What's new

2020 quarantine confession thread.

Alright. I know I’m not alone in this. With all the extra time on our hands while many of us were ordered or asked to stay at home due to the global health concerns of early 2020, it’s time to come clean. Confess and share the financial damage you imposed unto yourself for shave related purchases. Whether it be from our own BST, the Bay, or any of the far reaches of the internet we often venture to scratch an itch of one of our many *AD’s.

If you are beginning to resume life as we all once knew, please provide the dates effective of your stay at home orders/quarantines etc... A sum of your newly acquired gear and a summary of the items if you wish.

If you have yet to resume life as was previously known to you and are still stuck at home, please refrain from posting as you still have more time to browse and scratch you acquisition disorder itches. I am in this camp as I am not yet out of the woods where I live and will not consider myself as back to normal until I resume reporting to the office full time and am no longer working from home.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Although still under quarantine, my financial situation has not really changed as I have been working from home for a few decades. That being said, during this quarantine, I have been buying $100 to $200 worth of food each week to give to the poorer living near me.

IMG_20200526_095200.jpg
Family living behind my house​

As for shave related purchases, they have been very much restricted as our president here must not be a wet shaver, so shaving gear has not been considered essential supplies.

It has only been in the last week or so that non-postal deliveries have resumed - at a restricted rate. So far, I have yet to receive any of my shaving stuff ordered from February or before.

I will be ordering no more until PhilPost has sorted itself out. Until then, I'll just wait for the 11 SR's, 14 sheets of lapping film and 3 sheets of balsa stuck in the system.

Last edited:

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
For me, the quarantine hadn’t really affected my lifestyle - I was living alone and avoiding crowds in the first place, just became a requirement instead of a choice when all this kicked off.

I’ve just received what will likely be my favourite razor, the one to end my RAD, and don’t really see myself spending much more money on shaving bits- maybe a soap here or there (famous last words). Also expecting a parcel from Simpson which will also likely end my BAD.

Grand total since the beginning of April is approximately £1,350.

Last edited:
Quarantine has piqued my curiosity on more of the shaving supplies but at the same time, it's stabilizing my interests. I'm down about tree fitty but thanks to GRUME, the month of MAY has been gracious to me. I've been getting great shaves with my CJB shavette and I'm leaning towards sticking to it. Also, my skin has be troublesome so I'm leaning towards milder scented/unscented soaps. That limits my purchases quite a bit and I'm kind of glad.

I'm participating the 2020 restraint, so I have not spent anything so far this year. I'm going stir crazy staying home all the time, but shaving about the same frequency as before all the mess hit us. It's surprising how long it takes to go through your supplies if you've been at this awhile.

So far: two zenith boars, two zenith manchurians, 2 tubs of MDC, one SV 70th, 6 tubs of A&E soap and 5 matching splashes, one eBay lot to include NOS old spice aftershave, and two Red & Black short combs. From Amazon, woody’s aftershave and edt, as well as one bottle of Imperial bergamot aftershave. - rough estimate of $550.

The worst of it was weeks 4-6... luckily, I’ve exercised better restraint for the last three weeks and haven’t ordered anything else, for myself that is... My nephew graduated high school so I got him a PAA starter set. It was a good deal and figured the marketing/branding might be more appealing to him and hopefully end up with this way of shaving remaining as part of his routine long term. Also he has bad skin and is not socially strong with the girls, figured this might be a good way for him to care for his skin and maybe help get that cleared up. At the very least get him in a habit of taking better care of himself.

Ugh... the shame... I've lost track but I'll give it a shot from here in Texas:

Two AC Kamisoris (cheap)
Yaqi razor
Shaper blades
Brass handle
Blackland Vector
Blackland Sabre
General V2 handle
300 Schick Proline blades
Soap Commander Devotion
Soap Commander Embark (shave and bar soap)
Soap Commander Commitment sample
RazoRock Hawk V3 Stainless with HD handle
Stainless Halo (separate)
Jaws 68 baseplate
RR nameless soap in jar
100 Astra SP
Occam's Razor with three plates
Kilo of Cella
Cella Sensitive (teal)
Cella Red
Vitos Aftershave Splash
Semogue 1438
Semogue 1305
Kolonia 1800 Natural
Dscosmetic synthetic brush
Phoenix Intergalactic Shatter Proof Travel Scuttle
Phoenix Peregrino synth brush
Barbershop No1 Purple EDT
Barber towels
TOBS Sandalwood
Tabac stick refill
Omega Syntex shaving brush

I'm sure there's more. I'm too tired to think.
In all, probably about $800+
She hasn't said anything yet... Yet.

