What's new

Sharp Stainless - Version 2

Item Description

displayimage.php

A short while back, my good friend Rene (SSLStudio) sent me a 5-Pack of Sharp razor blades. It regrettably took me longer than I had intended to test them and sadly took even longer to get a review put together. With my sincerest apologies to Rene for the delay, here are my thoughts…

Price – The only way I currently know how to get hands on these bad boys is to order them from Rene. Luckily, Rene’s prices are exceptional.

Sharpness – While these aren’t the sharpest blades on the market, I believe that they would easily land on most gents’ top 5 list and realistically in the top 3. They are certainly plenty sharp enough to provide a nice shave.

Longevity – The longevity or durability of these blades would be their Achilles heel. I comfortably get 2-3 shaves from each blade and can squeeze out a fourth if necessary but not without some mild irritation.

Smoothness of Shave – In a word, Remarkable! This is the only blade that I have used which can consistently compete with a Derby in the smoothness category. The Sharp’s blades are very easy to shave with.

Packaging – I find the packaging of these blades very interesting. Upon initial inspection, I was very non-plussed by the cardboard 5-Pack as I’ve come to enjoy the plastic hard case employed by Derby/Feather/Merkur. While the box itself is certainly nothing special, I do quite enjoy the double wrapping of each blade.
displayimage.php

This feature allows you to toss a couple of blades into the shave kit without worry of the edges being damaged in transit.

Quality – I rank the overall quality of this product quite highly and have a great respect for Sharp’s blades. I would love it if they lasted for a few more shaves, but at their current price, they are quite a bargain.

Overall – While testing these blades, I had the opportunity to both use them at home and while traveling. While I don’t think the Sharp’s will be replacing my beloved Derby’s anytime soon, they certainly are a blade that I will purchase for my travel kit and that I will gladly recommend to any of my shave brethren.

For discussion on the Sharp razor blade, see this thread.

Latest reviews

Smooth. Forgiving. Sharp enough for me.

The price is not bad for a stainless steel blade.

The quality looks to be very good.

Sharp enough for several DFSs with 3 or 4 passes. I swap out after 3 shaves, but only because of the longevity ratings here. I will try for more and see what happens, or not. At this price they are a deal at 3 shaves.

Longevity = undetermined. I have been pitching them after 3 shaves. Never a bad experience.

Smoothness is great with proper preparation. I shower, whip up a super lather, take my time.

Packaging is nice and sensible. No plastic. Two wrappers. No glue.

I like low-cost stainless steel blades. These are similar to the Shark SS blade, perhaps my favorite. SS blades serve me well in a Feather stainless steel razor, or an HD, or a Futur, or a classic Merkur.. Zero irritation, no burn, no weepers, no problems. Shaving with this gear is comfortable and painless. I don't need platinum, chrome, or exotic coatings to get DFSs. YMMV.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I was quite surprised when I tried these the first time. I received them free with an order of other essentials, and soon ordered more. I had been using Feathers and was getting some of the best shaves of my life, though the price of Feather blades was a little much for me. Sharp blades seem to be quite as good as the Feather, but without the smoothness I associate with Feather shaves.

The downside to these is that they do not last long at all. After three shaves, out it goes, or irritation will be a major problem. On the other hand, they are cheaper than Feather, and I can only get about five shaves from a Feather, so the value is better with Sharp.

Highly recommended blade.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
These blades have earned a solid "B" in my razors. They were part of the WCS "everything" sampler, and they cost about $16 per hundred in bulk. I have used these blades with a "Chessman" vintage Merkur slant and with the new-ish incarnation of the Mühle R89.

My first shave with the Sharp did not go well, but as my technique has stabilized I find that I can get 3-4 good shaves from each blade. The fourth shave generally isn't as close, but is still fairly smooth.

I doubt that I will replace the five-pack, but they did give me some excellent shaves.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)