What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps - Liquid

Item Description

My job requires me to take multiple, week-long trips throughout the year. When going on one of these trips, I like to intentionally forget a toiletry or two as it gives me an excuse/motivation to shop the area in which I’m staying.

On one of my more recent excursions I stopped into a Whole Foods to pick up a bar of bath soap (I hate the stuff they have at hotels). After fulfilling this need with a bar of Bee & Flower Sandalwood soap, I took a trip down the isle containing all of the travel-sized items. While reaching for a miniature tube of Tom’s of Maine Apricot Toothpaste, I noticed these little bottles of Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap. As they were priced somewhere around the $2.50 mark, I figured what the heck. I snatched up a bottle of the Lavender and made my way to the checkout lane.

Upon returning to my hotel room and in no need of a shower, I decided to try out this new acquisition as a face wash. To summarize, it was excellent. I was so pleased by the performance of this soap that by the end of the week I had managed to make two more trips to the store, ultimately returning with a bottle of every selection they carried (minus the baby-mild version).

Besides the initial trial as a face wash, I’ve gone on to test this product as a shower gel and have even put a drop or two in with my shaving cream. All in all, Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap is a terrific offering. I highly recommend it!

Price – Dirt Cheap! Around $2.50 will get you a travel-sized bottle, and like any other product out there, the bigger the bottle you buy, the bigger the savings are. Available quantities include 2 OZ., 4 OZ., 8 OZ., 16 OZ., 32 OZ., HALF-GAL., GALLON, 5-GAL. SIZES.

I find that 4-5 drops is plenty to wash my entire face and bald head so I probably won’t be snatching up that 5-GAL jug anytime soon. :eek:

Quality – Outstanding! When a product performs this well, it is no surprise to find that it is an organic product. Perusing their website quickly turned up their ingredient list: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Citric Acid, Vitamin E plus whatever organic additives are necessary for each scent variation.

Latherability – This is the only area where Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap doesn’t blow the top off of the charts. It lathers adequately but will likely disappoint those who feel the need for huge mounds of suds while bathing. A body puff (that’s right, I use one :ihih: ) serves as a good tool for application though I had no troubles without one.

Moisturizing – Other than pure olive oil soap, this is the only cleansing product that I will let touch my face. It does a great job of cleansing dirt and oil from the face, and it is not even slightly drying. It leaves my skin feeling soft, supple, and clean.

During the dryer winter months, I’ve really struggled to find a good bath soap that doesn’t further dry my skin. Though I will have some time to wait, I’m anxious to test this product during those times. Based on what I’ve seen so far, I have very high expectations for it.

Scent – I’ve tried Almond, Lavender, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Tea Tree and find all of them to be special in their own way.
  • Almond – the classic Almond (maraschino cherry) scent. It is sweet, but not overpowering.
  • Lavender – I’m a Lavender fiend so this one is a no-brainer. Great stuff!
  • Peppermint – The Peppermint provides a great, cooling tingle and a pleasant smell.
  • Eucalyptus – Very unique. At first sniff, I wasn’t overly jazzed about this scent, but it has grown on me. Eucalyptus is known for being a natural bug repellent so perhaps this one is a winner for the summer months.
  • Tea Tree – Aaahhh the addictive stink of Tea Tree Oil. An acquired taste for sure, and if you can handle it, this one is absolute tops as a facial soap. Like the Peppermint, it also has an invigorating tingle.

Besides using each scent solo, I’ve also combined a few of the obvious ones with good results. Lavender and Peppermint work very well together, and Peppermint with Tea Tree is also very pleasing.

One word of caution, the Peppermint and Tea Tree scents provide enough of a tingle that they may be mildly uncomfortable for use on sensitive areas (armpits and the more obvious places :wink: ).

Packaging – Environmentally conscious and pleasing to they eye, what more could one ask for? The bottles are made from 100% Post-Consumer Recycled PET plastic.

The text on the bottle (outside of the product name and ingredient list) is a bit strange. Reading up on their website helps explain exactly what is going on here. Its quirky but with good intentions.

Overall – I’m a big fan! It’s gentle yet thorough, smells great, is all natural, and very affordable. I’ve tried many different soaps, gels, and what have you over the years, and this is one of the very few that have ever gotten me really excited.

Having been around since the ‘40’s, this is definitely a time-tested and proven product. I will definitely be a repeat buyer. :thumbup:

Discussion related to this review can be found here.

Latest reviews

I just tried this for the first time. The peppermint has a great scent! The soap is not very viscous but to me had great latherability and I used it in my hands without a sponge. I will review in a few weeks after I begin using it
I have been using Dr. Bronner liquid soaps as a daily shower soap for some time and it has been a great product. I get it in the quart size containers. My favorite scents are the almond, tea tree and citrus scents. The scents make the shower a very pleasant experience and the soap makes me feel really clean with no residue. I squirt a small amount on a "poof" ball and get a great lather.
I prefer their Organic Shikakai line of liquid soaps for the extra moisturizing effect.

Item information

Added by
Kyle
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Skin & Body Care (Reviews)

More from Kyle

Share this item