What's new

Thayers Medicated Superhazel

Item Description

I ordered some of this just because no one has reviewed it yet, and i am not dissapointed.
When you open the bottle for the first time, you are sacked in the face by the awesome peppermint scent, i usually use Dickensons witch hazel, which smels horrid, so this was a nice change for me.
Ingredients: Thayers Proprietary Witch Hazel, Peppermint, Camphor, Calendula, Eucalyptus, Clove, Aloe Vera, and natural grain alcohol as a preservative (20%).

Price: You cant go wrong for 12 oz for $9.00 from Thayers website. I know you can get the "normal" witch hazel for less than half that price at your local pharmacy, but if you want top shelf, this is the stuff.

Quality: Not much to say here, all the ingredients are natural, and Thayers always makes some top quality products.

Fights Razor Burn: Razor Burn? After you apply this, you wont remember you even HAD razor burn.

Cooling Sensation: I gave this a 5 because even though there is some cooling, its not an extreme cooling like Aqua Velva gives, its suprising that the peppermint and eucalyptus dont give it more of a kick in this department, but its enjoyable either way.

Scent: If you like the smell of peppermint, you will love this product, its not a REALLY strong peppermint scent, but its a good smell to wake up to in the morning.

Efficacy: It did exactly what it says on the bottle: "Cooling and Soothing Relief from Minor Itches, Skin Irritations and Burns". I believe razor burn would qualify for "Skin Irritations".

Moisturizing: It actually dries your skin out since it contains 20% alcohol, I would say to use any moisturizing A/S to counteract the drying effect.

No Alcohol Burn: I put this on before i applied Aqua Velva, and i can tell you that the burn from Aqua Velva was 10x worse than this, i know a lot of people are put off by any alcohol in an aftershave, but unless you have EXTREME razor burn, the alcohol burn is hardly noticeable.

On a side note, this is also great for your medicine kit, takes the pain away from sunburn, any cut or scratch, and if you have a papercut this is the stuff to use.

Latest reviews

Pros: Price, Quality, Effectiveness
Cons: You can't buy it by the Gallon
Great for the post shave. I also use it for minor burns, sun burn, rash, and bug bites. I keep a bottle in my vehicle at all times, so I never leave home without it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I bought this based on all the glowing reviews, but was disappointed for one and only one reason. This product left my skin very tacky and sticky, especially when I applied it as a splash. I guess I could: (a) apply much much less; (b) don't splash it on and instead use a cotton ball; and/or (c) stop touching my face after applying it. However: (a) I feel that applying less reduces some of the other benefits; (b) I don't like using cotton balls, applicator pads, or the like; and (c) I always feel my face after shaving and tend to rest my chin on my hands while staring at my computer screen all day long like the main character in Office Space.

So, the takeaway is this: too sticky = too bad, at least for me. I won't use or purchase this again for use as an AS splash. I do think it's good for other purposes, such as treating bug bites, scrapes, rashes, etc. For that reason, I kept my bottle rather than dumping it down the drain.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I tried Super Hazel this morning for the first time. What a wake-up! Cold and minty!! Some alcohol afterburn, but the cold hides it. I liked it but not for every day.

If I could use only one aftershave, I'd go for Thayer's unscented with aloe. But I can use as many as I want, and Super Hazel will be one of them.

Item information

Added by
SilverKarn
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
0.25 star(s) 20 ratings

More in Aftershaves (Reviews)

More from SilverKarn

• Scrubbing Bubbles
    If you need to clean your razor, and who doesnt, this stuff is the best...
Top Bottom