What's new

23c

I just saw and reserved a 23c to pick up next fri. Couldn't let it go after seeing it in a real-world shop in Glasgow. Been using only Gillettes for the last few months and have been missing my HD like mad. Anyway I've been all the way back to page 39 on this subforum and was surprised to learn the gap's the same as the Tech/ HD Rocket, but there's not too much discussion about it. Does anyone know how this differs in-use from a Tech/Rocket?

My 23C feels a bit more aggressive than a Tech, and a bit less aggressive than an HD. Closer to the HD than to the Tech. A very good razor. YMMV.

Chuck

I just saw and reserved a 23c to pick up next fri. Couldn't let it go after seeing it in a real-world shop in Glasgow. Been using only Gillettes for the last few months and have been missing my HD like mad. Anyway I've been all the way back to page 39 on this subforum and was surprised to learn the gap's the same as the Tech/ HD Rocket, but there's not too much discussion about it. Does anyone know how this differs in-use from a Tech/Rocket?

Out of curosity which real shop is that in Glasgow?, the one in Princess square started out OK with some Merkurs but last time I was there all they had was some fancy M3 handles and some decent soaps. It would be nice to know if there is another vendor in the city I could visit as I am not in Glasgow often these days (live doon the water now).

Hey...another Weggie!
Its The Shaver Centre on Renfield St. Its downstairs on the......west side of the st near Satos and they've got 2 23cs (but one's mine!) a Slant and some others on order, expected in "a couple of months" (!) The Perfect Shave in Princes Sqre's now online only as the rent was put up too much. He was saying that Merkur are making him wait for months too, so now he only stocks Parkers.

Hey...another Weggie!
Its The Shaver Centre on Renfield St. Its downstairs on the......west side of the st near Satos and they've got 2 23cs (but one's mine!) a Slant and some others on order, expected in "a couple of months" (!) The Perfect Shave in Princes Sqre's now online only as the rent was put up too much. He was saying that Merkur are making him wait for months too, so now he only stocks Parkers.

Hi there, yes indeed another weggie....we tend to get about a bit.

I know where you are talking about, will take a trip in there one day but your 23c is safe....for now because I just got a new razor today (Muhle open comb)

The perfect shave was only good for soap and even at that I could get the soap much cheaper on-line. Still I try to buy locally when I can to support a local business. I found them quite nice to deal with. Last time i was there it was his wife and she did say that Merkur were not playing ball with them which I do find strange, it is a shame they are only on-line now.

Does the Shaver Centre have soaps as well or only just razors?

Yes the shave centre on renfeild stret has soap the last time i went in.I think it was taylors but not sure,they also sale brushes.Quite a nice little shop and the woman behind the counter is lovely.Just for conversation sake....i plastered and painted a bit in the store room lol that was years ago but.

There's no doubt the stock at The perfect Shave was intermittent and had some holes in it, most particularly in the blade dept, but as you say, its nicer to deal with people in the real world. I think they genuinely were getting messed around by Merkur, taking months for a few DEs to arrive etc, but they didn't do what I'd've done, which is make a very large order to stock up for the year. The Shaver Centre might hopefully be a good outlet if they get in some more stock. Will keep an eye on them

In addition to the above the shops location was not the best place. Don’t get me wrong Princess Square is nice but it is more for label snobs. I do buy stuff from there when they have exactly what I am looking for but the "average" shopper in that mall would not be the DE kind of guy, they are the Mach3 fancy handle and brush set kind of guys. While all generalisations are prone to exceptions I am sure you if you know Glasgow at all you know what I mean.

I think their location was also probably too expensive for the margin on the product set. All they had for what I would bet would be a high rental was a stand at the entrance. There was barely enough room to get a good look and sniff at the products without people squishing their way past on the way to the stores.

Had they opened a shop on one of the adjacent streets (from Glassford through to Hope Street) the people who would be interested in DE's would have found the shop, perhaps with the help of a little clever advertising. As much as I wanted to buy from The Prefect Shave they were just too much more expensive than I could find on-line.

It is a real shame because a city the size of Glasgow should be able to support a decent shaving shop, perhaps the shaver centre may develop, I will definitely pay it a visit and see if we can help grow a decent shop in the city.

Scotsmen, can I invite ye (!) all to join the UK DE subforum, a little group called CONUK.

Lots of UK specific advice and info.

Details below and a very warm welcome awaits you.

Top Bottom