What's new

Simpson Colonel X2L Best

Item Description

The Simpson Colonel X2L Best is here!
Last week I placed an order at Vulfix, after a pleasant phone call with Brett, whom I immediately want to thank for his help and courtesy. I simply wanted to add another great brush to my collection. This brush had to respond to 5 requirements:

1. It had to be a Simpson. I’m a huge, huge, huge Simpson fan and I honestly believe that Simpsons are great, fantastic, outstanding brushes. Or, to be more precise, I truly think that they are the very best shaving brushes in the World.

2. It had to be in Best badger hair. As confirmed by both Brett (Vulfix-Simpson General Manager) and Mark (Vulfix-Simpson Managing Director), the current Best hair grade is of exceptional quality: soft tips, great backbone and nice scrubby feeling on the skin. I can personally confirm, since my Duke 3 Best is a soft brush, with an excellent backbone and also a densely filled knot, that allows it to work wonderfully with both soaps and creams (the Duke 3 Best is also my absolute favourite shaving brush, of them all).

3. It had to have a knot diameter of 22/23 mm, filled with good density. This knot diameter size is my favourite: not too big, not too small. Simply perfect.

4. It had to have a nice looking, large handle. Just like my beloved Duke, it had to be a brush with a beautiful, comfortable handle, easy to keep in the hand.

5. It had to be reasonably priced. I was looking for a high quality brush at an affordable cost.

The Colonel X2L Best responded to all these points, therefore I pulled the trigger on this gorgeous model.

Latest reviews

Pros: Perfect balance between scrub/backbone and softness
Cons: Maybe a slightly longer handle? No biggie though. Just a minor detail
I got this one of the BST so new it hadn't even started to bloom yet.
It's my favorite brush and the one I use almost exclusively.
I bowl lather and it works excellently for that.
I tried face lathering and it lathers great but the scritch is slightly more than my face can handle so it will remain my bowl brush.
Nice backbone so I can lather anything with it. Creams, croaps and hard soaps. It lathers them all to a fine, creamy lather.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Just the right amount of backbone and softness
Cons: Lather hog
This was my first good quality brush and the brush that has made me look forward to getting up in the morning to shave.
It lathers easily and without hardly any effort. It does tend to hog lather, but there's plenty for 2 solid passes and enough for a third, but it gets thin. The backbone on this is great, it gives lots of resistance when loading, yet yields on the beard when face lathering to make for a great feeling. I rated it a 5 on tip stiffness, but I think this is a positive. The "trunk" of the bristles remain stiff, but the tips are yielding. They are still a bit scratchy to let you know you're getting it worked in, but pleasurable.
I love this brush.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Handle, Price, Density, Verstaility
Cons: Lettering comes off
Picked this brush up after my Duke 2, which i found a tad small in the handle.

The colonel is great for bowl, face lathering and is a perfect match if you like to do both.

Handle is nice and long, doesn't klang around the scuttle and works great for face lathering as well.

Only problem I have with it is the lettering comes over very quickly, actually after the first weeks, it's near bare in the writing.

If you can live with the lettering issue, it's the best bang for the buck out there in a $60-80 badger.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)