What's new

2015 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Fall GRU Fall (GRU-Fall)

Checking in and still in.

Today I had my first go at Caties Bubbles (WOW)

SOTD:

Merkur 37c
Personna (2)
Caties Bubbles LPV (in Capt. Choice Bowl)
Vulfix Badger
I didn't order the the aftershave to go with the LPV back on the 1st when I was able to purchase big mistake... I love the scent but I figured that Stirling Barbershop AS and Balm would go well with it and it did.

Today I have to go to court, about 2 months back someone hit us in our car, and he is fighting his ticket so I need to go to court today as a witness. I am rocking a suit today and a great shave I feel like a million bucks

So... does a dopp kit count as going out, since it's a general travel tool even though it will have shave gear in there (along with meds and shampoo, etc)? I am thinking about a new one by Labor Day.
You asked.......

Read my signature for my thoughts

You asked.......

Read my signature for my thoughts -

Darth Kevdogg - If you have to ask, you should not being doing it

This is my feeling as well. If the item has any intent for shaving than it should not be purchased, or will render you out - sorry.

While I'm not in this Restraint, I'm with you in spirit. And I'm figuring that if you're in the GRU Fall, you likely:

(a) have plenty of stuff to see you through; and
(b) will be jonesing for new goodies soon enough!

So, I'm inviting you all to participate in my Two-Pass Passaround, which will give you two chances to get good stuff over the next few months without breaking your Restraint. $shh.gif

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/459865-The-Two-Pass-(CONUS)-Passaround-Box

I promise that the box will be seeded with all kinds of goodies, including imports from Italy and non-shaving items, too.

If you don't care to join, I'll just wish you luck here and likely see you in a future MoRO. Cheers! $cheers.gif

Still in and holding strong. Between some of my pre-restraint items coming in and a generous sample of the Captain's After Shave Balm I will be trying new items for a few weeks.

SOTD
55 Red Tip SuperSpeed
7 O'Clock Permasharp(3)
RazoRock Tobacco#1
Captain's Choice ASB
RazoRock Synthetic Brush

Let us know how those two are. I have an omega s brush and a hi brush and I love them.

The RazoRock Synthetic is my second synthetic after the TGN Synthetic. The TGN is ok as a travel brush. However it doesn't have much splay, it is a little too springy and I prefer a little more lather capacity (lack of better term). I have only had one shave with the RazoRock Synthetic...however, I really like it so far. Really soft, a little bit of splay, good lather retention, overall a really enjoyable brush. I hear the WD is even better. If it is I might start gravitating towards synthetics more and more.
$20150709_061441.jpg

Still in and holding strong. Between some of my pre-restraint items coming in and a generous sample of the Captain's After Shave Balm I will be trying new items for a few weeks.

SOTD
55 Red Tip SuperSpeed
7 O'Clock Permasharp(3)
RazoRock Tobacco#1
Captain's Choice ASB
RazoRock Synthetic Brush

The RazoRock Synthetic is my second synthetic after the TGN Synthetic. The TGN is ok as a travel brush. However it doesn't have much splay, it is a little too springy and I prefer a little more lather capacity (lack of better term). I have only had one shave with the RazoRock Synthetic...however, I really like it so far. Really soft, a little bit of splay, good lather retention, overall a really enjoyable brush. I hear the WD is even better. If it is I might start gravitating towards synthetics more and more.
View attachment 585398

I find myself only using my synthetics lately.... which is sad, because I have alot of other brushes. But when I tell myself no shave today and change my mind, the synthetic is ready to go in 10 seconds.... lol
plus once you get the hang of synthetics, well I can't explain it... I just like them... seems my boars and badgers hold alot of the lather and withe my synthetics I can use a lot less product. .. at least that's how it seems to me...

A really nice SOTD today!!

I like Cold River Soap Works almost as much as I love Stone Cottage Soap Works and since getting my 2 Vie-Long horse hair brushes I've not gone back to any of my other brushes. I have't tried synthetics yet - maybe I will after the restraint. The Vie-Long's are so nice, I just don't think I need anything else for some time to come ;-)

Feather AS-D2 w/ Feather Hi Stainless
Cold River Soap Works Citrus
Vie-Long Horse Hair Brush
Pinaud Lime Sec

$2015-07-09 at 00-00-00.jpg

#9 Vespasian still in, with no jones-ing at all; I have been buying a few espresso accessories, which takes the pain away.

Wonderful midnight shave. I stick with the same hardware:
--Fatboy set at 7
--vintage silvertip brush
--Gillette Silver Blue

Software bounces between four groups:
--one of my many, many rose soaps and creams
--ditto almond
--St. Charles Shave Neroli, AS Splash
--or, like tonight, the whole Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamotto-Neroli group

Lots of 4711 cologne, lots of Geo. F. Trumper Coral Skin Food.

Well one f my converts from work came to me today and wanted to step it up to a next level razor from his weishi, so I ordered an EJ Kelvin from Amazon.com for him.
still in as this purchase was for another. :)

#22 still in. Got in a nice shave last night after returning from another camping trip. Not looking at any shave stuff now, and need to replace our crappy 14 year old grill. Thinking I may spring for a Weber since my Dad has one that is going on around 30 years now, so the price tag seems steep, but it should last. However, nothing is made as well as it was in the past so we'll see.

#30, still in ... just went and got a haircut, then came home for a hot shower and a shave for date night tonight. We got a nice gift card to Hinterland brewery and restaurant for our wedding and we're going there tonight, they have a special menu for Green Bay Restaurant Week this week.

SOTD:
Wolf Whiskers custom boar
Gillette New SC
Voskhod (2)
Mickey Lee Soapworks Pantie Dropper
Thayer's Supermedicated
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man A/S

I didn't think to check the level of my SDM A/S before the restraint, but I think I'll make it through. It's the Mrs' favorite, so I don't use much else these days. Another one pass shave and my face feels amazing. I think I've really hit upon a combo of items that really work well for me.

I'm still in! Didn't have a shave today but yesterday I used B&M Leviathan instead of my Palmolive. It was good but not the performance I usually get. I think I over watered it. I'm not worried since I will eventually dial it in as a 3017. I keep tempting fate looking for a new soap bowl at stores but haven't found anything good enough to sway me.

Sotd:
MR1 w/ GSB (stuck on this razor... lost count of shaves on last blade lol, so I changed it)
Caties Bubbles fouet l'Orange
omega s brush
Shea moisture AS tonic X2 (love this stuff!!!)
Adidas Dynamic AS
Adidas Dynamic cologne

Hope you gents are having a great day!!

I'm still in! Didn't have a shave today but yesterday I used B&M Leviathan instead of my Palmolive. It was good but not the performance I usually get. I think I over watered it. I'm not worried since I will eventually dial it in as a 3017. I keep tempting fate looking for a new soap bowl at stores but haven't found anything good enough to sway me.

If that Leviathan doesn't work out for ya let me know ... ;)

Just out of curiosity guys, what is on your list to purchase once you get through?

Probably a different soap or two because I haven't been very adventurous with soaps since I started wet shaving 6-7 years ago.

Razors have always been my weakness, but I think I may be done acquiring more with one possible exception. I am so content with what I already have and I have a hard enough time working the dozen or so razors I own into my rotation.

Just out of curiosity guys, what is on your list to purchase once you get through?
#11 still in. Thoughts of things but no real temptations.

I don't have any purchases planned after this. I may actually try to do the next quarterly back to back.

If anything I might bulk purchase some Astras, they just plain work for me in the one razor that I tend to use for almost all my shaves.

Top Bottom