What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

1578663198523.png

The bonus drawing for a stick of Tabac will be on Sunday, Jan 11, 2020. Some in this picture are not in the PIF but are staying to give support.

It's understood these 20 drivers are committed to completing the first quarter. There will be three PIFs at the end of the quarter if EVERY DRIVER in the Commitment Circle survives.

The prizes may get bigger each quarter, so stick around folks.

Last edited:
Do you have a specific way you are gauging the quality of the blades? Do you use them for a predetermined number of shaves to see if their performance changes over time?

I ask in part because I am interested in how people rate their shaves in general but even specific pieces of gear (I started a thread about this that has some interesting input and seems to be highly based on subjective feelings of the user.) At times I worry that I am just not in tune with my face. There have only been three brands of blades that I find uncomfortable enough to give up on, otherwise, I am not sure I can tell you any differences between blades.

Last year part of going out was to let everyone live vicariously through our failings. It's good fun. Out of curiosity, if it's not too personal, how many months could you go using a razor already in your possession that you haven't used before?

Do you have another thread for razor ratings?

SOTD (# 6/2020)
10-01-2020

20200109_161830-01-01-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: WestCoastShaving Synthetic Two-Tone Tall 26/56
Soap: Cyril R. Salter "Fresh Mint"
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable 109
Blade: Wilkonson Sword /Germany (4)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Nivea Aftershave Balm...

Smooth 3-pass shave...

JAHE - still in

Do you have another thread for razor ratings?

I do not. I can see where you would get that impression based on word choice and grammar. All of it is interesting to me. Especially when you get down to the gear vs whole shave rating. Can you have a good shave with gear that you rate as poor?

A couple answers still blank... just want to be sure there are no more entries before I start the raffle

• I speak without a mouth and hear without ears. I have no body, but I come alive with wind. What am I?
  • You measure my life in hours and I serve you by expiring. I’m quick when I’m thin and slow when I’m fat. The wind is my enemy.
  • I have cities, but no houses. I have mountains, but no trees. I have water, but no fish. What am I?
    • A map (Atlantic59)
  • What is seen in the middle of March and April that can’t be seen at the beginning or end of either month?
    • The letter "r" (ryanshh)
  • You see a boat filled with people. It has not sunk, but when you look again you don’t see a single person on the boat. Why?
    • They are all married (GaryTha - not in)
  • What word in the English language does the following: the first two letters signify a male, the first three letters signify a female, the first four letters signify a great, while the entire world signifies a great woman. What is the word?
    • Heroine (JAHE)
  • What English word has three consecutive double letters?
    • Bookkeeping (02flhtci)
  • A woman shoots her husband, then holds him underwater for five minutes. Next, she hangs him. Right after, they enjoy a lovely dinner. Explain.
    • She shoots him with a camera... (Pepin)
  • I come from a mine and get surrounded by wood always. Everyone uses me. What am I?
  • A girl has as many brothers as sisters, but each brother has only half as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there in the family?
    • 3 brothers and 4 sisters (Sotiris_A - not in)
  • What disappears as soon as you say its name?
    • Silence (Chesty)
  • How can the number four be half of five?
    • IV (T.Orso)
  • I have keys, but no locks and space, and no rooms. You can enter, but you can’t go outside. What am I?
  • What gets wet while drying?
    • A towel (Ruva)
  • A is the brother of B. B is the brother of C. C is the father of D. So how is D related to A?
    • A would be D's uncle (emwolf)
  • What are the next three letters in this combination? OTTFFSS
    • ENT (Neffarious)
  • This belongs to you, but everyone else uses it.
    • Your Name (Heron)

A note that mr_houston solved one of these in post #497

• I have keys, but no locks and space, and no rooms. You can enter, but you can’t go outside. What am I?
A typewriter.

I decided to announce the Circle of Commitment PIF winner early. Would the winner please send me an IM with your address. I'll send the stick of TABAC from Amazon.

1578697240861.png

TimeClo

I do not. I can see where you would get that impression based on word choice and grammar. All of it is interesting to me. Especially when you get down to the gear vs whole shave rating. Can you have a good shave with gear that you rate as poor?

