute beginner. It's a forgiving razor and easy to obtain. However, the user should go in with the idea that they'll probably move on to something else once their technique improves. I wish I had done so years ago.

To be honest, I got mine at The Art of Shaving back when they had retail locations; the salesman recommended it to me. I really had no idea what I was looking for at that point.

One frustration for a beginner is that there are so many resources now, but much of it is either sales literature or opinion-based. No two faces are alike. In the end, you just have to pick a mild razor and go for it. The 34C is very good for that.

I still think it's a good choice for an absolute beginner. It's a forgiving razor and easy to obtain. However, the user should go in with the idea that they'll probably move on to something else once their technique improves. I wish I had done so years ago.

To be honest, I got mine at The Art of Shaving back when they had retail locations; the salesman recommended it to me. I really had no idea what I was looking for at that point.

One frustration for a beginner is that there are so many resources now, but much of it is either sales literature or opinion-based. No two faces are alike. In the end, you just have to pick a mild razor and go for it. The 34C is very good for that.

The saying goes:

"Hindsight is 20-20"

I wish I had started with something else, like a Gillette Tech, which is a much better shaver (for me, even now) and still forgiving as a beginner. I never got a satisfactory shave from the 34c, and even though I believe gave it a fair chance, the Tech was immediately superior.

That's my take, based on my experience. Personally, if a razor doesn't work for me, I dump it pretty quickly, especially now. Call it lazy but I don't have time for stuff that requires too much effort.

Top Bottom