What's new

3 pass shave. Yes or no.

Is the 3 pass shave the best way to go or just the single pass.
With the DE razor the basic principal is gradual reduction so how close a shave you do relates to how many passes you do. A single pass will probably be classed as a socially acceptable shave (SAS) so the minimum required. Three passes usually gets to a very close shave or you can do something in between; your choice.
The extra two passes do not take a lot of time; probably no more than 75 seconds a pass. That is not a lot of time in a shave routine.

With DE or Carts i do 3 pass shaves but i have tough whiskers and they grow in all sorts of directions so if i want a smooth shave i need 3 passes.

I could get by on 2 passes if i was really in a hurry or if i get too much irritation.

Fortunately my skin has a had a rest during the pandemic with me shaving only 2 or 3 times per week now.

When I started shaving, I used a multibladed cartridge razor; I did one pass ATG with touchups. It hurt (very tuggy). Fortunately, I only needed to shave once a week, then twice a week.

When I started wet shaving with a DE, I tried the same one pass shave. The result was as painful as with the cartridge razor. I then began to use a three pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) shave with touchups. That was better, but caused more post-shave face irritation.

I now use a two-pass shave (WTG, ATG) every two or three days. Each time, I get a BBS shave with little to no irritation.

The point of this is to find what works best for you. You may need to experiment a bit. Don't forget that technique, the razor, and the blade can all play a role in the comfort of your shaves.

Usually yes
But if I screwed up with atg day before I skip that pass.
And sometimes in the neck I skip xtg by using a gillette sliding technique for wtg and atg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
3 usually does it for me. I do additional passes in between the 3 formal passes if im
Using a slick soap that allows that.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Daily shaver here, two-pass is the norm for me. One isn't enough and three can tend to be too much for my skin.

Do what your skin tells you to do.

Me as well, as a previous poster alluded back in the day when I was using a Mach 3 it was a single pass WTG. When I started DE shaving over a year ago, I stuck with the single WTG pass for several months until I really had good technique. Only about 2-3 months ago I added in the second XTG pass. For me as a daily shaver this works quite well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to use 2 passes & neck area touch ups with a mid range razor. WTG +ATG + pickups by hand feel. Always use some lather for pickups if possible for protection & it tells you what direction the stubble is laying by hand feeling.
Less passes and good results is all I need, DFS,BBS range 97% of the time. I use to do 3 passes and touch ups and I over shaved according to Alum block(I use witch hazel with 14% alcohol instead of Alum now, more gentler IMO). Doing 3 pass with a mild razor I still will do that procedure with good results. Slant razors taught me 2 pass shave with pickups work well and doing 3 pass with pickups with a slant and checking with a alum block indicated over shaving because the slant razor is more efficient IMO.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
4 passes. I really like BBS and my neck can be difficult. I don’t mind because I enjoy shaving and with my shave scuttle I don’t run out of warm lather. I find stubble really itchy and I hate it when it snags on my shirt collar.

Top Bottom