What's new

Chinese Generic 60mm (2-3/8") wide Dual Denim/Calf-hide Hanging Strop

A budget strop that gets the job done.

Item Description

For about USD 10 (Jun. 2020) on AliExpress and a bit more elsewhere, this strop is ideal for beginners and for travellers.

There are many vendors selling these strops. They are all the same, just badge engineered. Search and just find one that has a price, shipping cost and delivery time that suits you.

Latest reviews

Pros: Great value
Solid hardware
Leather and denim
Flexible for easy storage
Wider than the normal 50mm (2") strop
Cons: Relatively short useable length
Width is a bit less than most blade lengths
Not overly thick
Can't be good because it's not expensive
Technical details:

Length overall (excluding hardware) = 385mm
Useable stropping length = 300mm
Width = 60mm
Leather = tanned calf-hide about 1.5mm thick
Denim = double layer about 1.3mm thick total
Hardware = brass plated steel

The leather strop has a light to medium draw. It comes ready to use, however a rub with the underside of your forearm before each use is recommended.

I use this strop daily at home and can also easily take it with me when traveling. For the price, I also don't get upset if I happen to cut it up when not concentrating on my stropping.

Do not get this strop if you think they must be expensive to be any good.
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
xa_sc_review_field_title.fit_&_finish
4.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
3.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
3.00 star(s)
Last edited:
rbscebu
rbscebu
After cutting up my first two of these strops, I have now been using my third for over 100 shaves and not put a mark on it. Although not expensive, it does a great job on all 36 of my SR's.
rbscebu
rbscebu
These cheap(er) strops are getting harder to find. AliExpress now (Oct. 2020) only have two vendors listing them. One for about USD 13 and the other USD 17.
rbscebu
rbscebu
I recently ordered and just received a couple more of these strops as a spares. They have deteriorated in quality. The change is in the leather used. The leather thickness has been reduced from about 1.4mm down to about 0.8mm. A bit too thin, even for my liking.

I now would not recommend these strops as a beginner's strop. It will be too easy to slice up.

Item information

Added by
rbscebu
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in Strops (Reviews)

More from rbscebu

Top Bottom