What's new

2023 B&B Contributors Brush

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
We're proud and very pleased to have been asked to make the B&B Contributors Brush for this year. Here is a link to the offering in the Contributors' Corner: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/2023-b-b-contributors-brush-release-thread.638679/. And here's one to a companion thread in the General Shaving Forum: INFO! - 2023 B&B Contributors Brush has been announced. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/2023-b-b-contributors-brush-has-been-announced.638724/#post-12209842.

Note that only B&B Contributors are eligible to participate in the offering, so if you're not already one, this might be a good time to take the plunge.

I'm going to use this thread to answer questions and post along the way about the process of making these brushes. Not surprisingly, there have already been some questions about the knots. I'll post here on that topic later today. First I need to make some photos and think a little more about what to say.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Hey, does anyone know what we ought (in the real world, not in normative terms) be able to ship a handle/brush to Canada for with insurance?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Had a quick question about the jade handles!
Are they jade stone or an acrylic/resin approximation? They're absolutely gorgeous 🥰

Our faux Jade is a polyester resin made in Italy and sourced from England. It was one of the first patterned materials to be introduced in the Rooney and Morris & Forndran lines when Frank McInroy was making the handles for Lee. It was, in fact, bespoken to Frank. Our Chief was derived from a Jade L7. That was the first M&F I acquired directly from Lee in Q4 '12.

Note that Jade is highly variegated such that what shows up on one side doesn't necessarily serve to predict appearance as viewed from difference angles in relation to the circumference.

Had a quick question about the jade handles!
Are they jade stone or an acrylic/resin approximation? They're absolutely gorgeous 🥰
Paladin Jade is awesome. Especially with a polished finish. No one polishes like they do. Here is my 28mm Falstaff with a WHE5 knot.
1681939510381.png

Hey, does anyone know what we ought (in the real world, not in normative terms) be able to ship a handle/brush to Canada for with insurance?
I send packages to Canada all the time. If you can keep it 8oz or less, it’s able to go 1st class mail.

This is using pirateship.com with 200 dollars insurance. This is to BC, so the farthest and most expensive from where I live (Eastern PA).

Do not use UPS or FedEx unless you want to have the buyer pay customs and brokers fees.

I used 9603.30.0000 for the HT code. It is a cosmetic brush, but may not be correct.

IMG_2357.png
IMG_2358.png

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m not quite sure where to look for the two badger knot descriptions for the Contributor’s offerings for 2023. I know next to nothing about badger brushes. I have a few SV brushes I like very much and a Zenith Manchurian that is close behind them. I also have an Elite premium Manchurian that is just a bit too soft for me. It isn’t floppy at all but doesn’t have much of the gentle scrub I’ve come to enjoy.

Do either of these two knots fall into something you’d think I’d like, knowing it’s so subjective?

I’m not quite sure where to look for the two badger knot descriptions for the Contributor’s offerings for 2023. I know next to nothing about badger brushes. I have a few SV brushes I like very much and a Zenith Manchurian that is close behind them. I also have an Elite premium Manchurian that is just a bit too soft for me. It isn’t floppy at all but doesn’t have much of the gentle scrub I’ve come to enjoy.

Do either of these two knots fall into something you’d think I’d like, knowing it’s so subjective?
@ChiefBroom has promised to give us his take on the various knot offerings, either in this or the contributor thread.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Thanks!

FWIW, I have no desire to see buyers pay customs or brokerage fees, but we can't take an active part in facilitation of evading legal obligations buyers might have on their side. That's a slippery slope, and I'm not willing to run the risks. If we're obligated to complete a custom's disclosure, we'll state purchase price as value.

I know other vendors make exceptions. I've seen posts on other boards (never on B&B) where buyers have expressed gratitude for a vendor having understated value to minimize duties. That, in itself, is sufficient reason to maintain legal compliance. No good deed goes unpunished.

All of that said, many forwarding agents simply accept a buyer's declaration of value. That falls beyond the scope of my concern.

Top Bottom