What's new

30mm experience?

The biggest knot I've tried was 28mm and it was awesome. It was also a fan, but at a short loft of 46mm and a much higher density than a Thater. A Thater fan at 30mm with their typical high loft will probably feel extremely floppy.

+1. Thaters are really nice brushes, but they're not as dense as the other big name brushes. Even though I prefer fans, I would opt for a bulb with a Thater.

The biggest knot I've tried was 28mm and it was awesome. It was also a fan, but at a short loft of 46mm and a much higher density than a Thater. A Thater fan at 30mm with their typical high loft will probably feel extremely floppy.

The 4125/3 is a 28mm knot (according to the Thater factory) but as we all know that can vary. With Thaters, the fans will perform with a larger feel than their bulb. That is to say, you want to underside a Thater fan. I own & enjoy a Thater 4125/3 bulb but I think a fan in that size is too much. Most people who use Thater prefer the 4125/2 size for bulb and corresponding 4125/1 size for fan.

I'm a big fan of my Kent BLK12. I dont use it everyday as it does take a little longer to get ready, but the trade off is a wonderful face full of warm lather that stays warm for three passes.

would love to move up to a 30 and try them. my kent bk8 is my favorite luxury. now trying rooney3/1; a shavemac d01, da vinci, and just got a duke 3 super to try. this obsession with brushes will bankrupt me yet. good luck if you get the thater

I bought a Chubby 3 years ago,it's just too damn big ,unless you have a face like Rondo Hatton....Sure,2 passes across and you are lathered up,but the knot sucks up loads of cream your face just can't use.I really try not to waste anything in life,so I stick with brushes under 28mm,and almost all my brushes have 23-24mm knots...Believe it or not,my Vie-Long "Barber Pro Extra" horse hair brushes produce fine lather,and they have only an 18mm knot.

Buon giorno malocchio(evil eye), Who the heck is Rondo Hatton? I'm curious.

Ciao bella,
Craig

Wow, I've heard some great points on both yay and nays for the 30mm. I'll have to really think of my options, but I'll be sure to post pics of my final decision. Thanx gentlemen.

I Had a massive brush made with a 32mm Finest, and can say I absolutely Love it! I may not use it everyday as I like to rotate and enjoy others, but its defiantly worth checking out! And the WD idea is an excellent thought! Keep us posted!

Are they truly too massive to really use in practical settings? Is it harder to control the lather?
We really can't answer that for you. You have to determine that yourself. 30 may be too big for some and just fine for others as demonstrated in this thread. We really can't tell where your preference will fall.

Think of it this way: If it was too massive for everyone then why would brush makers bother with a product that no one could use and that no one would buy?

Does it eat up soaps(which might not be that bad as the significant other stated no more soaps until I start finishing off my current lot)?
The knot size doesn't really have any impact. It's more a matter of the bristle type and how one loads.

I personally prefer larger knots and go very slowly through my soap since it doesn't take much to load MDC.

Last edited:
I just added a 32mm (nominal 30mm) Thater 4125/4 2-band bulb to my collection last week. It takes a bit longer to build up a good, thick lather with these big brushes, especially with the really dense ones, but it's worth it to me. I have used smaller brushes and didn't find fault with them at all; it's just that big brushes feel really special to me.

$thater 1.jpg$thater 2.jpg

VERY subjective question because, in the end, it's all going to depend on your personal preference and what you consider 'hard to control' and 'impractical'.

I face lather. I only used soaps. To me, anything 30mm or larger and floppy is shear luxury. Anything 30mm with backbone is nice but a tad 'scrubby' for my taste. And anything under 28mm feels small, inefficient, and a bit underwhelming.

Kent Bk12... Vulfix 41... Leonhardy 700030... 28mm Kimson - have never felt as though there was any trouble 'controlling' them. No soap or bristles splaying up the nostrils... into the sideburns... or onto the earlobes. Lather builds quick and easy. And the sweet, luxurious, full-face massage sensation is amazing.

As for big brushes being lather hogs -- it isn't so much the size of the knot as its density that will determine if it is a lather hog or not. I've had smaller 24-26mm, dense brushes from Simpsons and such that had FAR less flow-though than any of the big brushes I've used...

So, like most everything else in this wonderful, adventurous, yet oh-so subjective wet-shaving world we love... and as paintfinger mentioned above -- the only true way to find out if 30mm is right for you is to try one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom