What's new

2015-16 English Premier League/Champion's League

Delightfully entertaining football in the North London Derby today (Arsenal v Tottenham). The Gunners, down to 10 men, score a goal to share the points.

Some real hate today inside and outside White Hart Lane. The US has nothing on these rivalries.

Hats off to Liverpool today at Selhurst Park. Down a goal and a man, the Reds score 2 and take all three points against Crystal Palace.

YNWA

For the first time in European competition, Liverpool and Manchester United squared off in a Europa League match at Anfield.

Liverpool defeats Man U. 2-0. The return leg is Thursday at Old Trafford. United must score 2 and not concede to take the tie to extra time. If Liverpool scores, United need 4 goals to win.

YNWA.

No surprise that Newcastle finally sacked Steve McLaren. I'm not a Magpies fan, but I think it's a great shame that a club as big as Newcastle with such committed fans keeps under-performing year in, year out. It's been a manager's graveyard over recent seasons. For the good of football, I hope Benitez can turn things around - so long as he waits until AFTER the game at Leicester on Monday!

No surprise that Newcastle finally sacked Steve McLaren. I'm not a Magpies fan, but I think it's a great shame that a club as big as Newcastle with such committed fans keeps under-performing year in, year out. It's been a manager's graveyard over recent seasons. For the good of football, I hope Benitez can turn things around - so long as he waits until AFTER the game at Leicester on Monday!

Things are looking bleak Tyneside this season.

A tie will do nicely for both sides. I want Leicester to win the League, but not at the expense of the Toon being relegated.

Things are looking bleak Tyneside this season.

Yes, but the sun is shining, and things are looking up . . . now.

Yeah...suddenly the match vs. Newcastle isn't a sure 3-points for Leicester. Teams always have that "new manager bounce" with the players wanting to impress the new gaffer, and despite what some people say, Benitez is a good coach. Leicester will have to fight for the win now.

Why couldn't they have waited until next week to sack McClaren? :laugh:

But seriously, I'm becoming alarmed at the press already considering this "Leicester's title to lose." I want Leicester to win. I think 95% of the world does. But 9 games is a long time, and 5-points is nothing. A draw and a loss while your rivals win, and it's gone. And we all saw how Liverpool completely botched their title challenge just a few years ago. A lot can happen in 9 games. The final run-in of United, Everton, and Chelsea isn't easy, either.

This was a lot more fun when Leicester flew under the radar and the press was writing articles on how everyone else was screwing it up. Couldn't they have waited until mid-April for these articles talking about titles for underdogs?

Yeah...suddenly the match vs. Newcastle isn't a sure 3-points for Leicester. Teams always have that "new manager bounce" with the players wanting to impress the new gaffer, and despite what some people say, Benitez is a good coach. Leicester will have to fight for the win now.

Why couldn't they have waited until next week to sack McClaren? :laugh:

But seriously, I'm becoming alarmed at the press already considering this "Leicester's title to lose." I want Leicester to win. I think 95% of the world does. But 9 games is a long time, and 5-points is nothing. A draw and a loss while your rivals win, and it's gone. And we all saw how Liverpool completely botched their title challenge just a few years ago. A lot can happen in 9 games. The final run-in of United, Everton, and Chelsea isn't easy, either.

This was a lot more fun when Leicester flew under the radar and the press was writing articles on how everyone else was screwing it up. Couldn't they have waited until mid-April for these articles talking about titles for underdogs?

Quite right - far too early to use the c-word.....

Delightfully entertaining football in the North London Derby today (Arsenal v Tottenham). The Gunners, down to 10 men, score a goal to share the points.

Some real hate today inside and outside White Hart Lane. The US has nothing on these rivalries.

Dodgers-Giants, Yankees-Red Sox, Cowboys-Giants/Washington/Eagles.

There are a few.

Dodgers-Giants, Yankees-Red Sox, Cowboys-Giants/Washington/Eagles.

There are a few.

Rarely do the police cordon off opposing fans from each other in the US. Police on horseback breaking up the fights prior to kick-off at White Hart Lane.

I am a fan of of Ohio State and despise Michigan, but not to the level I feel I need to knock out every Wolverine fan I see. Arsenal and Spurs fans do. And Celtic v Rangers take the hate to a higher (lower?) level beyond the North London derby.

Excellent point, though there are a select (thankfully) few who do their dirty work individually or as small groups, rather than en masse.

I saw yesterday that with the loss by Juventus in stunning fashion to Bayern München, England will retain 4 guaranteed spots in the Champions League for 2016-2017. From what I read, the countries are given a rating based on performance in the different UEFA leagues (among other things), and the Juventus loss means that Italy finishes lower for that rating than England. The top 3 countries in that ranking get 4 slots, and #4 gets 3 slots. The thought is that Italy may overtake England next year.

The thought is that Italy may overtake England next year.
Not when Leicester City shocks the world with a 2-1 win over Barcelona in the 2017 UCL final, causing the Millennium Stadium to erupt and the UEFA dignitaries to look at each other in abject disbelief. :laugh::lol:

Seriously though...this stuff is and will always be cyclical. Germany didn't perform well in Europe for years after 2002. England had a period of dominance that lasted from 2005-2012, and were in the latter stages of the Champions League as recently as 2014, and won the Europa League in 2013. After Real Madrid won their 9th trophy, if it weren't for the exploits of Valencia and Sevilla in the UEFA Cup, Spain was poor in the CL until 2009.

I think the journalists overstate this stuff. Even if England loses the 4th spot next year, they'll get it right back.

Aaaannnd Leicester win again, to open up an 8 point lead. Sweating yet, Spurs? :laugh:

Arsenal get back on track with a comprehensive win today over Everton, who define the term "Jekyll and Hyde". West Ham got a draw at Stamford Bridge...they look very good indeed.

Tomorrow is huge. Two derbies, one being a relegation 6-pointer. Spurs should dispatch Bournemouth easily, but if they don't, I'm going to laugh so hard, I swear.:lol:

West Ham were unlucky - I hope they make it into the CL next season. Newcastle/Sunderland derby is beyond massive. Hoping that Spurs crack under the weight of expectation and Bournemouth do a number over them.

As for Leicester, this was our fourth 1-0 win in a row, so we keep grinding out the results even if it's not pretty. The fans were magnificent yeasterday - refusing to leave the ground after the match so they could carry on the celebrations. A very special day.

West Ham has too far to go to reach 4th. Just do not see it. No shame in Europa competition for them, as a solid placing in the League is more important to them long-term. New stadium will bring in some needed cash for a push into the top four for next season. Bilic should be getting a raise, too.

Tyne-Wear derby today is Rafa's first home game since signing on for the poisoned chalice that is NUFC. I am expecting a win for the Toon, but relegation is still looming. One victory may set them on the path to safety, but much work remains to fill all the bloody leaks in this ship.

Top Bottom