What's new

Van Der Hagen Boar brush

Item Description

This is my first shave brush. I purchased it for around $5 at HEB, my local grocery store. The price just can't be beat.

The quality seemed to match the price however. The plastic handle feels cheap and gets super slippery when wet so its hard to hold on to. I always drop it into the bowl or sink a couple of times while lathering. I will note that after a couple of "practice" lathers, there was absolutely no smell coming from the brush, so that's a plus.

Being a boar brush I wasn't expecting this thing to be soft. I like to face lather but with this brush my face can only take it every other day or so. I haven't had any problems actually making a lather though, and this thing holds enough to make several passes.

Aside from losing a few hairs this was a good brush to introduce me to the world of wet shaving.

Latest reviews

Pros: price and availability
Cons: coarse bristles and shedding
These are available easily at most drug stores, which is convenient. The smell is not too porky and the knot is large. The bristles are colored to look like silvertip badger, but much scratchier and stiffer. It exfoliates well. Mine tends to shed several hairs each time I use it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pros: cheap
Cons: sheads excessivley
not worth the money
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
0.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Lathers good
Cons: Sheds non stop
This was my very first shaving brush that I purchased out of Walgreens.

This brush will NOT stop shedding - you get several boar hairs everytime you shave with it in both your soap and face. It shed so much I had to replace it.

When it worked, the brush tips were scratchy (as to be expected from a boar brush), but created a nice, thick lather easily. The brush is also packed pretty good.

This would make a perfect brush for a person not sure if they want to get into wet shaving, but when they are sure they want to continue, this brush should be replaced with something better.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
1.00 star(s)