What's new

Thayers Medicated Superhazel

Pros: Price, Quality, Effectiveness
Cons: You can't buy it by the Gallon
Great for the post shave. I also use it for minor burns, sun burn, rash, and bug bites. I keep a bottle in my vehicle at all times, so I never leave home without it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I bought this based on all the glowing reviews, but was disappointed for one and only one reason. This product left my skin very tacky and sticky, especially when I applied it as a splash. I guess I could: (a) apply much much less; (b) don't splash it on and instead use a cotton ball; and/or (c) stop touching my face after applying it. However: (a) I feel that applying less reduces some of the other benefits; (b) I don't like using cotton balls, applicator pads, or the like; and (c) I always feel my face after shaving and tend to rest my chin on my hands while staring at my computer screen all day long like the main character in Office Space.

So, the takeaway is this: too sticky = too bad, at least for me. I won't use or purchase this again for use as an AS splash. I do think it's good for other purposes, such as treating bug bites, scrapes, rashes, etc. For that reason, I kept my bottle rather than dumping it down the drain.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I tried Super Hazel this morning for the first time. What a wake-up! Cold and minty!! Some alcohol afterburn, but the cold hides it. I liked it but not for every day.

If I could use only one aftershave, I'd go for Thayer's unscented with aloe. But I can use as many as I want, and Super Hazel will be one of them.
Price: Its not a turn off to get it cause it simply works.

Quality: This simply works for my skin type which is oily and sensitive.

Fights Razor Burn: YES, it does. Use it a few times throughout the day to assist the skin in bringing them to a head. After using this its hard for me to use others.

Cooling Sensation: You know when its on and when its drying down not over the top unless your shave was.

Scent: I like peppermint and its not loud afte the dry down.

Efficacy: It does what it says it will by cooling and soothing minor ... skin irritation...

Moisturing: Its ok because it leave a film behind but I still use a moisturizer/balm as a post shave routine espcially during the winter. We will see for summer as I plan to have no irritation from straight razor shaving by then.

No Alcohol burn: Alcohol burns like a slap and this does very little of that because I don't cringe after I use it.

Side Note: If you have skin irritation - really any type, even acne - get this, its like a treatment for various skin conditions that is simple and effective and it works.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Love this stuff. It really helped me get through my first two weeks of DE shaving.
Available at the local Whole Foods for $9-$10.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price

Sells for $8-10 depending on where you buy it. Not super cheap, but very fair. Considering you get 12 ounces the cost is in line with the cheapest drugstore aftershaves only you get more bang for the buck here.

Quality

Like the Alcohol Free Toners Thayer's Offers, Quality is very high.

Ingredients are as follows:

Active Ingredients: Camphor 0.1%.... External analgesic

Inactive Ingredients: Aloe vera extract (certified organic), calendula extract, citric acid, clove oil, denatured grain alcohol (20% v/v), Eucalyptol, glycerin (vegetable), grapefruit seed extract, peppermint oil, purified water, witch hazel extract (Thayer's proprietary un-distilled).

Fights Razor Burn

I did not have razor burn when I used this so I can't say for sure, but my guess is this would be soothing to someone that did have razor burn.

Cooling Sensation

This definitely has a subtle cooling sensation. It's not a blast of menthol because there is no menthol, but it is there and it feels nice.

Scent

Here is where the Superhazel loses points. It has a medicinal scent due to the camphor...I would've like a little more peppermint but that's okay. Bottom line is that it just doesn't smell nearly as good as the scented Thayer's. But that's okay because the scent fades quickly.

Efficacy

This works very well as an aftershave. You get the benefits of witch hazel, some alcohol to disinfect, soothing properties of camphor/clove/peppermint, and a little moisturizing from the aloe and glycerin.

Moisturizing

Because it contains 20% alcohol, in the winter you are going to definitely want a moisturizer. It did not feel drying or make my face feel tight like a high alcohol splash, but I used in in the middle of January and went out in the cold afterwards and my face got a little dry by the next morning. Again, aftershave balm or moisturizer is a good idea as with any product that has alcohol.

No Alcohol Burn

With the alcohol free Thayers, I usually splash a generous amount on my face without diluting it at all. Since this Superhazel has alcohol, I used it the same way I use alcohol aftershave splashes. I wet my face and hands, poured a small amount in my palm, rubbed my hands together than patted my beard area. I got no burn whatsoever. I had to rate it an 8 though since it does contain some alcohol so it may burn just a bit for some guys.

