What's new

2015-16 English Premier League/Champion's League

That's been my problem with Spurs too over the years....talk, talk, talk. Ever since Harry Redknapp was there, they've been talking about how this is their year, etc. etc. They were supposed to use the Gareth Bale money to challenge for the title...did that happen? No. This year, they're going to set a new points record (I think their record is 73? 75?) and they have done a great job with a corps of young players, but I really do have a problem with how some of their fans have responded to the whole Leicester thing. It's almost the definition of sour grapes. To his credit, the chairman of their Supporters Group was fulsome in praise of Leicester, but even his remarks were full of "Our own fairytale is being eclipsed," and "No one is paying attention to us and what we're doing."

And If you read comment sections on blogs and news sites, you see some Spurs fans that are saying "Look, we've done great this year, but well done Leicester," but more and more each week are saying stuff like "We've been the best team in England by far!" "They have a weak team!" "This is a fluke year...we're actually the best!" "They have a billionaire owner, you know. They're not REALLY a small team." (Despite Leicester performing better with a squad that cost 1/3 the amount of Spurs' squad)

No. No, they're not the best. The form table does not lie, and if it hadn't been for Mahrez missing 2 penalties in January, this lead would be 12 points instead of 8 right now, and 23 points instead of 19 over the last calendar year. That says it all, really. It's arrogance and delusions of grandeur. They have always been in the top 6 or 7...this season of theirs is great, but not a "fairytale."

Spurs could yet win the title. If Leicester somehow slips up in these final 3 games, and Spurs win all theirs, and it would be well done to them if they do manage to win all 4 to close out the year. But if they do lose the title to Leicester, I hope the more vocal fans that have been saying they're the "REAL best team" just sit down and shut up. Getting automatic qualification for the Champions League and finishing above Arsenal for the first time in 20 years should be enough in that case, right?

Vardy's red card will absolutely cost them, and he was an idiot to dive like that. Even if he doesn't score, his very presence on the pitch puts defenders in knots. Ulljoa just doesn't offer the same thing. Leicester NEED to win against Swansea, because West Brom aren't going to do them any favors against Spurs. Spurs will win that game. If Leicester draw or lose, I fear the fairytale is over.

If they win, then Spurs are probably going to drop points against Chelsea, and Leicester can afford to drop points at Man Utd. Chelsea will be up for that game, and I have a feeling Pochettino will be punching the ground again after it.

With respect to the bolded portion . . . OOPS.

It's NEVER been just Vardy. The best TEAM is going to win the title this year.

Here we go...down to the final 3 games. Spurs to play tomorrow, and should easily win against West Brom. I'd be really surprised if they drew or lost. West Brom can frustrate teams but don't have many weapons. Then it's the final stretch.

Harry Kane posting pictures of lions "hunting" on Instagram? Leicester doesn't care. No Vardy, no problem. 4-0 against Swansea today, and it was an absolute stroll. If I were Pochettino (and I imagine he's already said this to the players), I'd tell them to cut out the banter and keep focused. They might believe they've been the best team in England this year, and some vocal Spurs fans I've seen online obviously believe it, but they haven't looked at (or are completely ignoring) the form table over the last year. They're behind...and behind a team that refuses to lose and do them any favors. They've got work to do. This isn't the 1996 season where Newcastle blew up and let a 12-point lead slip. Leicester is going to fight all the way to the end.

The next 3 weeks will be extremely interesting.

I think the top 4 is sewn up. This season has to be disappointing for Arsenal. They'll get the Champion's League again, but this year should've been them strolling to the title. I know it's frustrating for Arsenal fans, but it could be much worse. To those who want "Wenger out," I see their point, but look at Man Utd after Fergie. Arsenal has to wait until a top quality coach becomes available to fill the power vacuum that Wenger leaves, or it all could unravel. I don't think they'd drop down the table like a stone, but Man Utd should be a cautionary tale for them.

If the title race doesn't go down to the final day, the relegation fight will be riveting to watch. It could literally go anywhere, they're so close at the bottom, and so far away from Crystal Palace in the safety zone.

As a loyal soldier in the Toon Army, I could have done without the reference to 1996. however apt. Please leave me to wallow in relegation misery alone . . . please.

