What's new

1st shave with Merkur 34C was inefficient. What am I doing wrong?

34c is for me somewhat more than a mild shaver and with a decent blade I get a happy 2 pass close shave. Not my daily driver for sure, but I do like it when I need a real quick mindless shave. It is also my go to razor if I have nicked myself the day before and don't want a re-bleed. :)
What blades do you like?

I used the 34C this morning. It is definitely on the mild side. For a more experienced DE user it would probably benefit from a sharper blade. I used a Personna platinum chrome blade (2nd use) and got a very good shave with the 34C.

The variability of different razors for different people is interesting. For example, a lot of people like the 1960s era Slim adjustable. I tried a 1967 Slim and I just could not get an acceptable shave with it.

I used the 34C this morning. It is definitely on the mild side. For a more experienced DE user it would probably benefit from a sharper blade. I used a Personna platinum chrome blade (2nd use) and got a very good shave with the 34C.

The variability of different razors for different people is interesting. For example, a lot of people like the 1960s era Slim adjustable. I tried a 1967 Slim and I just could not get an acceptable shave with it.
Yeah it is interesting, Totally understandable, but interesting. Then when you add in how people react to different blades, and how different blades work in different razors, it's a wonder how any of us figure out how to shave. 😊

I keep a 34G and a Heritage Inspired with a R89 head. I don't shave with the Gillette, though I prefer the Shave of the R89 head style. The 34 head was my first DE, and, was quickly supplanted by an Edwin Jagger DE86 with a short rubberized handle. In the end I use modern machined, or vintages.
I had best results with Persona Platinums from Israel. They are now made in Germany and I haven't tried them. I find perma-sharps quite nice. Smooth and Sharp. Wizamet Super Iridium are a little more effort to get, but are also great blades. I have been using Vintage Gillette Spoilers.

Last edited:
Interesting comments and experiences. In my hands, the 34 is the best razor I've ever used (out of trying over a dozen or so) -- just slightly ahead of the Feather ASD2 in enabling me to achieve BBS in an effortless, comfortable two pass shave.

I can certainly understand via YMMV how the 34 may not work for others, but I don't see how the DE89 could do well and the 34 do poorly in the same hands, as to me they are a similar design.

Anyway, as far as suggestions for the OP I don't have any other than try another blade. Vokshod and Red Personna have worked the best for me in the 34, while for example Treet and Feather not as good.

Interesting comments and experiences. In my hands, the 34 is the best razor I've ever used (out of trying over a dozen or so) -- just slightly ahead of the Feather ASD2 in enabling me to achieve BBS in an effortless, comfortable two pass shave.

I can certainly understand via YMMV how the 34 may not work for others, but I don't see how the DE89 could do well and the 34 do poorly in the same hands, as to me they are a similar design.

Anyway, as far as suggestions for the OP I don't have any other than try another blade. Vokshod and Red Personna have worked the best for me in the 34, while for example Treet and Feather not as good.
I the you're probably right, and I was quick to give up with the 34C. I am in a state of flux, and I have been seduced by the "new" razors, my Henson razors and the Winning Razor. With that new design I have been getting great shaves with little effort using pretty much any blade. I also recently acquired the Merica razor, which feels more traditionally designed and more aggressive than my old EJ DE 89 or the 34C. But yeah, I may need to revisit the 34C sometime in the future. I like mild razors (and that Merica.)

Reactions: tm3
I the you're probably right, and I was quick to give up with the 34C. I am in a state of flux, and I have been seduced by the "new" razors, my Henson razors and the Winning Razor. With that new design I have been getting great shaves with little effort using pretty much any blade. I also recently acquired the Merica razor, which feels more traditionally designed and more aggressive than my old EJ DE 89 or the 34C. But yeah, I may need to revisit the 34C sometime in the future. I like mild razors (and that Merica.)
I know what you mean. While I liked the styling and fit and finish of the ASD2 I just got OK shaves with it -- not on par with the 34 (not even close), or the Progress, or even others, so the ASD2 went into storage for several years.

Something I came across here was kind of a light bulb moment and prompted me to try the ASD2 again, with a little different technique. Boom! From zero to hero, and it is now a member of my "holy trinity" (ASD2, 34, Progress).