Two AC Kamisoris (cheap)
Yaqi razor
Shaper blades
Brass handle
Blackland Vector
Blackland Sabre
General V2 handle
Soap Commander Devotion
Jaws 68 baseplate
RR nameless soap in jar
100 Astra SP
Kilo of Cella
Cella Sensitive (teal)
Cella Red
Vitos Aftershave Splash
Semogue 1438
Semogue 1305
Kolonia 1800 Natural
Barber towels
TOBS Sandalwood
Tabac stick refill

That's a whole year's... couple years of list. Hope you enjoy them all! I've been enjoying my kamisori shavette shaves and I hear those Prolines are the bomb.

Two AC Kamisoris (cheap)
Yaqi razor
Shaper blades
Brass handle
Blackland Vector
Blackland Sabre
General V2 handle
Soap Commander Devotion
Jaws 68 baseplate
RR nameless soap in jar
100 Astra SP
Kilo of Cella
Cella Sensitive (teal)
Cella Red
Vitos Aftershave Splash
Semogue 1438
Semogue 1305
Kolonia 1800 Natural
Barber towels
TOBS Sandalwood
Tabac stick refill

How long has it been since your last confession?
🙏

So far: two zenith boars, two zenith manchurians, 2 tubs of MDC, one SV 70th, 6 tubs of A&E soap and 5 matching splashes, one eBay lot to include NOS old spice aftershave, and two Red & Black short combs. From Amazon, woody’s aftershave and edt, as well as one bottle of Imperial bergamot aftershave. - rough estimate of $550.

The worst of it was weeks 4-6... luckily, I’ve exercised better restraint for the last three weeks and haven’t ordered anything else, for myself that is... My nephew graduated high school so I got him a PAA starter set. It was a good deal and figured the marketing/branding might be more appealing to him and hopefully end up with this way of shaving remaining as part of his routine long term. Also he has bad skin and is not socially strong with the girls, figured this might be a good way for him to care for his skin and maybe help get that cleared up. At the very least get him in a habit of taking better care of himself.
Wow, sounds like you've got a lot to confess, there!
🙏

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have been pretty good I think. I have bought, all on the Bay:

90 Lord Platinum blades
Vintage Faberge Brut EDT
Avon Wild Country Cologne
Simpson Colonel X2L Synthetic brush
English Gillette Goodwill
Vintage Goya Cedarwood shaving soap
Shulton Mandate Cologne
Avon Wild Spice Cologne
Avon Spicy Cologne
Avon Oland A/S
Avon Windjammer Cologne
Plus - a Rotbart single ring on the way. 😁

But, I sold a Fatboy, a Slim, a cased English Rocket HD500, and a Velvet DE in Bay auction. I am actually slightly ahead since the Fatboy and Slim are so absurdly overpriced at the moment 👍

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
@EclipseRedRing, are you stocking up on the colognes, or just trying them out? That’s a fair number of them in there!
Well, I have a particular fondness for vintage Faberge Brut, plus I also love Avon and am trying to get all my favourites in cologne form, in the original plain non-novelty bottle styles. My current collection of aftershaves, EDT, and colognes, comes to about 50. Here is a part of my Brut collection:

Brut.jpg

I live in Sweden, so no quarantine for me. But I have been working from home, and then it is easy to open a certain inspiring website in another browser... So yes, there have been some purchases. But not so much.

3 razor heads from Yaqi: Knight's Helmet, Beast, and Mellon (SLOC)
Tabac shave stick
30 Schick Proline blades
Gillette RFB
Nõberu synthetic brush
Cremo shave cream
1924 Everready
A strop for a Valet Auto-Strop
Gillette blade bank
Parker SRX shavette
100 Lord Super Stainless half blades
200 Perma-Sharp half blades (and them I got really cheap)
Floid AS, moderna y masculina

And a bottle each of of Davidoff Cool Water and Bulgari Wood Neroli, if we are to include fragrances.

Or, oh dear. That was quite a haul. :w00t:

Wow, sounds like you've got a lot to confess, there!
🙏
Not too much to confess. Thankfully we had our anniversary recently and I specifically stated there was no need to get me a gift. She know about all that was ordered and has arrived, this unfortunately excludes the two zenith manchurians, MDC soaps and the SV 70th. But she doesn’t know how much they cost and will likely blend into my existing stockpile without being noticed.

we bought her a bicycle and all the gear during this period and have had to make a couple additional clothing and gear purchases for her so that also helps divert focus from my guilty pleasure.

Top Bottom