As a loyal soldier in the Toon Army, I could have done without the reference to 1996. however apt. Please leave me to wallow in relegation misery alone . . . please.
Benitez will get you out of there. He's a good coach. Mastermind of Istanbul, won La Liga with Valencia...he'll do it. Don't worry.

And yeah, I was wrong about Ulljoa. With my own team wallowing in midtable obscurity in the Championship, for the first time in years I'm actively involved in a title race, and every game now is agony. So my natural "downplaying" and pessimism comes out.

This is great. Simple as that.

Some may recall that earlier this season I was debating which was going to be "my" team. I picked Liverpool, and they've had a decent year in spite of the issues they had early on. That said, I've come to the conclusion that you just can't pick a team and root for them, especially when you barely know the league. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this year, no matter what the game, choosing to root for whomever I felt like (Sunderland today). So I'm going back to being a generic fan, and will allow my loyalties to develop naturally.

With respect, I must disagree. My in-laws are from Coventry, so I follow the Sky-Blues, but they were not in the Premiership when I started watching it. I chose Newcastle United as my team, in 1995, as they were not an "obvious" choice to support, and they looked to be a Club on the verge of something big. Little did I know that the only "big accomplishment was the one we will not speak of in 96. But they are "my" team these last 20+ years, through relegation and promotion, and through the curse that is Mike Ashley.
I pray that Rafa can keep us up, but I also feel that the Manager's job is a poisoned chalice. Look at Pardew, and what happened to him. Rafa, even if he DOES succeed this year, will not be given the tools to allow him to have the club challenging for European Football, and thus he will depart at some point, too.

This is great. Simple as that.

Some may recall that earlier this season I was debating which was going to be "my" team. I picked Liverpool, and they've had a decent year in spite of the issues they had early on. That said, I've come to the conclusion that you just can't pick a team and root for them, especially when you barely know the league. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this year, no matter what the game, choosing to root for whomever I felt like (Sunderland today). So I'm going back to being a generic fan, and will allow my loyalties to develop naturally.
What you are witnessing this year is something truly special, so savor it. I don't know if it will surpass the final-day drama of 2012 when City won the League by scoring 2 stoppage time goals to steal it out from Man Utd's grasp, but it is special. I've been watching this league since 1998/99, and I've only ever seen the "usual suspects" win it. Man Utd (of course), Arsenal, Chelsea post-Roman, and of course City post-riches. I so desperately want Leicester to win this year it's unreal. This is magical stuff.

As for me, I "just picked" my team. 98-99 was Man Utd's famous Treble year, so I didn't want to follow everyone's favorite, fancied team. So I picked the team that was 3rd in the table at the time I started watching....Leeds United. I picked them because I liked their uniforms, and they WEREN'T Manchester United.

So over the years I experienced Leeds' infamous fall from grace, after swashbuckling through the Champion's League back when it was harder to win, and suffering 2 relegations because of financial mismanagement. And now we're living through the nightmare of the Worst Owner in the History of the World(tm). And I was there through two playoff final defeats in failed attempts to return to the Premier League, and the indignity of having to start a season -15 points in the hole (which we duly obliterated and ended up being promoted afterwards).

Ten years in the lower leagues is hard, so if you want to enjoy the premier League, you have to pick a team to follow, even if you don't count yourself as a "fan" per se. So for the past several years, I've followed the fortunes of Arsenal, with one eye on the Championship and Leeds. But this year, it's been a JOY to be on the Leicester bandwagon. Even if Kasper Schmeichel used to be OUR keeper!!!!

I know that Higuain is having a great season but, I've never been a big fan of his. I'd like to see the money spent on someone more consistent on both sides of the ball. Big game today for 2nd place. My fingers a crossed.

With respect, I must disagree. My in-laws are from Coventry, so I follow the Sky-Blues, but they were not in the Premiership when I started watching it. I chose Newcastle United as my team, in 1995, as they were not an "obvious" choice to support, and they looked to be a Club on the verge of something big. Little did I know that the only "big accomplishment was the one we will not speak of in 96. But they are "my" team these last 20+ years, through relegation and promotion, and through the curse that is Mike Ashley.
I pray that Rafa can keep us up, but I also feel that the Manager's job is a poisoned chalice. Look at Pardew, and what happened to him. Rafa, even if he DOES succeed this year, will not be given the tools to allow him to have the club challenging for European Football, and thus he will depart at some point, too.

