What's new

2018 Shave Purchase Sabbatical , Snoopy versus The Red Baron

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm in..
2018 Shave Purchase Sabbatical Gentlemanly Restraint participants
1. Azwetshaver-- undecided on exception, thinking of going cold turkey "no exception"
2. draconicsonic — exception for gifts received
3. skibik - at this point I think for me there are no exceptions
4. kevdogg329 - blades
5. Misunderstood-undecided on exception, thinking of going cold turkey "no exception"
6. martym-no exception
7. bobmsp - undecided on exception
8. AlphaFrank75 - No Exceptions
9. ByDoms - No Exceptions
10. KQY61 - No Exception
11.Sabin - No Exceptions
Check up a few posts for a more current list

I'm in.

1. Azwetshaver-- undecided on exception, thinking of going cold turkey "no exception"
4. kevdogg329 - blades
5. Misunderstood-undecided on exception, thinking of going cold turkey "no exception"
6. martym-no exception
10. KQY61 - No Exception
11. Spookmeister - No Exceptions
12. emwolf - Witch Hazel (I've got enough to last until the Spring).
13. mtnredhed - Witch Hazel as my wife raids my supply.
14. elswood - No Exceptions
15. Peter's coin - No Exceptions <---(this is your punishment for not replying correctly. :001_tt2:)
16. Kokak - No Exceptions
17 Ruckin - pre-shave
18 BigJ-AS exception
19 Nwohio - no exceptions
20 Merle - 1 'wildcard'

Hi,

On the exceptions, it has to be for one thing, and it has to be specific. If it is for a supply item, you'd be better off buying all you'll need for a year now (or during the restock week for those making it thru this year).

Stan

I'm in, I have way too much stuff already and don't need any more! Exemption is that I will probably make some more shaving soap during the year, I'm still working on getting the formula exactly correct, and much of my original stuff is going rancid.

4. kevdogg329 - blades
6. martym-no exception
10. KQY61 - No Exception
15. Peter's coin - No Exceptions <---(this is your punishment for not replying correctly. :001_tt2:)
17 Ruckin - pre-shave
18 BigJ-AS exception
20 Merle - 1 'wildcard'
21 psfred - home made shaving soap

So I already said I was in but put my exception for gifts. Is that somehow not ok? I mean people in my family know I like this kind of stuff and I put that anticipating that I would end up receiving some grooming products at the holidays next year. Just want a little clarification.

Hi,

On the exceptions, it has to be for one thing, and it has to be specific. If it is for a supply item, you'd be better off buying all you'll need for a year now (or during the restock week for those making it thru this year).

Stan
While I appreciate your statement of the rules as they have been observed; I still retain the right to claim i need one 'wild card' or, As I have learned the one and only time I last tried to walk this journey I shall fail and shouldn't even bother.
The reason I qualify my participation just so is because I seek the support of brotherhood going through the year of dark woods together and I could not make it on my own. I've observed I am particularly susceptible to Soap, Aftershave, Perfum(e), Razor, Hair Trimming, Blade, Bowl, Scuttle, and STANDS acquisition disorders. Turn me away as you will. I'd thought (hoped) this was the next best thing to a Twelve Step Program.

Last, if you knew my inventory, you'd also say there's absolutely nothing I'd need over the next year(longer, frankly). I'm saying I don't need anything, but I need help staying the journey, I need Samwise Gamgee!

(oh, and I don't include toilet paper, baby wipes, Japanese cotton fiber squares, or other cosmetic wipes; these are multifunctional and required on demand by SWMBO.)

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
So I already said I was in but put my exception for gifts. Is that somehow not ok? I mean people in my family know I like this kind of stuff and I put that anticipating that I would end up receiving some grooming products at the holidays next year. Just want a little clarification.
I think here's how we handled gifts in the past...
If it is unsolicited, it's okay. If folks ask you what you would like, that's where it gets sticky. I would say "Thanks but I'm trying to reduce what I have this year."

In the end, I would suggest that you use your judgement. There is no prize at the end for Sabbatical survivors beyond knowing that you went a year without a purchase.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
While I appreciate your statement of the rules as they have been observed; I still retain the right to claim i need one 'wild card' or As, I have learned the one and only time I last tried to walk this journey I shall fail and shouldn't even bother.
Exceptions need to be specific. It's always been that way. You can always play the home version if you want to run under a different set of rules.

I think here's how we handled gifts in the past...
If it is unsolicited, it's okay. If folks ask you what you would like, that's where it gets sticky. I would say "Thanks but I'm trying to reduce what I have this year."

In the end, I would suggest that you use your judgement. There is no prize at the end for Sabbatical survivors beyond knowing that you went a year without a purchase.

Right. Well I'm comfortable with allowing for potential unsolicited gifts. I just won't drop hints or make purchases.

Then, good journey, I suppose the taste will be all the sweeter and my success will be truly my own.
Faire thee well.
I resign.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
@Merle pick your one exception that you think you will run out of, or have that irresistible urge to buy. We'll be here to help you get through all those other temptations.

I failed in 2011/12/13 and 2014 before I was successful in 2015. I failed again last year, but seem to be going to succeed again this year. Even with failing, it's good to try to see if you can hold out longer that the previous years.

Hi,

Please, do play along with us From Home and let us know how your year-long journey goes, including whatever you pick up as a Wildcard.

Stan

Hi,

Resetting the list.

4. kevdogg329 - blades
6. martym-no exception
10. KQY61 - No Exception
17 Ruckin - pre-shave
18 BigJ-AS exception
20 psfred - home made shaving soap

Stan

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If you guys are good with me running the Sabbatical again (did so in 2016 ... The Year of the Looney Tunes) , I will offer my services and come up with a theme.

Anyone besides @kevdogg329 willing to step up and provide assistance in the event I get stricken with "Lotto Winner" disease? :euro:

Contemplating this ... I've been on a wicked soap/AS set bender as of late, and could use a year of no purchases to get a dent in some of this stuff ... will think on it more :)

My previous attempts at this have been unsuccessful. 2018 will be different. Count me in.
4. kevdogg329 - blades
6. martym-no exception
10. KQY61 - No Exception
17 Ruckin - pre-shave
18 BigJ-AS exception
20 psfred - home made shaving soap
21. Laird - No Exceptions

Last edited:
Always willing have you lead this wacky bunch. @rockviper Still need a theme for this coming year

Also the poster of the thread is a leader whether they want to be or not since they started the thread decrees the Darth Lord

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom