What's new

2020 Rocnel Sailor adjustable razor production model

Anyone else take delivery of the 2021? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Haven't received mine yet, most likely during the next shipment from Bullgoose.

Lots of positive reviews over at the other forums tho.

Are you still looking to secure a production model yourself?

Haven't received mine yet, most likely during the next shipment from Bullgoose.

Lots of positive reviews over at the other forums tho.

Are you still looking to secure a production model yourself?
I will likely buy one, yes. I was trying to wait until the final shipment so someone else could enjoy.

Well, James … I ordered one of these (from Bullgoose). Joining the Rocnel 2021 team, brother. Thanks for enabl- I mean encouraging me! And a big thanks to Marius (@Calm_Shaver ) for alerting me.

Yes! That is awesome news, Dan. Congrats. I am excited to hear your thoughts on the Sailor. It has far exceeded any expectations I hadand has jumped to the #1 spot in my den. If you like your 1.25 and can handle the extra weight, I think you will love the Sailor. It can do it all.

Keep me posted on that first shave report.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Yes! That is awesome news, Dan. Congrats. I am excited to hear your thoughts on the Sailor. It has far exceeded any expectations I hadand has jumped to the #1 spot in my den. If you like your 1.25 and can handle the extra weight, I think you will love the Sailor. It can do it all.

Keep me posted on that first shave report.
Thank you, and I certainly will. Should be delivered mid-week. I was particularly persuaded by your report that suggested that the Sailor is like a WR2 from gaps 1.15 thru 1.65 (and beyond). That is quite a comparison, and you’ve never been hyperbolic. I’m excited to try it!

Thank you, and I certainly will. Should be delivered mid-week. I was particularly persuaded by your report that suggested that the Sailor is like a WR2 from gaps 1.15 thru 1.65 (and beyond). That is quite a comparison, and you’ve never been hyperbolic. I’m excited to try it!
Oh yeah, on setting 4ish, it will surpass a 1.65 and it still has more headroom than anyone will use...all while remaining very smooth. The blade feel increases with gap but it never becomes harsh.

Plus, with on the fly adjustability, you can dial in any combination of Wolfies your heart desires.

How do you plan in getting to know it? Start at lowest setting and go up, jump in the middle, go wild on the first pass?

Hannah's Dad

Oh yeah, on setting 4ish, it will surpass a 1.65 and it still has more headroom than anyone will use...all while remaining very smooth. The blade feel increases with gap but it never becomes harsh.

Plus, with on the fly adjustability, you can dial in any combination of Wolfies your heart desires.

How do you plan in getting to know it? Start at lowest setting and go up, jump in the middle, go wild on the first pass?

I think I’ll start low — like at 1.5-2 — just to gauge its efficiency at the lowest settings. Then I’ll crank it up and see what all the fuss is about. The handle length might be the most challenging part for me, inasmuch as the Blackbird 101mm handle is my absolute favorite ever. At 75mm, the Sailor will be quite short by comparison. Hopefully I can adapt.

I think I’ll start low — like at 1.5-2 — just to gauge its efficiency at the lowest settings. Then I’ll crank it up and see what all the fuss is about. The handle length might be the most challenging part for me, inasmuch as the Blackbird 101mm handle is my absolute favorite ever. At 75mm, the Sailor will be quite short by comparison. Hopefully I can adapt.
Good plan. I was a little worried about the handle length as well but I have had no issues with it, even tho I prefer the 98mm range. The balance on the Sailor is excellent and with the weight, I generally grab closer to the head anyway for better control. I try to remove any wrist flick on the big boys. The butt of the handle rests on my pinky finger and it really feels good in your hand.

If it becomes a big issue for you, I will send you my 2020 with the longer handle. You can experiment with it. If you prefer the 2020, we will go on a mission to swap your 2021 out.

Same here. The challenge will be the handle for me as well. Mine is also supposed to be delivered mid-week, but I have so much going on right now that I probably won't unbox it for a while. I am looking forward to your impressions!

