What's new

Penhaligon's English Fern - NEW FORMULATION

Item Description

Price: A bit of a sour point because the new reformulation introduced in November 2009, both the puck and bowl do not exude the same feeling of luxury as the original product.

Quality: Regarding the bowl, there are better looking out there, T&H or D.R. Harris comes to mind. The soap itself is good. The set is presented in a hard cardboard box, as most of their other products.

Scent: English Fern, but a bit on the soapy / powdery side. Not a bad thing. It doesn't resemble the EDT scent very closely.

Lather: I've never tried the original English Fern formula with tallow so I can't compare, but perhaps other could chime in on this topic. It lathers very similar to T&H's soap, but takes more effort to get it there.

Efficacy: No complaints

Moisturizing: No complaints

So what makes this product stand out and cost more?! The name, and the presentation to some extent. If you can afford to spend GBP35.00 ($65USD) then there's no reason not to try it. If you feel the cost is on the steep side, then there are other triple milled british soaps which are just as good, or better.

Latest reviews

I went to Chicago for my honeymoon and picked up a refill puck at T&H. My wife actually picked this puck for me because she loved the scent. This has quickly moved to the top of my list. Lathers just right, cushions great and leaves my skin feeling soft.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I went to London last weekend for buying a bowl of English Fern in their beautiful shop in Burlington Arcade (and a few other things at the three T's and Harris in the neighbourhood).

I had heard so much about that the old formulation was so much better than the new formulation. I have never tried the old formulation, but if that is true, it must have been second to absolutely none.:drool:

I find the new formulation - well, after only three shaves - as a very fine soap with a scent I am very pleased with. And I find it very easy for me to build a 1st class lather.:thumbup:

I find it very moisturizing and nice to the skin in my face.:biggrin1:

It is a little bit expensive compared to other fine soaps from St. James's and Mayfair in London, but I'm sure that I'll be very happy having that soap in my rotation.

By the way, I was told in the shop, that there might be another new English Fern coming up later this year to celebrate 100 years for the first English Fern.:001_unsur Well, it might only be a rumor.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I've been comparing the original formulation to this new one for the past couple of weeks. They are both excellent soaps and both make great lather. I am beginning to think that the original formulation might make a slightly better lather, but, on the other hand, I am finding that the new formulation seems to offer better lubrication and moisturizing. I notice that the blades I've been using, which are both close to needing a few passes on a honing strop, seem to cut better and pull less with the new formulation than they do with the old.

Item information

Added by
slickster514
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Shaving Soaps (Reviews)

More from slickster514

Top Bottom