What's new

Palmolive soap stick

At first I was not happy with it, as it is very hard, so I had trouble getting enough on my face. Since I simply soak the stick like my brush, it works great. A lot like ARKO, but the smell is more soapy. If you can find it locally, pick up a stick (or 2) and give it a try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I purchased this years ago and have been using it for the past few months and found it to be a great deal for the price and a wonderful lather does exist. Doesn't moisturize as well as I would like, but a great tallow. I'd buy again, no doubt.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Walk in to any convenient store around Sweden and you can most certainly pick up a stick of this for 20 SEK (~ $3 )
With that sum in mind consider the very efficient lather, that provides good prep for a great shave. A not-so-funny- scent, but not foul either and you have the best dollar per ounce shaving soap in the world!

I always keep a stick in my travel bag. You can actually get a decent lather without a brush, good enough for a quick shave with a Superspeed / Derby!

:clap::clap:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Chisholm;461198 said:
I bought two 50g sticks for just over £1. That's 100g for £1!!! I put them together in an old shaving bowl and set the microwave to work! A bit of manipulation, pressing and smoothing has given me a 100g of excellent grade shaving soap for peanuts.
An absolute bargain!
Cheers,
Martin :w00t:

Possibly stating the obvious but a little care is needed when doing this.
Tonight I grated two sticks into an appropriate container, pressed it down a bit and microwaved it on full power for a minute. It "volcanoed" quite spectacularly and I nearly burned my fingers trying to pick the thing up. Perhaps half a minute would have been sufficient - just don't go away and leave it!

Price is excellent - 88 pence for the 2 soap sticks and £1.50 for the bowl. Having used this as a stick before, tomorrow's shave will be interesting.
Had my first shave with this today. Top-notch lather, great clean scent.

I scored the price a bit low, as it gets a bit pricey with shipping, but if I lived in the UK, I'd score the price at 20!!

this is a great product that works well.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This was my second shave soap, only purchased because someone picked up the wrong item. At 45p it's worth a try anyway.
I've only used trumpers and truefitt and hills creams previously plus wilkinson soap. By comparison this stands up well against the more expensive brands. The lather is great and moisterises well. I usuall use skin food pre shave, but don't feel I need it with this soap. The only thing that lets it down compared to the more expensive brands is the scent is soapy smell rather than a scent. It's not an offensive smell, and if you apply a cologne after your shave it's irrelevant. A good soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
for 45pence you cant go wrong
D
:yikes: I can't believe something so small and expensive - :biggrin: haaaa!!!! only kidding - can produce so much lather out of nowhere!!

Price - Let me start by saying this thing is free. 44p at my local Asda (read Wal Mart) store and one user saying that it was on offer for 22p at Tesco at a time is just dirt cheap. If there was something higher than a 10 to give this for price, I would. I think a 10/10 doesn't do it justice!! Work out the cost per shave from that and you could be taking very small numbers...

Moisturising and Lather - This lather has to be on a par with Tabac. Touch it in water, dab on your face a couple of times and apply a wet brush to it. BOOM!!! Lather all over the place. After the shave, face feels very spongy and smooth.

Used it with Lotion Opaline and a moisturiser like Korres. I've not had the chance to try anything else.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
The worst thing I've ever used (actually scratch that, worst Soap I've ever used, the Palmolive cream coming in in first place for worst stuff). Truly awful stuff, I shan't be using again anytime soon. I tried to like, I tried to get it to give a satisfactory shave, just not possible. Will be kept only as a reasonable shower soap.

Mines the European, so maybe the US is different????

Tom
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
Have shaved with this for about a week now and find it a great soap. A quick rub around the beard, apply damp brush and after about 30 seconds you have enough lather for multiple passes. Nice soapy scent, not bad at all. Would be better if it came in a plastic holder for travelling and such but price doesn't allow for it. All in all a great soap for an unbeatable price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Bought this soap in a drugstore for 0,85 €.
Never thought that one of these cheap soaps would become one of my favourite. This is a real classy soap and so scent is classy, not sure if everybody likes it, but I do.
It gives a great lather, I really didn't expect that.
I used this soap several times, used only cheap blades and the result was always superb.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Hi,
How or why improve on this?This product has been around for ages,and is certainly a classic.The stick sells at 44p,in my local asda,and is a joke for something so amazing.

In life I generally find that you get what you pay for,but not with this product.It is the cheapest shaving soap I have found,yet it keeps up with the best around.The stick is handy and crude,but it functions like a trooper.