My rating system for blades is simple. It's either an Astra SP or it's not.

Well just tried a new Astra sp in my PAa Ascension, wow, with alot of lather. Two small weepers, a very very good shave. Love Stirling Mita as well. Will use this blade for a confirmation shave and either move to another razor or blade. This was so good might not need to try other blades in it

Well just tried a new Astra sp in my PAa Ascension, wow, with alot of lather. Two small weepers, a very very good shave. Love Stirling Mita as well. Will use this blade for a confirmation shave and either move to another razor or blade. This was so good might not need to try other blades in it

If your technique is good, the Astra SP will shave as well on the 52nd shave as the first. I haven't taken one further, but many have.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
My rating system for blades is simple. It's either an Astra SP or it's not.

Did Astra get good? It’s been a long time since I used one and I remember them being very inconsistent in a 40’s Superspeed. I don’t think I ever tried one in my EJ89.

SOTD (# 6/2020)
10-01-2020

View attachment 1051342

Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: WestCoastShaving Synthetic Two-Tone Tall 26/56
Soap: Cyril R. Salter "Fresh Mint"
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable 109
Blade: Wilkonson Sword /Germany (4)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Nivea Aftershave Balm...

Smooth 3-pass shave...

JAHE - still in

That's a pretty brush. Does the Salter "Fresh Mint" live up to its name and smell like Mint from the garden?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
  • I speak without a mouth and hear without ears. I have no body, but I come alive with wind. What am I?
  • You measure my life in hours and I serve you by expiring. I’m quick when I’m thin and slow when I’m fat. The wind is my enemy.
  • I have cities, but no houses. I have mountains, but no trees. I have water, but no fish. What am I?
    • A map (Atlantic59)
  • What is seen in the middle of March and April that can’t be seen at the beginning or end of either month?
  • You see a boat filled with people. It has not sunk, but when you look again you don’t see a single person on the boat. Why?
  • What word in the English language does the following: the first two letters signify a male, the first three letters signify a female, the first four letters signify a great, while the entire world signifies a great woman. What is the word?
    • Heroine (JAHE)
    • Bookkeeping (02flhtci)
  • A woman shoots her husband, then holds him underwater for five minutes. Next, she hangs him. Right after, they enjoy a lovely dinner. Explain.
  • I come from a mine and get surrounded by wood always. Everyone uses me. What am I?
  • A girl has as many brothers as sisters, but each brother has only half as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there in the family?
    • Silence (Chesty)
    • IV (T.Orso)
    • A towel (Ruva)
  • A is the brother of B. B is the brother of C. C is the father of D. So how is D related to A?
    • ENT (Neffarious)
    • Your Name (Heron)

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
    • A map (Atlantic59)
    • Heroine (JAHE)
    • Bookkeeping (02flhtci)
    • Silence (Chesty)
    • IV (T.Orso)
    • A typewriter (Mr_houston)
    • A towel (Ruva)
    • ENT (Neffarious)
    • Your Name (Heron)

Still in.

Had a pretty good shave today. I worked with a lot thinner lather but it did the job regardless. Also, I probably have to pass on my Stirling Red Delicious as the scent is a bit too strong. It's hard to let go of any Stirling, haha.

Did Astra get good? It’s been a long time since I used one and I remember them being very inconsistent in a 40’s Superspeed. I don’t think I ever tried one in my EJ89.

I used them for 164 shaves during the last 13 months. They are excellent for me. I use a Van der Hagen (short handle) razor.

Still in (of course).

I've been pondering -- how long would I be able to go without needing to buy anything, if the sabbatical continued indefinitely? Could you get enjoyment from seeing how long you can avoid buying more stuff? In this way, could you replace a less healthy habit with a more healthy one?

We are fortunate to have such an abundance of great shaving products available to us. Enjoyment come from having enough, we really don't need to acquire more than that. If you want to try something new, that's fine. You can wait until you actually need it. Use this sabbatical time to find out how much "enough" really is.

Top Bottom