Overall this is an excellent product that I'm glad I bought and it will find frequent use in my rotation. The smell isn't my favorite but it doesn't stick around too long thankfully. I think this would be good for times when I've had a particularly rough shave and need something to sooth my skin and disinfect.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I picked some of this up at Whole Foods to use on a bit of poison ivy. It never occurred to me to try it as an aftershave! I can say that it wiped out the itching from pison ivy and seemed to help get rid of the rash sooner.
I love this. Just bought some at Sprouts. Going to try the lavender next.
This stuff has been one of my go-to products for a long time. It tones like a normal witch hazel but fights razor burn like no other. The scent is nice and doesnt stick around for long. Really one of those products I cant go without. A bottle lasts for atleast a year. Mine is 18 months old as of now and still 25% full. For under ten bucks...Youd be crazy not to have it. Great for sunburns too!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I love this stuff. I use it after almost every shave.

It tones & seals my skin and absolutely destroys any razor burn. After rinsing my face w/warm water, I'll apply it, clean my brush/scuttle/razor, whatever ... put on deodorant, dry my hair, hum the soundtrack to The Sound of Music, do a little of the ol' soft shoe & then rinse with cold water. Works like a charm.

Like some others, I find the burn to be more noticeable if my shave has been a bit rough and/or very, very close. But the burn is fleeting and far from cringe-worthy.

Highly recommended! :biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Just got a bottle of this a couple months back from Whole Foods. I've been using Thayer's Rose for a couple of months and have been less than impressed. This stuff is a COMPLETELY different beast.

Price: No complaints here as this stuff will probably last for the better part of a year.

Quality: As always, Thayer's makes a great product.

Razor Burn: After using this stuff, I have to ask, "What is razor burn?"

Cooling: Extremely mild, barely noticable on me. If you're looking for ice, look somewhere else.

Scent: Familiar, although I can't quite place it. Not unpleasant, but not great...short lived so it doesn't really matter.

Efficacy: It does what it is supposed to do.

Moisturizing: I've actually skipped the balm after using this stuff...I'm not sure if it is SUPPOSED to moisturize, but I think the aloe does a great job.

Alcohol Burn:
Mild as can be...a slight sting, but not long-lived.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I enjoy using this product. It cools my face and the sent does not overpower. It is available locally but I would order it online if not.
Just tried this stuff. I really like it.

Price: 9, super cheap compared to what I usually use

Quality: 8, Really good stuff for the money

Fights Razor Burn: I normally don't get razor burn, but I got nicked this time and did get a little burn because I forgot to change my blade yesterday. This stuff fixed me right up.

Cooling Sensation: This is really nice. Not as cooling as Gillette After Shave Gel, but it's good.

Scent: It's good, but I'm not sure how long it will linger and I'm not sure if it will clash with my colognes. So I just gave it a five.

Efficacy: Gave it a five because I don't even know what the word means. Sorry all. Too lazy to look it up.

Moisturizing: 5, it does well, but I have other products that Kick Butt in this area

No Alcohol Burn: 10, I didn't get any alcohol burn with this. Too cool.

I like it because its a cool old school product that is inexpensive and rocks.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Price: My local supermarket had a special on all Thayer's witch hazel for 5.99 each. Cannot argue with that price

Quality: Not much to say here.

Fights Razor Burn: Nothing special here, I don't consider witch hazel to be very effective at helping razor burn but it does cool it down somewhat.

Cooling Sensation: Decent cooling sensation although nothing compared to Proraso Splash.

Scent: The scent of this is great....I get mostly camphor but the peppermint is there as well. I often just smell the bottle because i love the scent so much,

Efficacy: I really am not a believer in witch hazel but I do find it does help somewhat.

Moisturizing: Decent moisturizer but if you have dry skin this will not be enough.

No Alcohol Burn:This contains some alcohol but despite this has no alcohol burn.

Overall a good product that I find does not really do much in terms of helping irritation. I use it mostly because I enjoy the scent and It leave the skin feeling nice.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Very, very nice. I went on a Witch Hazel Binge, started using this, and haven't looked back. Haven't tried the other varieties yet, for that matter...