Open the foil,peel it back, wet the face,rub it into the stubble grain.As if by magic with a well applied brush, wonderful,sensational lather explodes from the face!.The scent is quite mild,but lingers.To an Englishman,it is a classic aroma,and is easily recognised.Memories of child hood,the wireless,and days gone by are a hue, in the mind again.The soap contains palm extract,and for something so ordinary,does a magical job of surpressing irritation,and moisturises the face.Everything necessary is there,done without show,and with dependability.

It is true you can pay alot more for a vastly inferior product.I have to say that buying more expensive soaps was just a fad,or whim for me.As this does the job perfectly.

What can you say,in what sphere of life is the cheapest,an equal?.Get down to your nearest asda,you'll have change from a fifty pence piece!.

Martin
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
By far my favorite face lube. Lathers easy, smells great, and leaves my face feeling super smooth. And it's hard to beat lathering with a stick which makes it even easier to get the right combo then face lathering. Packaging is nothing super but does the job. Gets more use than soaps and creams costing two to three times more in my rotation.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I tried this stick this morning.It is my first shaving stick.
I remember reading a stick tutorial here so when I saw it at my local Tesco for the princely sum of 69 cents(€) I decided to have a go.

Having wet my face I proceeded to rub the stick..I was not impressed with the thin film that was on my face no suds bubbles nothing,and the fact that the stick seemed rock hard.
I was about to wipe it off and go back to MWF when I put the brush to it..seconds later my face and brush explode with creamy lather.I did two passes,there was plenty for at least three.It was definitely the best lather to effort ratio I ever got !

The scent is the 'green' Palmolive familiar to most in this part of the world in their hand soap.
The lather didn't seem as thick as say Palmolive cream but certainly no problem with lube/comfort from a 3 day old blade.
The only thing I did notice is that my face felt drier than when using Palmolive cream or MWF(my regulars)
I will certainly use it again, it's available almost for nothing,handier for travel than a soap bowl.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I've absolutely fallen in love with this soap. It's cheap, reliable, easy to use, and makes fantastic lather. 100% from me!:biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I just tried it this morning. It's my first shave stick and I'm quite impressed for a economical product. The scent is nice and clean but not to soapy. I glided on the stick and started to work the brush making good foam. I had enough for a 3 pass. It was moisturizing and did not cause any discomfort.
I can't give a price yet due to I don't know how long it will last.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: price, quality
Cons: scent is not the best
After using this soap for a month in a row some words of praise are in order.
More skin friendly than Tabac, lathering about as good as Arko and with a price tag that is almost insulting this is a product deserving much more credit than it gets (e.g. compared to Tabac) around here.
Why (IMO); it is cheap, it has no sexy brand name and the package is probably developed during an economic crisis. It performs like the big guys or even better and the only reason it is not getting a 10 for price is that that mark is taken by Arko and there can only be just one #1...
I ended up with buying a dozen sticks and I really doubt they will be the last.

You simply have to try this one, at least once in your lifetime!!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
It took me a bit to get used to this stuff, owing to some softer soaps I'd been using, but I've ended up liking it better, I think:) I found it quite physically hard as soaps go, but not hard to get good lather from, and the longevity of the stick is also good. I'm a big fan of tallow soaps, and this one reminds me of why - you can work this stuff up so thick that you don't want to stop working it! LOL The scent is kind of woody, very enjoyable, and doesn't linger, which is to my taste, if not to some. Slip and moisturizing is good, if kind of average, but a very smooth, comfortable result. I could do without the little plastic "handle", I know this is a shave stick (I just used it like I use other soaps), but I just don't think it's necessary; I cut the stick in half, and stuck the halves together at their "sides" in a sort of small block, as I like to hold my soaps in my hand ('little weird that way:) Would I buy it again? Sure:) The price is great, the quality is right up there - a place on ebay from England has the best deal I've seen, even with the shipping, for a lot of three sticks (I only bought one stick, since I hadn't tried it before). If you like Arko or Tabac (and I do!), you'll probably like this too - it's different, but nicely comparable.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Proof that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a great shave. Actually it's hard to believe that something this cheap can be so good (70p or so here in the UK).

It lathers easier than anything else I've tried; the lubrication is second to none - you could probably use it brushless it's that good.

I'm not too keen on the scent, but it's not offensive either.

Fantastic product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This is a fantastic shave soap. It just takes a little bit and the lather just explodes once a wet brush is taken to the face.

The price is very good, I got 2 of these for AU$13 which is a great price given how long a hard soap will last. The lather is just fantastic, very slick and protective!

The scent is a gentle, slightly spicy soap smell...I really like it! Its a bit similar to Speick stick but a bit duller in the scent department.

It will leave your skin feeling very soft and smooth! You will really like the skin care that this soap provides!

Highly Recommended!!! :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing