What's new

34c should I keep trying?

Alright, so I am relatively new to DE razors and keep reading that the reason I find the 34c frustrating is because of technique (or lack thereof). The other night I completed 3 passes with the 34c and was so unhappy with the shave that I pulled out my Muhle Rocca and completed a 4th pass. The Rocca efficiently cleaned up the terrible shave I had with my 34c.

Now, I think the consensus on the forum for is to keep practicing technique and that I should be able to get an "irritation free BBS" with the 34c. Color me skeptical! 🫤 I'm just having a hard time believing that the 34c can deliver a nice shave for me, no matter how good my technique gets. I'm also struggling to understand why I should keep practicing with the 34c when I can already get great shaves from my Rocca with far less effort. Is there a benefit to using mild razors that I am not experiencing? I feel like the 34c gives me more irritation than the Rocca because I have to make so many passes and do too much "clean up" to achieve an acceptable shave. What am I missing? Should I just ditch the 34c or do I keep at it (and why)?

Edit: I should mention I pair the the 34c with a feather blade.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I find that milder razors such as the Merkur 34C and G, Schick Krona’s and Gillette Tech razors need to be paired with sharp blades such as Feathers, Nacets etc. This works for me very well. I would keep trying a little longer and if you don’t feel any improvement then stick with the razor that you believe works the best for you. I have tried a few razors and I occasionally use open comb razors but they are not what gives me the better shaves.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The aim is to get great shaves, both in terms of comfort, and in hitting the closeness that you personally want (ignore whatever closeness other folks need - you're not shaving their face, and they're not shaving yours). It doesn't matter which kit you use to get there.

The milder razors are inherently more difficult to find and maintain the correct angle necessary for the closest shaves. If you are getting the closeness you want, with zero irritation, on a razor that's easier for you to find the angle with... that sounds to me like you have answered your own question.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm also struggling to understand why I should keep practicing with the 34c when I can already get great shaves from my Rocca with far less effort.
So am I. You've got a razor that works well for you and you're use the one that doesn't??????????? The classic definition of insanity keeps popping into my head.

Every razor is not for every face/beard. It's possible you have the wrong angle for the 34C, but it's also possible that your beard is too tough to get the results you want from that razor. In any case - who cares? You've got a razor that works better for you and you really don't need anyone to tell you which one to use. Your brain works, you have thoughts - believe them.

The only way I've gotten that head design (EJ, Muhle, Merkur) is to shave very shallow while pushing the cap a little into my skin. Otherwise, there's just not enough cutting action to remove my whiskers sufficiently. The neutral angle of having the cap and safety bar touch the skin at the same time results in more of scraping action for me instead of slicing.

I, too, started with the 34C. I, too, found it disappointing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with moving on. It's not you, it's the razor.
I've had great shaves with the 34C. As someone mentioned in a earlier post, the razor should be paired with a sharper blade. I've used Feather and Bolzano blades and gotten two pass BBS shaves. A single pass results in a DFS.

Then again, as a lot of things shaving go, YMMV.

I'd ditch that thing and the Feathers with it. I couldn't get a BBS with a 34 using proper technique. I'd be annoyed how much stubble it left, so I'd dig in with a bunch of pressure to get there. And, of course, get irritation and cuts. People who blame your technique are full of it. It's the wrong tool for what you need. The more you use it, the worse your technique will get.

Find a more assertive razor and experiment with blades. Feathers are unique and extremely picky blades that aren't great to learn on.

Do whatever you want. The 34C with a Feather blade should work. Odds are your technique is poor or something else is off. How much growth are you trying to mow down?

FWIW I literally used this razor/blade combo yesterday, but I have been DE shaving a long time.

I like mild razors, so I thought I'd love the 34C, but it doesn't work for me at all. I just find it very inefficient, to the point where I spend almost as much time on touchups as I do on my shaves. I retired it and moved onto other mild razors that work better for me.

Over time I found that I need to ignore the approximate 30 degree rule and shave by feel. Early on when returning to wet shaving, I drove myself crazy with concentrating on techniques suggested. Now I can pick up just about any razor and get a good shave, and yes some leave me closer/smoother than others, and my concept of a close or even BBS has changed over time, where what I considered BBS maybe 5 years ago seems more like DFS or a SAS today.

My one shaving sin is possibly chasing BBS, but then I'm now getting there typically in two(2) passes most mornings, starting with predominantly an ATG pass, followed by a WTG/XTG hybrid pass, and actually apply some pressure while doing so. (I break 2-3 of the technique rules every morning, but it works for me). Most shavers aren't going to start off ATG or apply pressure, let alone do so with an R41, Rex Ambassador, or Timeless 95 OC. - I do the same with my Slim, GEM, Schick Adjustable, as well as the EJ/Muhle DE89 clone by Razor Meister, which is pretty much on par with the 34c.

Take a brake from the 34c, and come back in a week or two, you might be pleasantly surprised, and just pay more attention to the feel of the shave than following the techniques everybody suggests. Oh, and why Feathers are wicked sharp on the first shave anyway, they may not be the right blade for you, as sometimes less is more. I get better shaves from a Voskhod, Lord Platinum, or Persona Blue than a Feather, so go figure.

If you get good shaves with the Rocca stick with it and revisit the 34 in a month or so again to see if something has changed.

It’s not obligatory to get good shaves with a 34 to be a B&B member ;)

+1! Yes indeed! Stick with the kit that is working well for the time being! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

You may be surprised to find that your 34C performs better in a few months. If not then PIF IMHO!!

Ir seems that recent manufacturing runs of the 34C top cap have pretty loose tolerances. I bought a 34C in Q2 2022. The width of the blade posts on the top cap is a bit too small, resulting in a lot of blade "play." For this reason I don't recommend this razor. The Mühle R89 top cap seems to be of better quality, and the 34C and R89 geometries are similar.

I've had great shaves with the 34C. As someone mentioned in a earlier post, the razor should be paired with a sharper blade. I've used Feather and Bolzano blades and gotten two pass BBS shaves. A single pass results in a DFS.

Then again, as a lot of things shaving go, YMMV.
I believe the neutral or negative blade exposure is what I have trouble with. For my face, it gave satisfactory but not stellar results. On the head, it absolutely would not remove the hair on the back fringe of my melon.

Using a Kai blade, which has a slightly greater width and therefore provides a touch more blade exposure, REALLY wakes up the 34C for me.

It is still my sentimental favorite because it was my first. My original is on what seems to be "permanent loan" to a colleague who I got started. I replaced it with the gold 34G :)

How much growth are you trying to mow down?

I shave every 2-3 days.

My neck hairs laugh at the 34c. I can target the same hair from all angles and even add pressure and nothing happens except for irritation. With 1 swipe same hair is removed by the Rocca.

My tough spots under the chin, jaw line, etc also end up not so clean. Again, absolutely no problem with the Rocca. Only thing I can think of is that my hair grows very flat on my neck and jaw areas, maybe there’s just not enough blade exposure with the 34c? Also my stubble feels like a wire brush.

Last edited:
The Rocca has significantly more blade exposure than the 34c, which will make it easier to find an angle that will work - it might not be the optimal angle, but it will remove hair.

The current 34c is milder than the one a lot of veteran B&B members are familiar with, which is possibly why we think the 34c is a more efficient razor than you are finding yours to be.

You should still be able to make the 34c work for you, but if the Rocca is easier right now then use it. Your goal at first is to learn to use one razor really well - there's no reason that can't be the Rocca. Once you learn one razor, it becomes easier to learn another. Eventually you can pick up pretty much anything and get a shave from it.

Top Bottom