It goes on with a slight sting but within seconds the burn is gone and a light cooling sensation takes its place. The peppermint scent is noticeable but not dominating.

Not sure on the moisturizing, I've felt like I should follow up with some Aveeno afterwards, but lately that's happening less and less. It certainly tightens the skin afterwards.

Bought this from iHerb and the price / shipping for a first-timer was unbeatable. Check the web for $5 coupons. Shipping was fast as well.

Will buy again.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Great stuff: nice cooling senstaion from the menthol, the aloe moisturizes, WH and alcohol tighten/tone. A simple, quality product. Soaks in well. A fav along with the Rose and Lav (also from Thayers). I consider it an aftershave and ASB in one.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Price: $7.49 for 12 oz.- Need I say more?

Quality: They didn't cut any corners here- take a gander at the ingredients: Thayers Proprietary Witch Hazel, Peppermint, Camphor, Calendula, Eucalyptus, Clove, Aloe Vera, and natural grain alcohol as a preservative (20%).

Razor Burn/Cooling Sensation? What razor burn? The only thing I feel is ice slathered all over my face!

Scent: Nice peppermint scent that dries down to a mild clove on me. Very enjoyable.

Efficacy: It does what its supposed to do- leaves my skin toned, refreshed, and gets rid of razorburn quick.

Moisturizing: As an individual w/ somewhat oily skin (and living in very humid Washington, DC)- the moisture is actually just right for me right now. It does not leave my skin dry.

No alcohol burn: I was actually mildly suprised- I thought it would compare to Kiehl's blue- but the burn was much more subdued.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Great product. Love the peppermint scent. It gives a little tingle as to be expected but doesn't set your face on fire like some other aftershaves. Smells kinda like SeaBreeze to me. My only complaint was the shipping. I ordered directly from Thayers & the shipping was as much as the product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
From the moment I put this stuff on my face, I knew it was different. As the original post states, the aroma of peppermint smacks you in the nose (this is a agood thing as long as you like peppermint).

The Super Witch Hazel really cools the skin, and it put to bed the burning sensation that I had been feeling not only from razor burn but also from the Tend Skin that I had used earlier in the day.

It doesn't moisturize as well as the alcohol free Thayer's but that is to be expected. Overall, a great product for burns and other irritations. Highly recommend!

-Jeff :cool:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I ordered some of this just because no one has reviewed it yet, and i am not dissapointed.
When you open the bottle for the first time, you are sacked in the face by the awesome peppermint scent, i usually use Dickensons witch hazel, which smels horrid, so this was a nice change for me.
Ingredients: Thayers Proprietary Witch Hazel, Peppermint, Camphor, Calendula, Eucalyptus, Clove, Aloe Vera, and natural grain alcohol as a preservative (20%).

Price: You cant go wrong for 12 oz for $9.00 from Thayers website. I know you can get the "normal" witch hazel for less than half that price at your local pharmacy, but if you want top shelf, this is the stuff.

Quality: Not much to say here, all the ingredients are natural, and Thayers always makes some top quality products.

Fights Razor Burn: Razor Burn? After you apply this, you wont remember you even HAD razor burn.

Cooling Sensation: I gave this a 5 because even though there is some cooling, its not an extreme cooling like Aqua Velva gives, its suprising that the peppermint and eucalyptus dont give it more of a kick in this department, but its enjoyable either way.

Scent: If you like the smell of peppermint, you will love this product, its not a REALLY strong peppermint scent, but its a good smell to wake up to in the morning.

Efficacy: It did exactly what it says on the bottle: "Cooling and Soothing Relief from Minor Itches, Skin Irritations and Burns". I believe razor burn would qualify for "Skin Irritations".

Moisturizing: It actually dries your skin out since it contains 20% alcohol, I would say to use any moisturizing A/S to counteract the drying effect.

No Alcohol Burn: I put this on before i applied Aqua Velva, and i can tell you that the burn from Aqua Velva was 10x worse than this, i know a lot of people are put off by any alcohol in an aftershave, but unless you have EXTREME razor burn, the alcohol burn is hardly noticeable.

On a side note, this is also great for your medicine kit, takes the pain away from sunburn, any cut or scratch, and if you have a papercut this is the stuff to use.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)