What's new

2017 - Year of the Cream

Are you guys planning a 2018 cream only four. Having sub par lathering skills I’m thinking of trying out some creams. I have Simpsons Rose and it killed my skin. I’ve also got the Citrus but have yet to try it out. I have sensitive skin so I’m thinking T&H Ultimate Comfort. Any other recommendations?
My most skin nourishing cream is probably TOBS Aloe Vera.
No scent to drive allergy problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

After a year of MW and a year of cream, I think next year is using up stuff.
Unless a theme comes to me between now and New Years Day :)

Stick with sticks for a bit?
I still haven't decided if I'm going to switch to soaps, add a couple, or just stick with creams. I can't imagine soaps giving me as great a lather as the SJoL did this morning, and I'm not sure I want to quit using AoS's creams. So, soaps only for a bit is unlikely.

I’m only moving to the hard soaps because I will have used up all of the soft soaps and creams in the den....which was no mean feat.

Wholly Kaw, King of Oud will be my first soap in a year. Merry Christmas, happy holidays, etc.
Thanks for this year, it was well spent using creams.

Twas a good year. I think I used a soap twice and shampoo in the shower a handful of times. It was an interesting experiment.

My order of preference remains roughly the same as when I started with a few additions.
Tier 1 - AoS Lavender and Castle Forbes Lime. Both near foolproof lathers, though much prefer scent of CF. AoS gets a little earthy for me if I use it too often.
Tier 1a - TOBS Grapefruit and Aloe Vera.
Coates creams. Only a slight demotion due to slightly smaller window of latherability. TOBS wins for price to quality ratio.
Tier 2 - DRH Arlington. Too expensive for no improvement over TOBS. Similar lather window. Trumpers goes here too. TOBS has it over these too for scent also.
Tier 2A. Nivea Sensitive. Best of the more mainstream creams.
Kiss My Face. Real easy cream, great feel.
La Toja, good but boring.
Rest - Arko Cream, Derby Cream, Proraso, Palmolive Refrescante, Godrej.
Best left alone - Ingram. Only cream I've ever thrown. Indian Palmolive and Old Spice - both scents horrible to me, both skin drying.

Cream I think is good but not for me - Stone Cottage. The texture of the creams is too weird and sticky for face lathering. Would probably work well in a bowl, but I don't bowl. Best scents I found.

Latherless creams - Kiehl's and Anthony's. Latter rinses more cleanly from razors and is preferable for that. Both are surprisingly good.

I learned a lot about how easy each is to lather, what size window cream to water. I learned some creams can look good but can easily have a lather that breaks down under pressure.
Creams can be equals of soaps, if you know how to extract the best from each.

That said, first two shaves this year were Mystic Water Bay Rum. Still unequaled for me in terms of scent, shave and post shave feel.

Thanks to those playing along, with special thanks to lmarkow and beginish, here from start to end. Cheers and Happy New Year to all!

Thanks for organizing this, Tony. I thoroughly enjoyed doing it and needed some reminding about how good creams are. I’m going to thin out the herd of hard soaps and will be picking up more creams when the time is right.

I'm going to.... whittle down all the creams I overbought last year and the MW I overbought the year before, and the sale MW I bought last year and the 2 soaps I got in Bingle Buddy that I didn't get to use all year, and the box of Arko I bought 3 years ago and.....

Good thing I'm sabaticalling this year.
It might be time for me to hit the 3017 thread again.

This thread, together with AoS, had me using nothing but creams all year. Now I'm trying a couple of the current B&B fanboy soaps, and I'm finding them to be just that. Creams rock. Thanks for the thread, @Haggises.

Top Bottom