What's new

1941 Ranger Tech Safety Razor

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
This is on my wish list together with the open comb TTO. :D

How does this ranger tech compare to a Gillette SS red and flare tip?
I haven’t used a regular Flair Tip in quite a while, but my best guess is that the Ranger Tech is significantly more aggressive. It’s also more aggressive than my ‘47 Superspeed, even though the book says they have the same blade gap and weight.

I am something of a Red Tip fanboy. I think the Ranger Tech shaves very similarly to the Red Tip. It’s a touch more aggressive. I like them both. Total toss up. I keep meaning to do a head-to-head shave-off. One thing I’ve noticed is that while I prefer a GSB blade in the Red Tip, the Ranger seems to do better with an Astra SP, which is a little smoother than the GSB. I probably wouldn’t to use an actual 1941-vintage blade in the Ranger Tech for an ATG pass.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This thread deserves a bump today. If you haven’t read the post by @Komboloi (1941 Ranger Tech Safety Razor) you really should.

I used my Ranger Tech this morning. Not to over-sentimentalize a razor, but boy, I wish it could talk. I wonder if it was one of those gifts under the Christmas tree in 1941 for Pops or Sonny who then shipped off to war to do his part. And I can’t help but think of all the brave men who didn’t get a new razor for Christmas in 1941 because they gave all defending Pearl Harbor. Whomever owned this Ranger before me, it’s brassed in all the right places for a razor that’s done good service for decades. And no wonder; it’s a magnificent shaver.

Wishing you a peaceful and solemn Pearl Harbor Day.
Very well said, sir. Those men who did so much and said so little are becoming as rare as the dough boys of my youth.

tankerjohn

Very well said, sir. Those men who did so much and said so little are becoming as rare as the dough boys of my youth.
Indeed they are. I heard on the news this is the first year that none of the survivors were able to attend the memorial at the USS Arizona. :closedeye I expect it won’t be long before they’re not here at all.

Happy 77th to everyone's Ranger Techs (including my own and my dad's, his RT is retired). Didn't use it as I am on blood thinners for a month, electric only.

Upon picking my daughter up from school today, I asked her if she wanted to stop by the local antique mall. She said sure although I didn't have high hopes for finding anything of interest as this place gets quite a few visitors and gets picked over quickly. As we headed down the last aisle (and as I resigned myself to finding nothing here again) I spotted this cased '41 Ranger Tech in a small showcase. After seeing the '30% off entire booth' sign, I knew she was mine. This picture is after clean up although she didn't need much more than a gentle scrubbing.
DSC_0047 (4).JPG

R

romsitsa

Looks pristine. Hope you didn’t have to buy the entire booth to get the Ranger :)

Adam

Looks pristine. Hope you didn’t have to buy the entire booth to get the Ranger :)

Adam
Haha!! Thanks. She is pretty darn clean for being almost 80 years old. The cases for the RTs aren't near as substantial as some other models yet, other than some staining, this one is in pretty sound condition, as well.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... I spotted this cased '41 Ranger Tech in a small showcase ...

I wish my '41 looked that pristine, I would have jumped on that, too! Nice one, enjoy the great shaves and congrats.

Might be fun to check the date code on those blades ...

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Upon picking my daughter up from school today, I asked her if she wanted to stop by the local antique mall. She said sure although I didn't have high hopes for finding anything of interest as this place gets quite a few visitors and gets picked over quickly. As we headed down the last aisle (and as I resigned myself to finding nothing here again) I spotted this cased '41 Ranger Tech in a small showcase. After seeing the '30% off entire booth' sign, I knew she was mine. This picture is after clean up although she didn't need much more than a gentle scrubbing.View attachment 935186
You did great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

Upon picking my daughter up from school today, I asked her if she wanted to stop by the local antique mall. She said sure although I didn't have high hopes for finding anything of interest as this place gets quite a few visitors and gets picked over quickly. As we headed down the last aisle (and as I resigned myself to finding nothing here again) I spotted this cased '41 Ranger Tech in a small showcase. After seeing the '30% off entire booth' sign, I knew she was mine. This picture is after clean up although she didn't need much more than a gentle scrubbing.View attachment 935186
Wow, awesome find! Congrats!

The early Milord razors are exactly like the Ranger Tech. And the share some similarities with the Senators and Sherraton razors as well. I have a Senator, two Sheraton, and two early Milord razors. And they all shave very similarly. With the Milord being just a tad smoother and is able to be used at a wider range of angle than the others.
970749BD-498B-469B-A7E9-FF8EEB80E045.jpeg
8DFC3C34-3C14-4542-82A9-94934A12ECD6.jpeg

I wish my '41 looked that pristine, I would have jumped on that, too! Nice one, enjoy the great shaves and congrats.

Might be fun to check the date code on those blades ...
I added the blades for the picture.

O-M-G!

Another Ranger finds a home!

Managed to score one myself; not as pretty as THAT one! Congrats!

I am in the process of comparing Ranger Tech to Senator to 40's Super Speed ...

AA

Yeah I was very pleased with the shave from my Senator so thought I'd give the Ranger a go.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah I was very pleased with the shave from my Senator so thought I'd give the Ranger a go.

Senator is probably my favorite Gillette, so it made sense Ranger was just like it but with solid bar.

Hard to score, these two.

But I am honestly putting them into competition with a 40s Super Speed and results are unclear ... So far.

Ranger is very efficient, of that I am sure. One pass and you're wasting soap on a second.

AA

In the house.
proxy.php
Here's mine, the slightly rarer "hybrid" version. The head came from the factory with an unplated head. The shave is very different than a Super Speed to me, probably because the baseplate is more curved rather than flatter and creased to drop the guard.
proxy.php

Do these shave anything like my favorite non adjustable TTO a Brit Aristocrat Jr? Not sure why the A.jr shaves so well in particular ormif any other razors share head.

Do these shave anything like my favorite non adjustable TTO a Brit Aristocrat Jr? Not sure why the A.jr shaves so well in particular ormif any other razors share head.
I find the Ranger Tech slightly more efficient/aggressive and with more blade feel (which I like) than the Aristocrat Jr, both the flat bottom version and the diamond baseplate.

I find the Ranger Tech slightly more efficient/aggressive and with more blade feel (which I like) than the Aristocrat Jr, both the flat bottom version and the diamond baseplate.

Was not aware of different bottoms on Aristocrat Jr. I have a flat bottom variant. Not a sexy razor very utilitarian looking but a sturdy performer. Thanks for comparison information.

Top Bottom