My in laws are from New York, and no self-respecting, battery-throwing Philadelphian would be caught dead rooting for one of them (though I confess to being a Yankee fan while I lived there).

What you are witnessing this year is something truly special, so savor it. I don't know if it will surpass the final-day drama of 2012 when City won the League by scoring 2 stoppage time goals to steal it out from Man Utd's grasp, but it is special. I've been watching this league since 1998/99, and I've only ever seen the "usual suspects" win it. Man Utd (of course), Arsenal, Chelsea post-Roman, and of course City post-riches. I so desperately want Leicester to win this year it's unreal. This is magical stuff.

As for me, I "just picked" my team. 98-99 was Man Utd's famous Treble year, so I didn't want to follow everyone's favorite, fancied team. So I picked the team that was 3rd in the table at the time I started watching....Leeds United. I picked them because I liked their uniforms, and they WEREN'T Manchester United.

So over the years I experienced Leeds' infamous fall from grace, after swashbuckling through the Champion's League back when it was harder to win, and suffering 2 relegations because of financial mismanagement. And now we're living through the nightmare of the Worst Owner in the History of the World(tm). And I was there through two playoff final defeats in failed attempts to return to the Premier League, and the indignity of having to start a season -15 points in the hole (which we duly obliterated and ended up being promoted afterwards).

Ten years in the lower leagues is hard, so if you want to enjoy the premier League, you have to pick a team to follow, even if you don't count yourself as a "fan" per se. So for the past several years, I've followed the fortunes of Arsenal, with one eye on the Championship and Leeds. But this year, it's been a JOY to be on the Leicester bandwagon. Even if Kasper Schmeichel used to be OUR keeper!!!!

I started with Queens Park Rangers when I began casually following the BPL last season, and, well, you know where that got them. They weren't up long enough for me to develop much of an attachment. With the shake ups among the bigs already here and coming (Klopp at Liverpool, Guardiola coming to City, Mourinho likely going to ManU, who knows coming to Chelsea), next year figures to be very interesting. This season has been great, and not just for the Leicester story (which I am very happy to root for to the end). Spurs have been really fun to watch, West Ham's resurgence, Everton's version of Jekyll and Hyde, you name it....great story lines all around. Villa would certainly have preferred a better ending. In any case, I'll probably fix on one next year.

Oh we are a right bunch aren't we, Forest, Leeds, Newcastle, we must be gluttons for punishment!

BTW, I agree, pick a team for whatever reason and stick with them. I've been a Nottingham Forest supporter since 1973 when I was born into it. My Father was a dedicated fan of theirs going to all the games in the 60's, so even though I was born in Derby (I will deny that from here on out though) the Red of Forest runs through my veins.

Yes, there has been some great times, but it often feels very masochistic being a Tricky Tree.

Leeds, well I have to hate them after how they treated Brian Clough, but thank goodness they did or Forest would never have got him to lead their club. So I suppose when I think about it, I love Leeds! Actually Kevan, it's a shame you missed the "Dirty Leeds" generation in the 70's, they played some fabulous football, yes it was dirty and rough but still Revie made Leeds into a real football club in the 60's and it was a shame he left to manage England instead of having a go at Europe with Leeds. At Forest we have a rich, well meaning foreign owner who makes horrible decisions, but every time he does I just think thank goodness we are not owned by that crook at Leeds. Seriously, how did he pass the grade by the football league to own Leeds?

Newcastle, I'll never forgive them for their fans cheating in the FA Cup of 1974, invading the pitch to interrupt the game because they were losing (brilliant idea actually, but a bit dangerous). Despite that, I always relate with Newcastle fans having such hopes and passions, enjoying football being played on the ground as it was intended, but ultimately being thwarted by poor decisions by owners.

I hope Newcastle stay up even though it would be nice to see them in the Championship playing Forest again, but I have a sneaking feeling that Sunderland is going to stay up on goal difference. That would be horrible for Newcastle to lose out to Sunderland, I'd be drowning my sorrows if Derby did that to us.

I know that Higuain is having a great season but, I've never been a big fan of his. I'd like to see the money spent on someone more consistent on both sides of the ball. Big game today for 2nd place. My fingers a crossed.

Rough match so far with a few yellow cards, 43minutes in and 0-0, but I imagine a 0-0 draw would work out fine for Napoli fans?

