What's new

Shark... Oh the Shark has, some fine shaves dear,

I have been using Derby's and Feathers and Sharks.
Derby's are Ok, Feathers are good but go blunt quite quickly.
I had been changing blades about every 5 shaves, I learnt to feel the 'tug' and that was when I changed blade.
I had been neglecting the Sharks, so decided to try one now I have more experience of the other blades.
Well I cannot lie. You will think I am mad....
But, as a test I decided to shave with the Shark until I feel the tug or the pain when you know a blade is blunt. I would then know how the Shark compares to the others.
Here's the thing, I am into my third week of shaving with the same Shark blade, and it still isn't tugging. Maybe I have got a haunted blade or something, but I am going to keep shaving until it tugs. Can't be much longer.
But I have to report what I find, and the longevity of these blades are staggering!
I wish I didn't have a 200 pack of Derby's or I would be buying a lifetime supply of Sharks.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price and Smooth shave for coarse beard type
Cons: None thusfar
The best shave I have ever had since my wedding day. Great for coarse beard types. Doesn't pull. Very smooth.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth & Comfortable
Great longevity
Cheap as chips
Feels efficient
Only one wrapper to get through
Tiny glue dots that don't get on the blade edge
Cons: None
Obviously, these are subjective reviews here but for me these are great blades. Frankly, all of the Lord brand blades work well for me and these are widely available and incredibly cheap. ($8.75 for 100 on Amazon atm)

The Shark SS blades are very comfortable for me and provide a wonderful closeness. I always take longevity and price into account when purchasing things and these have, IMO, the best longevity to price ratio of all the blades I've tried.

I added in the pros that these blades come wrapped only once which is a pro for me as I find it silly that blades need to be double wrapped to protect them from something. Also, the glue dots that hold the blade in place in the wrapper are tiny on these which is wonderful as I often see the glue covering blade edges on other brands.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Just bought these blades during my summer holidays in Turkey. Bought a pack (containing 5 blades) for (hold your breath!) 0,25 Turkish Lira or 0,125 Euro or 1.25 Swedish crowns or 18 Cents US. I bought 40 packets and just tried it this morning and WOW! One of the smoothest blades that I have ever used. Sharp but not as sharp as the Indian Wilkinson or the Indian Super Max but wow for the price quality ratio. I should have bought 300 (to last a life time!). Don't know about the longevity as yet. But WOW once again!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Good Price
Cons: 2 shave max is all I have been able to use
Not a bad blade, not as sharp as I was lead to believe, but not bad and would use again, would recommend you try them or you could miss out. All blades are the same standard no poor quality mix as some brands.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Pros: The closeness, smoothness and comfort of these blades. :-D
Cons: In my opinion....none!!!!
I find Shark Super Chrome's to be moderately sharp, (perfect...with no pulling or tugging), very, very smooth, (albeit a 'weeper' now and then…but zero 'nicks'), very little to no irritation and no touch of razor burn resulting in DFS's in 3 passes (WTG, CTG and ATG), with 2 great shaves per blade (Saturdays are my shaving 'day off'). :thumbsup:
After trying many different blades over many, many years...Shark Super Chrome's are 'awesome' (my one and only go-to), blades and are very compatible with both of my Merkur 23C and 38C razors.
:straight: A razor [blade] can't be sharpened on a piece of velvet. Author Unknown
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
(reposted from a discussion) Just used a SS last week for 5 days. zero nicks, cuts, or blood. Held its edge. Seems like it would be a fine daily razor. Seems to be a step or 2 above the white Wilk Sword for me. It wasnt sensational by any means, but it cut the hair off, didnt hurt, and didnt bleed. I was scared at fist as the paper wrapper and wax paper looked like it was folded and wrapped kinda shoddy. But it did fine for me. Nothing super-fab but didnt leave me crying. Not very smooth. I wussed out and dumped the blade at the end of the week. the burn at the end progressively got worse.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: they were free
Cons: not close nor comfortable
I found it better quality than over-priced drug store no-names, and mine were free, however the shave I just had was very draggy and took many passes to get the same closeness I get from my Wilkinson or Personnas. I won't be buying them. Packing is pretty, but it's all paper.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Cool picture on box and name.
Cons: Not sharp at all.
I have very little to say about this blade. It is very cool looking packaging. The blade is wrapped nicely. I tried 2 blades because I thought the first one was not sharpened completely at the factory. I am not sure who could possibly like these. Tugged terribly from the start. It was really uncomfortable. I will never buy these blades.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: It's forgiving.
Cons: It's dull and it bites.
I have tried a few types of DE blades and the Shark Super Stainless are the worst so far. The first use of a fresh blade feels like the blade is trying to bite your face off (ironically to the name). Any subsequent use feels like, well, nothing is really happening. The blade is so smooth, it's dull. To be fair, my facial hair is thick. However, Derby, which is also considered to be a smooth blade, gives me a good shave.

On the positive side, I guess they are forgiving. I didn't feel like I can easily cut myself even though my skin would feel irritated especially after the first shave. And yes, they are cheap, but many better blades are as well. Longevity is irrelevant IMHO since the blade just doesn't work for me.

