What's new

2017 - Year of the Cream

I've finished my tub of Mystic Waters Brown Windsor.....great stuff....and will be moving on to The Gentleman's Quarter Oak and Moss.

Still going strong on creams and still enjoying them.
Just not plowing through as fast as I thought.

Rough order of niceness.

Castle Forbes Lime
AoS Lavender

Coates (for the lather, the scent mostly gone)

DRH, Trumpers, TOBS - all around the same lather. TOBS Grapefruit wins on scent.

Derby Lemon, Arko, Nivea Sensitive, Proraso - not sure I see much difference. Nivea might be slightly better than other.

Stone cottage - maybe too low, but I just don't like the stickiness of the cream

Palmolive Refrescante - this was disappointing, will try again to see what I did wrong. Reminded me too much of Palmolive stick.

I've said before, and will say it again, creams really get short shrift around here for no good reason. I understand the appeal of soaps, how they harken back to an older time and are more traditional, but man, if you stick just to soaps, you miss out on some great lathering and fantastic stronger scents. Given the choice, I would select the Penhaligon's cream over soap any day....and their soaps are pretty darned good.

My first couple of shaves with The Gentleman's Quarter Oak & Moss have been very good. This artisan soap is an easier lather than MW and the scent is good, but the postshave feel is not even close to what you get with MW. I think @Haggises has had a similar experience comparing MW to other artisans as well.

Still haven't found anything better than MW for post shave feel.
Yes, maybe it takes a little practice to dial in, but once you get it, the lathers are superb.

After only two (!) weeks, my puck of The Gentleman's Quarter Oak & Moss is just about finished. I did not intentionally kill it, but it seems my lathering technique with soft soaps is bad for their health. The lathers have been great (and the scent is fantastic as well), but it seems that I'll be moving on to my little-used red tub of Cella before the end of next week.

Took DRH Arlington and some SCS Hesperides with me on vacation.
Then bought Ingrams while on vacation.
Don't like Ingrams much. DRH is good, SCS is great if use enough product.
Not feeling tempted to buy French.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
but man, if you stick just to soaps, you miss out on some great lathering and fantastic stronger scents.
I have been using Valobra Shave Stick every day for over a year, but last night I decided to order a tub of Castle Forbes Lime from West Coast Shaving. I have tried their sandalwood and lavender and really liked them both, but it seems like guys here have a strong preference for the lime so I couldn't resist. I think I will give the straight razor and honing AD's a rest and revisit creams and soaps.

I've never used a Vetiver, believe it or not. I hear that Salter's is a very true version, and not for the faint of heart, given how polarizing the scent can be.

Took DRH Arlington and some SCS Hesperides with me on vacation.
Then bought Ingrams while on vacation.
Don't like Ingrams much. DRH is good, SCS is great if use enough product.
Not feeling tempted to buy French.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What didn't you like about the Ingrams? I've had pretty good performance from it, so I was just curious.

I'll try again with home water, but it seemed less good than other cheapies like Proraso or Nivea Sensitive. Weak lather that broke down too easily. Could well be a call for.....more product!

I'll try again with home water, but it seemed less good than other cheapies like Proraso or Nivea Sensitive. Weak lather that broke down too easily. Could well be a call for.....more product!

That's funny, I think that's the first thing I learned when I joined B&B, "Use more product!"

Ingram has quite the menthol kick that I enjoy quite a bit. The chill kept building with each splash of cold water between passes and right up to the final cold rinse. It's fairly cheap, so at least you're not out much if it just doesn't measure up for you. Good luck, @Haggises!

David

last night I decided to order a tub of Castle Forbes Lime from West Coast Shaving
The CF lime arrived last week. I've shaved with it a few times and love it so far. I'm not in love with the scent but its a super performer. Now I'm off to find the next cream that I cant live without!

David

I have only tried the CF lavender, which is an incredibly accurate lavender. I'm curious about the lime. What put you off?
Larry I'd be happy to send you a sample. I use a popsicle stick to dip the cream out so its like brand new.
To my nose it just has a faint household type cleaner scent to it. It's not bad, and I plan on using it until its gone, but like I said I'm just not in love with it.

Top Bottom