I've been a Leicester supporter from childhood: I went to my first match when I was six; Gordon Banks was in goal. I didn't choose them, they chose me. And I've enjoyed - or endured - all the ups and downs that come with supporting an unfashionable Midlands club which yo-yo'd between the top two divisions, never achieving much apart from a League Cup here and there.

And to think that a year after the Great Escape, my club stands on the cusp of winning its first ever Premiership title.... Tonight, for the first time, I allow myself to believe. I haven't dared before, because - well - this sort of thing doesn't happen to my club, and for me to hope would be to expose myself to crushing disappointment. Except it looks as if they will actually do it, barring the mother and father of all collapses. I think I'm in shock. I'm certainly in tears. Forgive me if this is an incoherent ramble, but I'm so desperately proud of my club and for everything they've achieved this season. Not just for themselves, but maybe they've given hope to other unfashionable clubs elsewhere to believe that teamwork and a strong work ethic can triumph over big money players, and and that the whole can be much greater than the sum of its parts.

I am going off to weep some more. Tears of joy. This is what it is like to be a Foxes fan. Foxes Never Quit.

I've been a Leicester supporter from childhood: I went to my first match when I was six; Gordon Banks was in goal. I didn't choose them, they chose me. And I've enjoyed - or endured - all the ups and downs that come with supporting an unfashionable Midlands club which yo-yo'd between the top two divisions, never achieving much apart from a League Cup here and there.

And to think that a year after the Great Escape, my club stands on the cusp of winning its first ever Premiership title.... Tonight, for the first time, I allow myself to believe. I haven't dared before, because - well - this sort of thing doesn't happen to my club, and for me to hope would be to expose myself to crushing disappointment. Except it looks as if they will actually do it, barring the mother and father of all collapses. I think I'm in shock. I'm certainly in tears. Forgive me if this is an incoherent ramble, but I'm so desperately proud of my club and for everything they've achieved this season. Not just for themselves, but maybe they've given hope to other unfashionable clubs elsewhere to believe that teamwork and a strong work ethic can triumph over big money players, and and that the whole can be much greater than the sum of its parts.

I am going off to weep some more. Tears of joy. This is what it is like to be a Foxes fan. Foxes Never Quit.
And the whole world, barring a pocket of North London, is with you. :thumbup: This is nothing short of remarkable. And I don't think this team will let it slip. Dilly-ding, dilly-dong!

I do have a question for you specifically though, since you're a Leicester supporter, so you're the best person to ask. How much credit does Nigel Pearson "deserve" (as some pundits put it) for this?

I know he put the team together and he was responsible for the 7-match winning run at the end of the season last year and many Leicester fans were upset when he was sacked in the summer, but when I hear pundits say he deserves a "huge" part of the credit for this, it's mind-boggling. He hasn't been there all season. It's not like Ranieri replaced him in October or December. Ranieri has been there all 38 games. It's like a Chelsea fan giving AVB credit for winning the Champion's League instead of Di Matteo, or a Man Utd fan blaming Fergie for the players not performing under Moyes. You certainly don't hear that.

So assuming the title is won, does Pearson really share the credit with Ranieri?

Does anyone else see the irony of Leicester winning the title at Old Trafford on Sunday? The upstart winning it all at old stoic Manchester United.

Does anyone else see the irony of Leicester winning the title at Old Trafford on Sunday? The upstart winning it all at old stoic Manchester United.
It won't be an easy game at Old Trafford. Yeah, Man Utd are being Jekyll and Hyde this year, but they're still dangerous with Martial and Rashford, and they're fighting to cement that top 4 spot.

The irony is perhaps seeing Leicester enter Stamford Bridge with Chelsea giving them a guard of honor, being led out by Claudio Ranieri, who Abramovich sacked in 2004. And Ranieri lifting that trophy while Abramovich watches.

Delicious irony. And I can't wait to see it. 3 more points.....

I had totally forgotten about the Spurs match today (life intrudes). Got a call at work from my Father . . . he needed some assistance. He's in his mid-80s and, truth be told, if he survives the year I will be surprised. So I went over to help him out, and he had the game on. Got to see WBA tie the game and see out the match to claim a split of the points. A fine finish to a worrisome visit.

Hope your dad will be alright. I certainly know all about health scares. So here's to your dad being okay and Newcastle staying up.:thumbup:

Top Bottom