2024 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of MacGyver

Still in

Gillette Aristocrat
Schick Ultra Platinium (6)
Shavemac Silvertip DO1
Palmolive Stick
RR Mudder Focker

IMG-DSC_6092 (1).JPG

I see a lot of people (a small subset but for the purpose of my point I am exaggerating) talking about cold water shaving on this forum. So I thought I'd try it, with a feather blade and a slant razor.

I. Will. Never. Do. That. Again.

They are a bunch of masochists who are not to be trusted. I will NEVER skip prep again. EVER!
Doesn't pre-shave prep occur regardless of the water temp ?
Forgive me, if I've obviously missed something here.
I normally only use the hot tap to rinse the blade; occasionally use a hot towel for the very last bit

brucered

System Generated
I normally only use the hot tap to rinse the blade; occasionally use a hot towel for the very last bit
I do the odd cold/cool water shave in the summer.

Prep is the same for me, Hot shower. Then lather and shave, all the water used is cold. With the exception of rinsing the razor and brush after the shave.

I actually see some skin benefits to a cold shave but can't do them all the time as they are not nearly as enjoyable as warm/hot water rinse etc.

I see a lot of people (a small subset but for the purpose of my point I am exaggerating) talking about cold water shaving on this forum. So I thought I'd try it, with a feather blade and a slant razor.

I. Will. Never. Do. That. Again.

They are a bunch of masochists who are not to be trusted. I will NEVER skip prep again. EVER!
Shaving with cold water is no replacement for prep in my view. I shave entirely cold and shave before the shower, because after the shower my beard doesn’t want to cooperate that much with the razor. But I certainly prep my beard with preshave and face lathering. I think all in all 20-25% of my shaving time is spend on preparing.

But then again I am a masochist so your mileage may vary :cuppa:

Cheers,

Guido

I've always started off using warm water for prep and during the shave followed by cold water. The warm water closes the pores and tightens the skin which promotes more protection. The cold opens the pores allowing more of the aftershave to enter and skin to relax. The warm water feels comfortable while the cold water is refreshing.

Another month successfully completed. Well done MacGyvers!! Make sure your pocket knife is sharp for another month.

Themes are helpful I find and May offers us Modern May. Get your modern gear out (anything from 1975 onwards)!

And as always enjoy what you have. All we need is a nice razor, a good blade, soap and a brush…and I think we all have plenty of them all to have great shaves!

Cheers and enjoy!!

Guido

The subset I'm talking about are the cold water prep, cold water shave. That is what I tried. No bueno for me. It felt like a combination of getting a splinter underneath the nail bed, a 75 yr old death-grip gramdma pinching my cheek when I was 8yrs old and an extremely tight rubber band snapped against your wrist when cutting every single hair.
I've always started off using warm water for prep and during the shave followed by cold water. The warm water closes the pores and tightens the skin which promotes more protection. The cold opens the pores allowing more of the aftershave to enter and skin to relax. The warm water feels comfortable while the cold water is refreshing.
I do the cold water final rinse to close the pores. The attempt was a cold water prep and cold water shave.

Still here.

Razor: Rockwell 6S (5)
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp Super (6)
Brush: Edwin jagger Classic Best
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Bowl
Preshave: GLYCE
Soap: Tabac Original
Aftershave: Tabac Original

IMG_2208.jpeg

Anyone else get great results with this blade? I’m impressed.

Make it a great day!

#14 in 2024 GRUYERE shave sebaticle - Still in

#31 GRUME April 2024 - Still in

Date: 04.30.24

Days growth: 8

Head and face shave

Razor: Merkur Progress

Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)

Brush: 1950’s Ever Ready R40 with original pure badger knot.

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Johnson and Johnson on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Proraso green cream

Passes: 2 Plus pickups WTG ATG setting 3 then 1.5

Post Shave Routine and products:

1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2

2 - Cold rinse

3 - Alum block

4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1

5 - Aftershave: Nivea Deep Bourbon and Vanilla

6 - Balm: Nivea sensitive skin

Notes: This was a pretty good shave today. I like that vintage Ever Ready, the knot is dense. When my beard is out of control (8 days growth) the Progress makes short work of the lengthy stubble. I don’t use Proraso green often but it’s very enjoyable when I do, I like its performance and that it’s refreshing. This is only my second Nacet blade and I like it well, sharper than the Astra SP and GSB that I normally use. I don’t know if they’re coated, it just says stainless on it so I assume not.

I had some blemish areas from my CPAP that got irritated but other than that it was a close comfortable shave.

Quality: 8.5

Comfort: 8

Enjoyment: 10

Overall: 8.83

Hot and even warm water are poison for my skin (face and body). I’ve even started taking cold showers in winter and it’s been great for my skin (yes, I’m a masochist). My prep is a short wash with Cerave cleanser and then a dab of Cremo while I bowl lather, then apply soap or cream on top. I could even shave with scraps (as an esteemed member of this forum does) using that combo

Top Bottom