What's new

Ralf Aust 6/8, full hollow, American (square) point, in natural horn scales

A classic modern German straight razor hand crafted by an expert in his field

Item Description

Ralf Aust has an attention to detail and passion not often seen these days in the world of German straight razor production. His training began at 15yo with grinding scissors for Waldmin & Saam in about 1970. He later moved around to several different manufacturers in Solingen including Boker. For a time Herr Aust supported his father-in-law producing straight razors before establishing his own shop “Raziermessermanufaktur Aust”. To this day Ralf Aust produces some of the finest straight razors available, crafted from true German steel that he acquires from his home-town of Solingen. Ralf works alone, overseeing every single step of production and honing by hand to ensure a top-notch product.

Herr Aust uses a mix of machinery old and new. One of his grinding machines for thinning his razors was inherited, while his laser etching and cutting machines are the best available for engraving his mark on his blades and precision cutting his wooden scales. Ralf Aust continues to refine, innovate, and learn his craft.

Notes:
  1. This razor is one of Ralf Aust's stock straight razors. He also manufactures custom straight razors to your requirements.
  2. As these straight razors are individually hand made, there will be some variations in measurements between razors.
Technical Specification

Blade material = high carbon steel
Blade hardness = approximately 59 RHC
Edge length = 65mm
Blade width = 22mm (⅞) - maker claims 6/8
Blade thickness = 0.14mm at top of bevel
Grind = full hollow
IMG_20211115_145219.jpg
Point = American (square)
Stabiliser = double
Mass = 57g
Smile = <1mm
Jimps = none
Tail length = 27mm when opened 270°
Balance (opened 180°) = 17mm from pivot towards blade
Spine thickness = 5.6mm
Spine decoration = etched

IMG_20211115_153824.jpg
Bevel angle = 16.3°
Scales material = natural horn
Scales width at pivot = 13.6mm
Spacer = parallel - horn
Pins = nickel alloy (2)
Scales thickness (max.) = 11.7mm at about ⅓ length from pivot
Length overall (closed) = 159mm
Length overall (open 180°) =239mm
Height overall (closed) = 25.5mm
Packaging = cardboard coffin
Face markings are as shown - reads SOLINGER HANDARBEIT. There are no back markings. Shank stamping as shown.

IMG_20211115_145610.jpg
Shank stamping at rear as shown.

IMG_20211115_145324.jpg
Pivot pin is fitted with brass washers between shank and scales.

Latest reviews

Great SR of Impeccable Quality
Pros: Quality cannot be faulted
Just love these natural horn scales
Cons: Came shave-ready but not quite up to my desired standard (normal)
I bought this SR for about USD 160 + shipping & taxes in 2021. It was received well packaged with the SR wrapped in VCI paper inside its cardboard coffin.

As received, the SR was shave-ready but not up to my high standard. I put the blade through a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression (0.5μm, 0.25μm & 0.1μm) before shaving with it. All I could say was WOW!

This SR gave me one of the closest and most comfortable shaves that I have ever had.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)