What's new

3 pass shave. Yes or no.

It's all up to you. There's no right or wrong.

I usually do a 4-pass shave. But I enjoy shaving. It's my "me" time, a ceremonial ritual that satisfies some masculine need deep inside me. It squares me with the world. Read the book "Make Your Bed" by Admiral McRaven. No matter what kind of crap I have to take during the day, I know I've got as good a shave as any man -- and a lot better than most, by God!

I have to do three passes and even some neck cleanup to get near BBS. My neck has a swirl pattern which needs to be attacked from several angles. To top it off, I have sensitive skin on my neck so three light passes is a must. Usually after the third pass there are still a couple of small strips to either side of my adams apple that I can feel stubble so I swipe the lather saved up in my goatee down my neck and use that to clean that up those areas.

It's all up to you. There's no right or wrong.

I usually do a 4-pass shave. But I enjoy shaving. It's my "me" time, a ceremonial ritual that satisfies some masculine need deep inside me. It squares me with the world. Read the book "Make Your Bed" by Admiral McRaven. No matter what kind of crap I have to take during the day, I know I've got as good a shave as any man -- and a lot better than most, by God!
Well said Mempho!!
Everything flows from starting the day looking my personal best (not necessarily needing to look better than the other guy),
putting the effort into myself before walking out of the door means I can put the effort into whatever else I need
to do. oh ya, 3 pass for sure;)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
When I shave, and how many passes I take, is almost entirely subject to my mood at the time. Occasionally, but rarely, events dictate that I be impeccably shaven. The rest of the time, I'm free to choose at my leisure.

I enjoy my shaving routine so much that I will sometimes just keep going until I no longer have enough lather for a full pass. I usually try to stop somewhere between "okay" and "uh-oh". Enjoy your shaves!

My chin and upper neck need to be attacked from four directions so it's always 4 passes for me whether I shave once a week or every other day. That last pass can be pretty quick and superficial though.

For a long time I did a 3-pass shave to near-BBS whenever I had a 48-hour beard, the longest I tend to go without shaving and the most comfortable shave spot for me. Lately I've been doing just 1 pass on the cheeks and 2 on the throat during the week, and saving the 3-pass for Saturdays.

For me to get a BBS shave I do a 3 pass (with, across, and against) the grain. I then fell my face and if a missed a spot, I squeeze out the lather from my brush, apply to the area needed, and shave it off using against the grain pass. BINGO, BBS!!:001_cool:

1 pass for DFS
2½ passes for BBS
More agresive razor will give you less passes, it all depends on resut you want to achive

Yep, I am board with the > It is up you and what works best for you and your face. I have a different approach though. I prefer to have a two pass shave plus a little pie hole touch up. Basically it was ingrained when I starting with straights. With that as the built in target, I will select the appropriate tools for job. For DE's I always use two razors . One "Starter" and " one "Closer". A slant is always the starter, gives a better close shave, lasts longer, efficient, & zippo irritation. Then I was use a mild/med(non-slant) for the around the mouth for a little touch up. I love the variety and plus most of us certainty have penalty of razor laying around. So put them to use, pair them and give it try...or not...lol. There are no rules here, enjoy the shave, be open minded, creative, & have some fun!
BFX.....
“Sometimes, it’s the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination.”
“A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles."

I do a two pass shave, with the grain & against the grain. That's enough, if I can't get a good shave from that there is something else wrong. Perhaps need a more aggressive razor?

Top Bottom