Curiosity (coupled with a great deal) will probably get me to try the Henson some day but for now I'm pretty content with my razor, blade, and brush selection. Here's wishing the same for you and all other B&B members!

Just thought I'd mention...

The 34C and EJ DE89/Mühle R89 are somewhat similar in design and performance as far as I could tell: They're definitely on the mild end.

For a more aggressive/efficient option, I could suggest the Col. Conk "Major" razor. It has a similar-ish type of head design, but it's more aggressive and efficient IMO.

Just thought I'd mention...

The 34C and EJ DE89/Mühle R89 are somewhat similar in design and performance as far as I could tell: They're definitely on the mild end.

For a more aggressive/efficient option, I could suggest the Col. Conk "Major" razor. It has a similar-ish type of head design, but it's more aggressive and efficient IMO.
Or a Parker like 97R, same design but a little more aggressive.

I know what you mean. While I liked the styling and fit and finish of the ASD2 I just got OK shaves with it -- not on par with the 34 (not even close), or the Progress, or even others, so the ASD2 went into storage for several years.

Something I came across here was kind of a light bulb moment and prompted me to try the ASD2 again, with a little different technique. Boom! From zero to hero, and it is now a member of my "holy trinity" (ASD2, 34, Progress).

Curiosity (coupled with a great deal) will probably get me to try the Henson some day but for now I'm pretty content with my razor, blade, and brush selection. Here's wishing the same for you and all other B&B members!
Thanks, I especially appreciate knowing your favorite three razors.

You are not doing anything wrong. If you have tough heavy beard, the 34C will not give you a close shave even with 3 passes whatever the blade. The razor is very very mild.

but I don't see how the DE89 could do well and the 34 do poorly in the same hands, as to me they are a similar design.

Yes they are a similar design. I think the majority of 3-piece razors on the market today are either the same or very close to the R89 design head. This is perfectly understandable, as the R89 head is an excellent design and it aimed directly at the needs of the average shaver.

It has been my experience however, that the 34c is just a tad bit less aggressive / efficient than the R89 / DE89 head.

Being average, I rate the R89 as a 5 on a 1-10 agressive/efficient scale. While I rate the 34c as a close 4.5.

Yes they are similar. The differences are slight, but there are differences. When working with something like razors, the differences might amount to 1/1000 of an inch (or less).

I would say, that most people will be satisfied with the closeness of the 34c's shave. But, more importantly for some, will be the smoothness of its shave and the comfort of the shaving experience.

Maybe it is due to the tiniest of differences between it and a DE89 head design?

Not only does it eliminate nicks and irritation a bit better but in not shaving as close, reduces the chances of razor burn significantly.

While my shave feels close at the time, a few hours later, it no longer gives that feeling if closeness and by late afternoon, I can definitely feel the growth.

The DE89 head, pushes this all back a few more hours. My regular daily driver is with the R41 head and leaves my face feeling like glass and this feeling lasts a solid 12-hours. Even in the next morning, it still feels close.

While the 34c might not be the best in a close shave, it is hard to beat it for the convenience and comfort that most shavers covet.

I put a Nacet in the 34c, with 7-shaves on the blade. I will see if that improves the closeness a bit tomorrow morning.

my 34c was my "training razor" that i used for the first couple of years as i refined my technique and zeroed in on the products (blades, soap, and brushes) I liked. It was, as has been stated, a mild and not very efficient shaver and i didnt have to worry about getting cut. Now that I know where I am at I use a Timeless Ti .95 and would never consider using the 34c again.

Last edited:
my 34c was my "training razor" that i used for the first couple of years as i refined my technic... It was, as has been stated, a mild and not very efficient shaver and i didnt have to worry about getting cut. Now that I know where I am at I use a Timeless Ti .95 and would never consider using the 34c ever again.

I think, as you move away from cartridges, the shave you receive from razors like the DE89 and the 34c seem to be on par or better than the cartridges that you were using.

They also had the benefit of being less expensive and less irritating, making it a win, win situation.

But once you venture up to a more efficient razor and an even closer more superior shave, then you really notice the difference of the DE razors that you were using initially.

I do find the 34c to be slightly milder than the DE89 though. Tomorrow morning, I plan on shaving again with the 34c and a Nacet to compare again.

My impressions have been that the shave from the 34c appears to be smooth and close initially but the close shave feeling still is not as close as with my other razors, nor does it last as long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom