What's new

1942 Gillette open comb Aristocrat

Yes this razor was sold as late 1942. One caveat though it wasn't being sold to the general public but through the American Legion from 1940 - 1942. The last year I know for sure these were still being sold in pharmacies or retail shops was 1940.

The American Legion Emblem Catalog 1942 pg 27
The American Legion emblem catalog, 1942 : American Legion. Emblem Division : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The American Legion Emblem Catalog 1941 pg 27
https://archive.org/details/americanlegionem00amer_19/page/26?q=+gillette++razor++1941

The American Legion Emblem Catalog 1940 pg 27
https://archive.org/details/americanlegionem00amer_18/page/26?q=gillette++razor++1940

As an aside they didn't sell any razors in the 36 to 39 catalogs. That would make any American Legion Aristocrat sets with this razor dated for sure to 1940 - 42.

As it turns out I have what is for sure based upon this a 40 - 42 open comb Aristocrat. Here is my American Legion set. Blade bank is not the original to this set. It would have been a gold plated blade bank according to the catalog descriptions.

am1.jpg am2.jpg am3.jpg

Last edited:
I had no idea these were still being distributed that late after the accepted production/sale dates. The provenance and cool factor was already there.
It’s really not a stretch though. When they would produce goods they did not try to keep production and sales as close as possible.
Customizing over-runs would be a great way to sell during the no-production period of WWII.

It’s really not a stretch though. When they would produce goods they did not try to keep production and sales as close as possible.
Customizing over-runs would be a great way to sell during the no-production period of WWII.

Well the question is did the American Legion buy a single batch in either 39 or 40 and it took them until 42 to sell all them to the members or was Gillette making a special run of razors for only the American Legion. That I think I can prove if I can find another example of this variant razor. On this particular razor they switched which rings the patent numbers are on from the first 2 variants. If I find one from a non American Legion set that isn't switched then that proves one of 2 things, the revision was done for the American Legion specifically or there are 2 production revisions on the third variant that went out to the general public then.

Well the question is did the American Legion buy a single batch in either 39 or 40 and it took them until 42 to sell all them to the members or was Gillette making a special run of razors for only the American Legion. That I think I can prove if I can find another example of this variant razor. On this particular razor they switched which rings the patent numbers are on from the first 2 variants. If I find one from a non American Legion set that isn't switched then that proves one of 2 things, the revision was done for the American Legion specifically or there are 2 production revisions on the third variant that went out to the general public then.

Checking the usual sales sites, all I find is the first 2 variants not a single listing current or sold for the third one. The one I have is not the first one I've seen come up for sale, I passed on a few in the past because of condition but they come up for sale the least of the 3.

or was Gillette making a special run of razors for only the American Legion.
Without knowing for sure of course, I would seriously doubt production during the War time period. Selling extra product makes total sense though.

The window from 1937-39 is intriguing. The Senator and Sheraton were available in 1937-39. And if the only difference between the Aristocrat and Sheraton is the handle, then why not consider that they were being produced or assembled during the same period.

Top Bottom