What's new

2023 B&B Contributors Brush

@ChiefBroom

Stunning offerings this year! Which is making it difficult! Got it narrowed down to two options, both Chiefs.

Satin Butterscotch
Or
Polished Graphite

Does the butterscotch lean more orange or more of a deep burnt orange?

If anyone has pics of either they could share that would be awesome! 😃🤙

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I don't why, but we find Dark Holler Butterscotch (aka Ancient Orange) difficult to photograph, display, and print with consistent color correctness. What we get depends a lot on surroundings, lighting, and display calibration.

If you go to our website (www.paladinshaving.com), you can view lots of photos by 1) entering the Brush Shop, de-selcting In Stock, and then filtering on Butterscotch and/or 2) clicking on Gallery and browsing albums/pages in out Flickr Gallery.

Below is a photo I just took of butterscotch handles I have, which might be useful for comparison. In the red, rectangular box on the third shelf down are a polished Butterscotch PK-47 on the left and an unfinished screw-up on the right.

When I commissioned our Butterscotch back in early 2015 (the material was developed for and is bespoken to us), I provided samples of handles I wanted to match or come close to. I DID NOT want Cheez Whiz. We didn't exactly nail what I after, but we came pretty close and have stuck with it.

I took this photo with an iPhone 13 Pro and cropped and sized it in Photoshop. I did no other editing of any kind other than inserting the red box.

IMG-7500.jpg

I don't why, but we find Dark Holler Butterscotch (aka Ancient Orange) difficult to photograph, display, and print with consistent color correctness. What we get depends a lot on surroundings, lighting, and display calibration.

If you go to our website (www.paladinshaving.com), you can view lots of photos by 1) entering the Brush Shop, de-selcting In Stock, and then filtering on Butterscotch and/or 2) clicking on Gallery and browsing albums/pages in out Flickr Gallery.

Below is a photo I just took of butterscotch handles I have, which might be useful for comparison. In the red, rectangular box on the third shelf down are a polished Butterscotch PK-47 on the left and an unfinished screw-up on the right.

When I commissioned our Butterscotch back in early 2015 (the material was developed for and is bespoken to us), I provided samples of handles I wanted to match or come close to. I DID NOT want Cheez Whiz. We didn't exactly nail what I after, but we came pretty close and have stuck with it.

I took this photo with an iPhone 13 Pro and cropped and sized it in Photoshop. I did no other editing of any kind other than inserting the red box.

View attachment 1641973
Thank you kind sir!!

That helps understand the color better! And makes my decision that more difficult!!

@ChiefBroom

Stunning offerings this year! Which is making it difficult! Got it narrowed down to two options, both Chiefs.

Satin Butterscotch
Or
Polished Graphite

Does the butterscotch lean more orange or more of a deep burnt orange?

If anyone has pics of either they could share that would be awesome! 😃🤙
Here is my butterscotch Atlas. Like Ken said, the color changes from photo to photo. These two pics are both taken with a Nikon 3500 with the same lens and settings. Then only thing I changed was the angle and distance from the brush.

Pal Butter.jpg
Pal Butter2.jpg

Just curious, did the preorder close already? The links in the first post no longer work, thus my thinking it is now closed.

View attachment 1641973
In all fairness, the iPhone has a lot of processing to determine what it thinks a color should look like. You could take a raw photo with some models and then it won’t apply it’s color transformations to it. I have a strong feeling the color is more pumpkin brown than brighter orange, which many phones will over process pulling the red channel in its debayering as well as that red is a long wave length and depending on where the IR cut filter kicks in, you oversaturate the red channel.

A good light source would help a lot, with no ambient lighting if you are not comfortable with color interpolation.

Top Bottom