What's new

2020 Rocnel Sailor adjustable razor production model

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Since James challenged me with an outdoor SOTD picture, I snapped a quick one in the morning sunlight before I headed to work. A later-evening shave awaits, but Tabac and the Blood of Kings brush are worthy choices for the Sailor’s inaugural journey. Have a great day, my friends!
655B4041-E239-4DD5-B540-4A30A9ADC0F5.jpeg

Hannah's Dad

Incredible first shave. I rocked a Feather on its second shave (my favorite # with Feathers) and set the Rocnel to setting 1 just to see how smooth it is. Boy, is it ever smooth. We’re talking vintage Tech smooth. I could feel no blade; yet the weight of the Rocnel was removing lather and hair with ease. Wonderfully comfortable first WTG pass, and I was astounded at how efficient the result was. I had to check again to see whether I had inadvertently moved the dial to a higher setting because I was sure setting 1 couldn’t be this good. But it was that good.

The second pass across the grain was just as smooth and comfortable. The weight of the razor was the only ‘challenge’, but it felt secure at all times and well balanced. My pinkie provided a ‘backstop’ of control.

I didn’t really need a third pass — truly remarkable as that is — but I wanted to feel the razor against the grain, and it was buttery smooth.

Well, on days when I want to race around my face without a care, I’ll set this razor on 1 and enjoy a perfect 3-pass shave.

I will be interested to see when stubble emerges tomorrow; but my face feels awesome tonight.

My next shave will be on setting 3 — and I expect to feel some blade. What an impressive piece of steel!

Incredible first shave. I rocked a Feather on its second shave (my favorite # with Feathers) and set the Rocnel to setting 1 just to see how smooth it is. Boy, is it ever smooth. We’re talking vintage Tech smooth. I could feel no blade; yet the weight of the Rocnel was removing lather and hair with ease. Wonderfully comfortable first WTG pass, and I was astounded at how efficient the result was. I had to check again to see whether I had inadvertently moved the dial to a higher setting because I was sure setting 1 couldn’t be this good. But it was that good.

The second pass across the grain was just as smooth and comfortable. The weight of the razor was the only ‘challenge’, but it felt secure at all times and well balanced. My pinkie provided a ‘backstop’ of control.

I didn’t really need a third pass — truly remarkable as that is — but I wanted to feel the razor against the grain, and it was buttery smooth.

Well, on days when I want to race around my face without a care, I’ll set this razor on 1 and enjoy a perfect 3-pass shave.

I will be interested to see when stubble emerges tomorrow; but my face feels awesome tonight.

My next shave will be on setting 3 — and I expect to feel some blade. What an impressive piece of steel!
Excellent report, Dan. Glad the "mild" worked so well for you. Ready to see you head toward "wild".

Great looking pic. Hard to pick out the star.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

Excellent report, Dan. Glad the "mild" worked so well for you. Ready to see you head toward "wild".

Great looking pic. Hard to pick out the star.

Hey, you’re talking to a ‘Slim on 9‘ kind of guy. I’ll crank the Sailor up high soon enough. Thanks again, James, for your all of your wisdom, generosity and friendship.

Hannah's Dad

What do you guys think about the head of the Rocnel compared to a Wolfman? Seems bulky to me.
Definitely bulky as compared with a Wolf (especially the WR1). Nobody will ever accuse the Sailor of being Old Type ‘nimble.’ But man does it glide across the face! I had to stay open-minded to pull the trigger on the Sailor because the bulky head is not what typically draws my interest.

It's definitely not a cheapie but, my initial shave last night and thoughts are very positive. Short handle, oversized razor head with some heft to it. You would think that this is going to be off balance and overly head heavy. Well, it might be slightly porky on the head side but, it actually balances very well and once in the shave I barely noticed it. The handle is shorter than I would prefer but, it's not a deal breaker. The quality & craftsmanship is world class and not up for debate.

More shaves to get better acquainted with it and more reports to follow....

B3C59B28-F9E5-4D09-8216-ED586D5A7C75.jpeg.jpg

98UbNgq.jpg

It's definitely a bulky head unlike wolfman razors. It's a much heavier razor than I'm used to and not really not preference in weight.
Despite these things it's such a smooth razor. With the smoothness, efficiency and adjustability anywhere at all on the dial, no clicking, I think we're going to get along just fine.

It's definitely not a cheapie but, my initial shave last night and thoughts are very positive. Short handle, oversized razor head with some heft to it. You would think that this is going to be off balance and overly head heavy. Well, it might be slightly porky on the head side but, it actually balances very well and once in the shave I barely noticed it. The handle is shorter than I would prefer but, it's not a deal breaker. The quality & craftsmanship is world class and not up for debate.

More shaves to get better acquainted with it and more reports to follow....

View attachment 1293179
View attachment 1293180
Hoping to read about a shave off between your Sailor and your Taiga!

Incredible first shave. I rocked a Feather on its second shave (my favorite # with Feathers) and set the Rocnel to setting 1 just to see how smooth it is. Boy, is it ever smooth.

Evidently I can't keep my hands off a new razor no matter what I have going on.

I followed your lead and started at 1 and got an easy DFS+. I use a BB (ss) as a daily driver and a Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB. I'm glad I started off on 1 to get a feel for it - it was not as heavy as I thought it would be. On to the 2 setting tomorrow.

Hannah's Dad

Evidently I can't keep my hands off a new razor no matter what I have going on.

I followed your lead and started at 1 and got an easy DFS+. I use a BB (ss) as a daily driver and a Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB. I'm glad I started off on 1 to get a feel for it - it was not as heavy as I thought it would be. On to the 2 setting tomorrow.
Keep us posted, my friend!

What do you guys think about the head of the Rocnel compared to a Wolfman? Seems bulky to me.
From a performance viewpoint, the WR2 and Sailor are very similar. Thats about the only thing they have in common...and materials, I suppose.

Yes, a Sailor wears the Husky jeans. Yet, even so, it is a remarkable piece of equipment.

From an economics perspective, the Sailor is the superior option even at the 2020 $690 price point. At $480, the 2021 is a no brainer. You only need one. And you don't have to fret over which gap to order.

Only you can decide if the trade offs are worth it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom