What's new

2017 - Year of the Cream

GFT is finished! Will not buy again. It's a good cream, but I prefer more scent, and $$/ounce ain't worth the premium.

Coates Lavender is finished! It's a great cream, even if scent is mostly gone. Will put the other Coates tubes to the side while I try to work on others.

Castle Forbes Lime remains top notch.
Anthony's brushless continues to be good when a quick touch up shave is needed.

Thinking of trying Ingram's for a week to see if I can figure it out.

The Cella is just about done, thankfully. It's weird. All of the lathers seem good, rich and slick, but it's rare for me to get through the shave without a nick.

Ingrams got 3 more tries, all substandard. It hit the trash.
Arko and Derby creams are better.
Refound my old Nivea Sensitive cream, best mainstream shaving cream by far.

Taking a break for a while. See yas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Interesting, @Haggises , whereas the Tabac tube didn't make it through 3 shaves before it hit the bin, Ingram is still sitting in the vanity, mostly unused. It's not anywhere near a top tier cream, but it survived here.

Is La Toja's big red tube a "mainstream cream"?

Interesting, @Haggises , whereas the Tabac tube didn't make it through 3 shaves before it hit the bin, Ingram is still sitting in the vanity, mostly unused. It's not anywhere near a top tier cream, but it survived here.

Is La Toja's big red tube a "mainstream cream"?
If you're in Spain, yes. :)
Nivea Sensitive beats Proraso and La Toja for me.

It occurred to me the other day that using creams for the entire year may be the first wet shaving "challenge" I successfully keep. Not that this has been much of a hardship, given the great creams you guys schooled me on.

Other than one shave with MW to see if it was still fantastic, Ive been true to the cream.
I think this might be my most consistent BnB test too.

When I first joined this place, I did the typical acquisition spree that so many of us do. I'd sign up for the sabbaticals, and always fail miserably. I've been one of the original 3017 guys since the beginning, and that didn't even curb the acquisitions....at least at first. I want to say about 3 years ago, it just stopped, and I settled into using what I had. The only purchases I made were in the auctions (except one moment of weakness at Pasteurs when I got a puck of Musgo Real soap). Now I just don't do it. Heck, I was in Pickwick Pharmacy here in Philly about 2 weeks ago (Tony, you have to see this place now, they've significantly expanded the shaving stocks), and walked out of there with nothing.

I must be getting old.

The Simpson cream in Caffe Latte scent arrived from @QBrothers. It smells great, and having used the unscented version several years ago, I’m looking forward to the performance. I just finished a 50 g sample of Vito’s Extra Super from @bythbook, and I put it in my top tier of soaps. I will be using three small samples of The Gentleman’s Quarter soaps (Tambotti Wood, Highlander and Sandalwood & Vanilla) before moving on to Simpson.

Nivea Sensitive has been holding fort the past couple of weeks but it's almost dead. If it had a scent it would be be one of my top creams, but then it probably wouldn't be Sensitive.

I revisited some "vanity" creams yesterday and today. These are creams that have been relegated to the vanity, rather than sit out with the stuff I use more frequently. La Toja brt and GFT Spanish leather each made valid bids see a bit more daylight.

• Taylor of Old Bond Street - Mr. Taylors
  • Truefitt & Hill - Grafton
  • Acca Kappa 1869 Almond Shaving Soap
The Acca Kappa 1869 says it's soap, but it actually is cream. They also sell a real soap. See pictures. Thats what you want
proxy.php

proxy.php

I have begun to contemplate my first soap, next year. Any suggestions? Or should I just keep this cream groove going?

I just took a look at what I have on hand for soaps, and it's not much. I don't recall pitching stuff before I got on this cream kick, but perhaps the soaps were boxed and then put away somewhere?

I've never tried Mystic Water, so that will be on the list. Thanks.

I finished my tin of Saint Charles Shave Refined (+ menthol :eek:) over the weekend, and decided to go with my tub of Mystic Water Tea Tree & Blue Gum soap. I won this as part of the Saint Sue Auction a few years ago (thanks @Haggises!). The postshave feel from Mystic Water is really outstanding, and I think only MWF truly rivals it, and even though it has some Blue Gum eucalyptus in it, the cooling is not oppressive, even here on a cold December day. My first shave this morning with it did not disappoint, especially with a new Personna Lab Blue in the Slim with 3 days of growth to mow through.

Doing the 3017 thing, I need to plan and have the next to look forward to, so even with a month and a half of great shaves with MW in store, I have the next two worked out: Simpson Caffé Latte cream to be followed by a NIB Martin de Candre Fougère. That should get me through next June.

Glad to spread the MW joy Bob :)

Been real lazy recently, but decided to finish off the TOBS Grapefruit before year end. Probably my favorite cream so far.

Are you guys planning a 2018 cream only four. Having sub par lathering skills I’m thinking of trying out some creams. I have Simpsons Rose and it killed my skin. I’ve also got the Citrus but have yet to try it out. I have sensitive skin so I’m thinking T&H Ultimate Comfort. Any other recommendations?

Top Bottom