What's new

1940's EFB OC?

I've unexpectedly won this vintage Gillette for a relatively low price. It was advertised as a 1930's thin handle Tech. It looks to me like a 1940's New OC. Can anyone narrow down the date with any more accuracy? There won't be any date codes on the razor, as the made in England ones weren't date coded in that period. Thanks.

Screenshot_20220424-200013_eBay.jpg

Don't know the year, but it looks like a British flat-bottom New, one of my best razors.
Not sure if the handle is a match. Looks like the handle might be the handle of a fat-handle Tech.

Don't know the year, but it looks like a British flat-bottom New, one of my best razors.
Not sure if the handle is a match. Looks like the handle might be the handle of a fat-handle Tech.
Indeed, those were my thoughts. I'd use it with a titanium handle anyway as the vintage handles are too small for my liking.

It arrived today and is in excellent condition. Even the Bakelite case is perfect. The blades were still sealed in cellophane, so I opened them up. They are quite rusty (should I get a refund?), but the date code is clearly visible as L3 (Q3 of 1941). The handle is indeed a slim, being 9.5mm in diameter and 72.8mm long. Could it be the original handle?

Now I'm going to try a shave with it, but with a modern blade and handle.

20220427_105502.jpg20220427_110724.jpgBlade L3.jpg

The British FB NEW is probably my favorite NEW model, but the others are not that far behind and the difference is very small. Surprisingly enough, I don't like how the FB Tech shaves and for that reason I rarely use it. Both FB Tech and NEW are similar, but somehow the Tech isn't as efficient and getting a very close shave requires a bit more work and blade buffing and the overall shaving experience isn't enjoyable at all.

It shaves very much like a Tech, unsurprisingly, which is no bad thing. :) It seems that it falls between the dates of the razors in the photos posted by Hannah's Dad, so that could explain the earlier type Bakelite box and the later type slim handle. I think it's a lovely bargain and a little piece of history, having been made during WW2.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

The British FB NEW is probably my favorite NEW model, but the others are not that far behind and the difference is very small. Surprisingly enough, I don't like how the FB Tech shaves and for that reason I rarely use it. Both FB Tech and NEW are similar, but somehow the Tech isn't as efficient and getting a very close shave requires a bit more work and blade buffing and the overall shaving experience isn't enjoyable at all.

I slightly prefer the EFB Tech, I think, although the differences are quite small (other than the feel of the open comb).

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
It shaves very much like a Tech, unsurprisingly, which is no bad thing. :) It seems that it falls between the dates of the razors in the photos posted by Hannah's Dad, so that could explain the earlier type Bakelite box and the later type slim handle. I think it's a lovely bargain and a little piece of history, having been made during WW2.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Fantastic score, regardless of pedigree — enjoy it in good health!

Top Bottom