I have used a few Shark blades and will give them another go until my pack of ten ends. My prediction is that I am never going to go back to these afterwards.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I tried these in a slim and my Mergress and it was just not good for me. It tugged and pulled the whole time in both razors. I was able to get a passable shave, but it was in no way pleasant. I tried three different blades out of the pack and all were exactly the same. For me, there were three good points. First, they were consistent. All three blades were equally bad for me, so I guess that's good. Second, the price was good. The blades were bad for me, but they weren't expensive so I chalk the money lost up to an experiment. Lastly, I got to deal with Phil at Bullgoose. I have never had a less than amazing dealings with him and the shipping is always blazing fast. I wish these worked better for me, but I think I'm in the minority since many people have such great experiences with them.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: got them free from a freind
Cons: pulls like a 2 dollar pocket knife
Did not even finish my first pass with this blade it pulled so badly. at some point i may try another blade just to be shure it wasnt just a bad blade but not ready to feel that pull again. even if the rest of the pack seemed fine i would not buy these again, nor recomend them to anyone.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive.
Cons: Sorry, but they don't work well in a shavette.
This is limited to using them in a shavette. The 1/2 blade sample I got wasn't sharp enough even for a WTG pass! I had purchased two Shavettes from shave nation, so I had a second 1/2 blade that I tried with a hot towel and Pacific shave cream and the same thing happened. So I guess for me the cheese stands alone.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
picture.php

I admit it. The picture got me. That, and the name.

I'd been shaving with the much maligned and sometimes admired Dorco ST-301 , and was happy to find myself in the minority that gets good results with the Korean blades with the funny name.

When it was time to restock, I decided a new blade was in order...and it would be nice to have a blade with a cool name for a change. My drawer of modern blades stared at me - "Personna, Dorco" . It was almost insulting.

That's when the Sharks caught my eye. I read a review that praised them. I read a couple of positive comments. I saw the wrapper with the skookin' blue shark. When a fellow member offered some up for sale, I jumped the Shark, er, jumped at the chance to try these Egyptian Sharks.

The price of these is in the value category. As of this writing, member Melyus offers them for $15 shipped per hundred. I saw Shark brand blades elsewhere for a little more, but I'm not sure they are the same. Other sources show a picture of Chrome Sharks, with different packaging.

Quality seems good.

Sharpness seems to hit a sweet spot for me. They are sharp enough to handle my moderate beard, but still forgiving and smooth. The first pass takes a lot of whiskers with it. I've had a couple shaves where I went WTG twice on the neck and left it at that, saving the XTG and ATG passes for the cheeks and jawline. The blade is sharp enough to deliver a high grade DFS on the neck that way, and there is no irritation.

I'm sure there are sharper blade, but for me the Shark is "Sharp Enough".

Longevity seems better than the Dorco ST-301. I would get three multi-pass shaves out of the Korean blade, and then ditch them. The Shark blade seems perfectly fine after five multi-pass shaves. Seven shaves in to the Shark, and it's time to change. I could squeeze another shave, maybe two, out of it, but why?

The Shark gives me a smooth shave. In fact, I kind of miss the megaburn from my Florida Water.

The packaging is basic. Cardboard box of five, paper wrapper, wax paper, some glue on the blade. The glue isn't really obnoxious, but I'd prefer that it wasn't there at all.

I like these Sharks. They shave great, the price is right and the packaging has a nice, retro-cool look. They are certainly worth a try, and I think even a shaver that decides that the Shark isn't going to dethrone their favorite blade will be glad to have a pack in the blade collection.

After all, look at the shark logo. You gotta admit, the kid in you thinks that is pretty awesome.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Though I've only shaved with one of these blades so far, I'd have to rate it high on quality just because of the smoothness and longevity.

I got eight shaves with a Shark in a Tech, using a good quality (Body Shop) shave cream, a record for me. If I had done some shaves with the Old Spice sensitive in the can, longevity may have been a bit lower. And yes, they were VERY smooth shaves. The only other blade I know of that's as smooth or smoother is the Treet Classic carbon.

Sharpness is in the sweet spot for me too. Not quite as sharp as a Derby, and a bit sharper than a Crystal or a Dorco 301, which also works for me.

After this trial I ordered 100 of these blades from a member here who is also active over at SMF. It was all done by PM's, and the price then was $12.00 for 100, including shipping. Now that he has a Web site, the price is higher, but that may also be due to the beating the dollar has been taking on international markets...

Packaging may not be as convenient as some others, but I like the recyclable nature of all cardboard and paper.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Overall, a great blade. Here is how I would rate it relative to other blades.

Gillette SharpEdge
Iridium
Feather
Gillette Perma Sharp
Shark
Gillette Swede
IP
Dorco ST-301

Price - $0.15 a blade, no issue here.
Quality - Consistent in the pack, a few minor cosmetic blemishes.
Sharpness - Not the sharpest blade, but still very good
Longevity - 4-5 shaves
Smoothness - Not many blades are noticeably sharper
Packaging - No issue here
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I've used thse all thsi week, and they are a great choice. In a red-tip superspeed no irritation, good smooth shave.

Excellent price from Melyus and the cool shark graphics rock.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Let's start at the bottom with packaging. I recently switched from Derby Extra blades to these. The reason? The Derbys don't have a SHARK on the box. Enough said.

At under 20 cents a blade you can't go wrong with these, they are at least as sharp as, and in my opinion longer lasting than, the Derby blades. The shave is super smooth after your basic three pass shave, and i've noticed my face is taking longer to feel rough to the touch. Overall and excellent products, highly recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These are my go to blade at the moment. The fact that I can get them locally is a major plus. The Sharks are the only blade that doesn't drag or pull at my face and I can easily go 3 passes with touch-ups after wards. Highly recommend for the "newb" or seasoned vet, these do not disappoint.

Russ
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
These guys are sharp but lack the smoothness of slightly more expensive blades. They fall just a tad short in longevity as well but are perfectly acceptable for what they cost.

For some reason, when I switched over, I started getting random bumps (ingrowns). They don't last long and that's usually a sign that I'm using a really sharp blade. My Russian Yellows are sharper but much more smooth and the bump phenomena didn't last long at all after I started using them.

I would definitely say to a noobie to skip the 7 a.m.'s (for the price) and try some Sharks on your way up the blade ladder.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)