Same here. The challenge will be the handle for me as well. Mine is also supposed to be delivered mid-week, but I have so much going on right now that I probably won't unbox it for a while. I am looking forward to your impressions!
Another friend of mine hates short handles. Once he got the 21 in hand and used it some, it is now his favorite razor. He also has the 2020 model.

If you guys don't like the 21, you are the outlier, from my experience.

Hannah's Dad

Well, I am impressed. Shipped from California Friday and arrived in Pittsburgh on Monday (and a holiday weekend). Impressive service from Bullgoose.

The Sailor has arrived. It’s a finely crafted tank of a razor. Hefty, but perfectly balanced. The blending of machined and polished areas is quite attractive. I’ll provide a shave report tomorrow; but as for first impressions, I am very impressed.

Here are a few pics — the WR2 is with the 100mm handle so as to provide height comparison.

C9C3A42B-108C-4393-A5CF-0F3EA1B6616A.jpeg
58B4CB9C-79CD-4CD5-9A95-25EF2A1DB39D.jpeg
4EABE188-7D54-431E-8B49-2EBCC7AF7E9C.jpeg
A27329DE-2813-4506-84C5-EDA1018A9A46.jpeg

Well, I am impressed. Shipped from California Friday and arrived in Pittsburgh on Monday (and a holiday weekend). Impressive service from Bullgoose.

The Sailor has arrived. It’s a finely crafted tank of a razor. Hefty, but perfectly balanced. The blending of machined and polished areas is quite attractive. I’ll provide a shave report tomorrow; but as for first impressions, I am very impressed.

Here are a few pics — the WR2 is with the 100mm handle so as to provide height comparison.

View attachment 1292426View attachment 1292427View attachment 1292428View attachment 1292429

Awesome service from Phil. Wow. Good on him.

Congrats on the addition, Dan. I hope she performs well for you.

Now, for fun, lay those 2 razors on the table. Align the bars. I noticed similar feel in the 2 heads before I compared the bar up head profile. They are very, very close. The Sailor is ever so slightly more rounded at the cap edge. I think that is a benefit to us Steep Angle shavers.

Looking forward to hearing your report tomorrow. I also long to see your SOTD pic...and I challenge you to do it outside, in the sunshine. [emoji14]

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

Awesome service from Phil. Wow. Good on him.

Congrats on the addition, Dan. I hope she performs well for you.

Now, for fun, lay those 2 razors on the table. Align the bars. I noticed similar feel in the 2 heads before I compared the bar up head profile. They are very, very close. The Sailor is ever so slightly more rounded at the cap edge. I think that is a benefit to us Steep Angle shavers.

Looking forward to hearing your report tomorrow. I also long to see your SOTD pic...and I challenge you to do it outside, in the sunshine. [emoji14]
James … I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying about these two baseplates. Do these pictures show what you’re seeing?
D73795A2-839F-4A8F-998F-54579FD65C21.jpeg
022C9FA2-403A-4F3D-A6F9-5C2522A86BB5.jpeg

James … I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying about these two baseplates. Do these pictures show what you’re seeing?
View attachment 1292486View attachment 1292487
The bottom picture. Then look at it from the end of the plate. Just trying to get you to compare the curve of the head, from safety bar to safety bar.

The geometry is pretty similar.

Good plan. I was a little worried about the handle length as well but I have had no issues with it, even tho I prefer the 98mm range. The balance on the Sailor is excellent and with the weight, I generally grab closer to the head anyway for better control. I try to remove any wrist flick on the big boys. The butt of the handle rests on my pinky finger and it really feels good in your hand.

If it becomes a big issue for you, I will send you my 2020 with the longer handle. You can experiment with it. If you prefer the 2020, we will go on a mission to swap your 2021 out.

Swap out the 2020 eh? The one with the gold ring or the white ring prototype?

Top Bottom