What's new

Santa Maria Novella "Ottone"

Item Description

400th Anniversary Festivities​

Ottone (Brass) marks the opening of the festivities commemorating the 400th anniversary of Officina di Santa Maria Novella’s founding. The selection of these particular notes according to their promotional literature, reflects SMN’s return to countries where it was known in the 18th century.

Ottone takes us to Northern Europe, Germany, and Russia; it is enveloping and decisive.

True story….
On August 2nd of this year I wondered into SMN’s shop in Rome located at Corso del Rinascimento, no.47.
As usual during this time of year, it was quite warm and the cool air conditioned surroundings of the shop was very welcoming.
I was introduced to Ottone and sampled it. I thought nothing of it, and was on my way after makes some other purchases.

Later that same day I began to notice a very pleasant scent. I then realized that it was coming from me, where I had sampled their new fragrance. It had matured into something quite irresistible - I must have it!

The rest is history.

About this new fragrence....
The composition of this unique scent is somewhat difficult to describe, so I rely on a second party interpretation:

“The head notes are rose, bergamot, petitgrain leading to a heart of oregano, cinnamon, clove and pepper, before finishing its course with sandalwood, cedar wood and incense.”

This leads to the question of why naming this most recent creation “Ottone” or “Brass” (the English translation) ?? While I can assure all readers that their new offering is not metallic in any way; there is something in the almost final notes that does reminds me of ottone or brass, in the sweetest and most delicate way possible.

Special Notes of interest………..
According to the shop in Rome, this new offering will -only- be produced and offered until the closing of the festivities in 2012. Each bottle is hand inscribed with a unique serial number. The usual plastic bottle cap is replaced with a machine turned (possibly in brass) metal, and is inscribed 1612 – the founding year. However, I find it difficult to believe that production will cease thereafter. The Rome shop had only recieved their first stock just days prior to my visit.

The cost for 100ml is 170Euro in Rome, twice the cost of their usual colognes. I refrain from commenting on the price. It’s worth it to those who appreciate it and want it.

Another more feminine fragrance called "Porcellana" (Porcelain) has also been released for this occasion under the same terms as its counterpart.

Latest reviews

400th Anniversary Festivities​

Ottone (Brass) marks the opening of the festivities commemorating the 400th anniversary of Officina di Santa Maria Novella’s founding. The selection of these particular notes according to their promotional literature, reflects SMN’s return to countries where it was known in the 18th century.

Ottone takes us to Northern Europe, Germany, and Russia; it is enveloping and decisive.

True story….
On August 2nd of this year I wondered into SMN’s shop in Rome located at Corso del Rinascimento, no.47.
As usual during this time of year, it was quite warm and the cool air conditioned surroundings of the shop was very welcoming.
I was introduced to Ottone and sampled it. I thought nothing of it, and was on my way after makes some other purchases.

Later that same day I began to notice a very pleasant scent. I then realized that it was coming from me, where I had sampled their new fragrance. It had matured into something quite irresistible - I must have it!

The rest is history.

About this new fragrence....
The composition of this unique scent is somewhat difficult to describe, so I rely on a second party interpretation:

“The head notes are rose, bergamot, petitgrain leading to a heart of oregano, cinnamon, clove and pepper, before finishing its course with sandalwood, cedar wood and incense.”

This leads to the question of why naming this most recent creation “Ottone” or “Brass” (the English translation) ?? While I can assure all readers that their new offering is not metallic in any way; there is something in the almost final notes that does reminds me of ottone or brass, in the sweetest and most delicate way possible.

Special Notes of interest………..
According to the shop in Rome, this new offering will -only- be produced and offered until the closing of the festivities in 2012. Each bottle is hand inscribed with a unique serial number. The usual plastic bottle cap is replaced with a machine turned (possibly in brass) metal, and is inscribed 1612 – the founding year. However, I find it difficult to believe that production will cease thereafter. The Rome shop had only recieved their first stock just days prior to my visit.

The cost for 100ml is 170Euro in Rome, twice the cost of their usual colognes. I refrain from commenting on the price. It’s worth it to those who appreciate it and want it.

Another more feminine fragrance called "Porcellana" (Porcelain) has also been released for this occasion under the same terms as its counterpart.

Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
slickster514
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...

More from slickster514

Top Bottom