What's new

2020 quarantine confession thread.

I have started shaving again during the quarantine, after having a full beard for many years, so shaving products have cost me big - Merkur 39C, Parker Semi Slant, Feather SS, MWF, blades, a whole heap of stuff ordered from Executive Shaving today... The amount in total is £*REDACTED*

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Redacted!?! Nobody here is going to rat you out! Spill it!

I have started shaving again during the quarantine, after having a full beard for many years, so shaving products have cost me big - Merkur 39C, Parker Semi Slant, Feather SS, MWF, blades, a whole heap of stuff ordered from Executive Shaving today... The amount in total is £*REDACTED*

Redacted!?! Nobody here is going to rat you out! Spill it!

Dear B&B community, forgive me. It has been a few years since my last confession. I come to you during this quarantine to confess the following purchases:

Proraso soap tub
Proraso AS splash
2 QED shampoo bars
2 Ogallala Bay Rum shaving sticks (one Bay rum. One bay rum and vanilla)
50 Polsilver blades
30 Timor blades
100 Tatra blades
1 Weishi razor (no idea what model number it is; I got it on closeout)
1 Omega boar brush (same as the razor)
2 CC AS splashes (Venture and Nor'easter)

Overall, I spent $125. While not a lot, I literally needed none of it (arguably just the Proraso as I'm running low on both).

Well, I have a particular fondness for vintage Faberge Brut, plus I also love Avon and am trying to get all my favourites in cologne form, in the original plain non-novelty bottle styles. My current collection of aftershaves, EDT, and colognes, comes to about 50. Here is a part of my Brut collection:

View attachment 1105005
Well it's probably round about £500, if not more!

I'm telling.

Lol Rusty, anytime I tell her, 'no need to buy me a gift' she knows I'm up to no good. Maybe I'll let her buy me something this year hahahaha

I actually haven't made any shave related purchases in the last 4 months, so the quarantine hasn't really affected my AD's much. That doesn't mean I haven't been looking though! I've looked over most of the recent BTS listings and I've had a couple unsuccessful Ebay bids on items that I didn't really feel to put off for not winning.
May be my hearts not into it right now, or I'm currently content with what I have right now.

I can honestly say I have not purchased one single shaving related item since last year. I'm well on my way to having 2020 be a year of restraint for my shaving addiction. Of course, that's because the previous 4 years have been nothing but nonstop acquisition. My one purchase this year is not shaving related but drum related. I bought a used snare drum. A Pearl Sensitone steel snare in amazing condition for all of $50. They generally sell for between $75 and $125. It was a deal that was too sweet to pass up.

Wife and I continued working full-time. We did save a lot on not eating out 2-3 times a week though. We also refi the mortgage to a lower rate, no cash out, but skipping the May payment put a lot of extra cash in the bank. No shave related items, but a fair amount of pipe tobacco, a few more cigars, and a new handgun for me, a new sewing machine for her. Still cash ahead and put into savings.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Hmm. I did quite a bit of damage, now that I think about it:
  • Two razors;
  • Two pucks of soap;
  • Six soap samples;
  • One brush;
  • One hundred blades;
  • Eleven (!) frags.
Figure the total comes to roughly $700. I wondered where that stimulus check went.

Last edited:
I have mostly focused on spending a bit more time with my AM shaves and REALLY ENJOYING the moment!

Then I check the news! :a13:

Dear B&B community, forgive me. It has been a few years since my last confession. I come to you during this quarantine to confess the following purchases:

Proraso soap tub
Proraso AS splash
2 QED shampoo bars
2 Ogallala Bay Rum shaving sticks (one Bay rum. One bay rum and vanilla)
50 Polsilver blades
30 Timor blades
100 Tatra blades
1 Weishi razor (no idea what model number it is; I got it on closeout)
1 Omega boar brush (same as the razor)
2 CC AS splashes (Venture and Nor'easter)

Overall, I spent $125. While not a lot, I literally needed none of it (arguably just the Proraso as I'm running low on both).
Three Hail Gillettes and you must shave with the same Derby Extra for one week.

😷

So far:

Prewar FH Tech - USA
Prewar FH Tech - Canada
Box to go with my 41 Ranger Tech
GEM Featherweight
Postwar FH Gold Tech
Black Plastic Handle Tech
Various vintage blade packs
Goodwill
NEW SC
Fatip Grande
Full size Tech handle for my travel Tech
Gillette Razor toothbrush holder
Vintage dopp kit
Schick E3 and matching case
Gillette countertop display
Parker shavette
GEM Clog Pruf
6 brushes (3 razorock synthetics, 3 vintage)
Replacement knots for a couple of brushes
50 GSB
Mr Pepper shave soap
Coffee Spoon shave soap
Cella shave soap
Hasling shave soap
and was PIFed a Soapy Science soap

I don't want to calculate how much I've spent, though I can say after selling several items in the den and some old electronics I am PLUS $300 with more listed and some to be listed

I haven't bought much shave related stuff in the last few years. Last year I did buy 100 Personna Reds. I bought myself a birthday present in April . . . . . a Semogue Torga C-5, which has finally showed up in New York in the last few days. All that it has to do now is get to Michigan. In the last couple of weeks I bout a Maggards mixed knot which will go into a handle that I haven't made yet, but I've ordered some imitation ivory for that. All total amount to about $72 for this year.

Nothing for me, and I intend to continue along this way. I've some good stuff, and I will use it until it's gone. Buying-because-I-can-afford-it is not my style.
Having said that, I do enjoy reading other folks' tales of fortune, fame and glory.

Top Bottom