What's new

2 weeks in: success !!!

Tuesday was exactly two weeks since my first (and hugely traumatic) DE shave.

As of this morning, I have had three consistently great, BBS quality or close, irritation free daily shaves in a row, with the last shave taking under 15 min including the time to clean & put away my razor & brush. I've had good days before, but not repeatably.

I would have got to this point much earlier have I not been experimenting with different blades even after finding one that worked for me.

So, here's what works for me - and hopefully it could help some other noob:

1) Mild razor. I have two I started with, Baili BD179 (TTO) and Baili BD176 (3-piece). The 3-Piece is probably the best to start on because it's absolutely the most forgiving razor imaginable, but is perfectly capable of giving a BBS shave. TTO however is my favorite at the moment, it's just a little more aggressive and gives great audible feedback (176 often feels as if I forgot to put a blade in) while staying very mild. I have a goatee so no issues with shaving under the nose, where a little thicker TTO head may be harder to maneuver.

2) Blade that is comfortable, has a good balance between mild and sharp, and provides reliable performance. For me, out of all blades I tried so far, it's Astra SP, no contest. YMMV.

3) Soap. Lather, lather, lather in between passes. All the time. I use Arko stick which I grated into a glass jar and I add a little hot water to the jar just before shave, let it sit for 15-20 sec, then dump most of it. This makes the soap very soft and easier to lather. I am using a Maggard synthetic brush but I am sure any decent brush would do.

4) Prep. This is very important, in my experience. I take a hot shower just before shaving. If it's late in a day, I take a face cloth and soak it in hot water and lay on my face for 30 sec. But shower works the best.

5) Technique. The biggest thing that I learned is that it's not the number of passes that irritates your skin, it's the pressure and blade friction. I use the least amount of pressure possible, and whenever I can just let the razor weight do the job. This is another reason I prefer TTO over 176, it's a little heavier. I started by holding the handle in the middle, but now try to hold it near the very end to increase the weight acting on skin.

With TTO, I do the classic 3-pass - WTG, XTG, ATG. I have to repeat ATG and XTG passes in stubborn areas several times, the main thing is to re-lather before every pass. With 176, WTG passes are all but useless with my stubble.

6) I follow up with a cold rinse, apply aftershave, wait 10 sec, and apply Nivea Cooling Balm.

That's great to hear. It's not the razor its the process and once you get it down to pat shaving becomes so much better!

Great!!!
You became an expert!!
The number 5 (technique) it’s precious in achieving good results.
Congratulations

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Thanks ! Not an expert by any stretch of imagination, but it looks like I could survive DE shaving now...

Three other points I forgot to add:

1) Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief cream really helped me to get through the initial irritation phase. I was actually planning on using it as my daily aftershave balm but now that the red bumps are largely gone I switched to Nivea as it's a little more fragrant and less thick. I still keep applying Eucerin to my throat area until the last remnants of redness are gone.

2) I change the blades after every 3 shaves (will try to take it up to 4) and I don't take them out after each shave, instead I squirt some rubbing alcohol over razor head. When I toss a blade, I soak the razor head in rubbing alcohol and put it back in the box, then the next morning gently clean it before putting a new blade in. The alcohol seems to work well in preventing the soap film build up.

3) Finally... my biggest mistake was in not sticking to the razor / blade combo that worked well. Being a noobie and experimenting with stuff only leads to irritation, cuts, and the overall dissatisfaction with the whole thing. I hid my sample pack away and will not touch it until wet shaving has become a simple routine.

Glad you're getting the hang of it. Stick with the same set-up at least a month before trying something different. That gives you a chance to start learning & practicing proper technique without having variables slow down your learning process. It's a wonderful pastime, enjoy the journey!

Always like seeing when someone new has the Success Epiphany. Kudos for actively tracking your progress and not being afraid to make adjustments when necessary.

Very good progress in two weeks. Points 2) & 5) are very important; find a preferred blade and then apply good technique. Good lather helps.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Well done! Thanks for sharing your journey so far. Can’t wait to hear back from you in the future.

Thanks all.

Now, finally, my face feels really pampered every morning. (It better be, with all the aftershave and balm and cream). Just had another great shave with a fresh blade.

Brilliant! I know that feeling! I’m with Rotiv and Jim, #5 is the key. Also, while I use an SE razor now, I also thought there was something kind of magical about the sharp/smooth balance of an Astra SP.

We like hearing about this, and you write about it well. You might consider starting a Journal in the Journals and Diaries forum.

Brilliant! I know that feeling! I’m with Rotiv and Jim, #5 is the key. Also, while I use an SE razor now, I also thought there was something kind of magical about the sharp/smooth balance of an Astra SP.

We like hearing about this, and you write about it well. You might consider starting a Journal in the Journals and Diaries forum.

Thanks. I never thought about starting a journal. The first few entries should read like a slashfest horror story...

Astra SP's, really like the blade too. My go-to is Personna Platinum Chrome Super Stainless Steel (PCSSS). For me, they have the perfect balance between sharpness and comfort. Cheers!

Top Bottom